MSF class and question on first bike

rvgal
Rookie
Rookie

MSF class and question on first bike

#1 Unread post by rvgal »

My DH and I will be taking the MSF course this week and we have started looking for our bikes. We will be using the bikes mostly on the west coast, some mountain trips and wondered what you would recommend. I am 5'6" and on the full figured side.
Have been reading the forum for sometime now and looking forward to getting out there on a bike soon.
Thanks
rvgal

blues2cruise
Sex: Female
Years Riding: 16
My Motorcycle: 2000 Yamaha V-Star 1100

#2 Unread post by blues2cruise »

A Yamaha 650 V-Star would be a good first bike for you. It can handle the west coast and the mountians just fine.

rvgal
Rookie
Rookie

#3 Unread post by rvgal »

Well the class is over with and not too soon. The heat was really tuff. Found the class very helpful. Since I had never riden before alot going on the first day but got better. Glad its over and now on to bigger and better things.
:D
rvgal

TylerR
Veteran
Veteran
Sex: Male

#4 Unread post by TylerR »

rvgal wrote:Well the class is over with and not too soon. The heat was really tuff. Found the class very helpful. Since I had never riden before alot going on the first day but got better. Glad its over and now on to bigger and better things.
:D
So have you focused in on any specific bike or style (i.e. cruiser v. sport) yet? There are lots of choices out there and at 5'6" you should have a good range of bikes that will fit you.

Oh and congrats on completing the class!! :)
Spend time with those who make you better.

rvgal
Rookie
Rookie

#5 Unread post by rvgal »

Cruiser will be the style. Spent a good part of the day sitting on a 2007 Vstar 650 classic. It felt really good. Also looked at the Honda Shadow Aero which DH likes but I found it did not fit as well for me. Still looking but I think it will be the Vstar for me unless something else pops up.
rvgal

whisper15
Elite
Elite

#6 Unread post by whisper15 »

rvgal wrote:Cruiser will be the style. Spent a good part of the day sitting on a 2007 Vstar 650 classic. It felt really good. Also looked at the Honda Shadow Aero which DH likes but I found it did not fit as well for me. Still looking but I think it will be the Vstar for me unless something else pops up.

:hithere: Just had to jump in here and let you know I rode a suzuki savage for 8 years and loved it, but when I saw the 650 V-star I fell in Love with it when I sat on it and could not wait to ride it. I like the Cruiser style and the way it handels. I think if it fits for you it will be great for you. :clapping:
Ride Often and Ride Safe.

mj5898
Rookie
Rookie

1st bike...kinda

#7 Unread post by mj5898 »

Good morning ladies!!!

I too am considering a V Star 650 Custom. I have found a great deal on an '06 with only 75 miles on it. The seller is having it serviced today so that it will be road ready right away.

Anyway, I am wondering if it might be too much bike for me. I started out in 2004 on a 150 cc scooter. The next spring, I upgraded to a new '05 Suzuki Burgman 400 cc scoot. I put around 6K miles on it before selling it last weekend. I also bought an older used 250cc Honda Rebel to learn shifting, etc. but the bike seemed really anemic. So, after taking the MSF last spring, I purchased a 250 Kawasaki Ninja. I have been loving that bike, but for longer rides, would prefer a more relaxed cruiser-type seating position.

My concern with the V Star is that it is more than 100# heavier and 400ccs larger than my Ninja. I am only 5' 1" and really only have toes down in boots on the Ninja, but since it is so light, it is not too much problem. I sat on a brand new 650 last weekend at the dealership and it felt really good, but you never really know until you ride it.

So, just wondering if any of you have thoughts or suggestions on whether a 650 will be too much bike in terms of power or weight for a shorty like me.

TIA!!!

Ride safe!
MJ

'06 Ninja 250 AKA Red Devil

Partnership for an Idiot Free America

Thumper
Legendary 500
Legendary 500
Years Riding: 9
My Motorcycle: '14 BMW F700GS

#8 Unread post by Thumper »

mj, if you could handle the Burgman with no problems, the 650 should be fine. Practice lots of slow-speed drill in a parking lot to get a feel for the weight and the friction zone on that particular clutch, but it should be fine. I've seen lots of tiny women riding huge bikes...it's obviously doable.

And once you're moving at any speed, the weight matters less.

blues2cruise
Years Riding: 16
My Motorcycle: 2000 Yamaha V-Star 1100

#9 Unread post by blues2cruise »

The bike only feels heavy for the first few weeks until you get used to it and find the balance and leverage zone.

I may be tall...but I am certainly not the strongest person around.

TylerR
Veteran
Veteran

#10 Unread post by TylerR »

rvgal wrote:Spent a good part of the day sitting on a 2007 Vstar 650 classic. It felt really good.
Sometimes ya just gotta go with what feels right... and you're the only one who truly knows what that is. :)
Spend time with those who make you better.