Anyone have carpal tunnel and still ride?

Bsktcase
Tricycle Squid
Tricycle Squid

Anyone have carpal tunnel and still ride?

#1 Unread post by Bsktcase »

Hi,
I'm new here... a little background - my first bike in 1980 was a Yamaha 250 Exciter. I'm short (5' 2") and have short feet too... so it was a tippy toe bike for me and a 'shift with the toe of my boot that isn't that close to a toe' bike. I moved up to a Yamaha Maxim 550 about a year later - another tippy toe bike for me. Loved to ride and then got carpal tunnel syndrome. The vibration from the handle bars was agony after just a five mile ride. I quit riding and eventually sold the bike.

Now, about 15 years later, and my commute of only 5 miles and a truck that is on it's last legs, I'm ready to ride again. However, I am worried that my carpal tunnel might flare up again. Is there anything out now that helps to dampen the vibration on the grips? (I had padded grips on my 550... didn't help much at all.)

I am excited that I can seat the cruiser 650s from Yamaha and Honda almost flat footed - though tippy toeing isn't all that bad. I was thinking of getting the Honda 250 Rebel, but a test ride on it just made me think that would just be a teaser and I would have to get a new bike right away!
Right now, the only thing stopping me is the ever present fund ($$) concern and the carpal tunnel.

Any insights?
Thanks!
K.

coffee_brake
Legendary 300
Legendary 300
Sex: Male

#2 Unread post by coffee_brake »

Some handlebars are shaped so that they really hurt (writsts, back, shoulders, neck, etc.), and if you just switch bars, the problem stops! This is true for mine and my husbands almost identicle bikes, his curvy bars hurt my writsts a lot but I can ride my flat bars all day long. If your new bike hurts, used handlebars are very inexpensive, just check the diameter and match it up. Asian bikes are usually 7/8" handlebars.

Two things to consider for a smaller person to make holding the bars easier: Thin grips (so smaller hands get a better grip and don't work so hard to hold the throttle and reach the levers), and a Throttle Rocker. The Throttle Rocker is about $10 and it allows you to relax your wrist a lot, because your hand's weight helps hold the throttle in position. I couldn't make a long trip without mine.

Keep the cables lubed well so it isn't hard to pull the levers, and look at some of the newer bikes with the hydraulic clutches that are easy to pull.
Good on you for picking it back up again!
Jenn S.
AMA #658162
2005 Concours
2001 Vmax
1992 CB750

blues2cruise
Sex: Female
Years Riding: 16
My Motorcycle: 2000 Yamaha V-Star 1100

#3 Unread post by blues2cruise »

+1 for the throttle rocker. I used one for my trip and it helped a lot.

Another option is a throttle lock for highway riding. There is a model that unlocks when the brake is pulled.

follow
Legendary 300
Legendary 300

#4 Unread post by follow »

I have had to have surgery on both hands due to Carpal Tunnel...I feel your pain. I use to constantly take my hands off the bars (BAD ADVICE DO NOT DO AS I DO OR DID) and have to rest them downward. Having to change the bars did help. Actually chubbies were better for me. My fingers were able to rest on the bars but still grip (the tighter you grasp the more pain you can have). If you go to your dealer they usually have samples of bars up on some sort of pedestal that you can sample in a sitting position, this way you can see what works for you, Carpal Tunnel is not only in your hands it can start from the shoulder. Oh and while your there look at the different gloves I use the ones that have the gel in the palms they are awesome.
I follow a new highway I haven't traveled before.

[img]http://i41.tinypic.com/2rpwdjq.jpg[/img] [img]http://i43.tinypic.com/wswow4.jpg[/img]

IBA Member: SS1000, BB1500, BBGold

HD 07 Street Glide-mine
HD 02 Road King-ours
Honda 06 ST1300-ours
Honda 97 ST1100-mine

slimcolo
Legendary 1000
Legendary 1000

#5 Unread post by slimcolo »

Adjust your handle bars. On a long trip I readjust my bars about every 150-200 miles just an inch or so. This changes your riding position slightly and will slow fatigue and muscle cramps. Also for wrists try straighter bars (cafe race style, dirt bike style and some lower ape hangers may work, the key is to have wrists in a neutral position during normal riding)

Keep in mind that what is comfortable for short rides is not always the most comfortable on a long ride.