I'm a newbie rider

bikernana
Regular
Regular
Sex: Male

I'm a newbie rider

#1 Unread post by bikernana »

Hi Ladies

I'm a new rider that's starting late in life (51 years old). A month ago, my husband bought a vulcan 900 and I bought a blvd S40. I have to admit, I've always wanted to ride, but could never afford one and thought I wouldn't been good at it. I love it! :D I have to ride on Hwy 101 to get to anywhere cause that's the cross street. So I learned quickly. I basically stumbled on this site by error, and thought wow! a bike forum for ladies only. I'm looking forward to many months/years reading great information on this forum.
Stay Safe,

Biker Nana AKA Sandy

2007 Suzuki C40 (Mine)
2007 Ninja 250 (My first but Hubby wanted me to have something w/more ccs.)
2006 Kawasaki Vulcan 900 (Hubby's)

Shorts
Site Supporter - Gold
Site Supporter - Gold

#2 Unread post by Shorts »

Hi Sandy, welcome! :wave:

blues2cruise
Sex: Female
Years Riding: 16
My Motorcycle: 2000 Yamaha V-Star 1100

#3 Unread post by blues2cruise »

:welcome:

You are in good company here. :)

follow
Legendary 300
Legendary 300

#4 Unread post by follow »

Welcome Sandy, enjoy the ride............ :group: great crowd here too!
I follow a new highway I haven't traveled before.

[img]http://i41.tinypic.com/2rpwdjq.jpg[/img] [img]http://i43.tinypic.com/wswow4.jpg[/img]

IBA Member: SS1000, BB1500, BBGold

HD 07 Street Glide-mine
HD 02 Road King-ours
Honda 06 ST1300-ours
Honda 97 ST1100-mine

Wind Rider
Rookie
Rookie

#5 Unread post by Wind Rider »

It has taken me a while to get used to riding on the highway. I have a Honda Rebel 250. After taking the Honda riding school I practiced in the church parking lot. Then I commuted 25 miles one way to work on the side streets. I got a lot of practice riding in rush hour traffic. Now that I finally got a helmet that fits right (I didn't think to look for an xsmall) I don't feel so insecure on the highway.

Katherine

follow
Legendary 300
Legendary 300

#6 Unread post by follow »

I have two. For long distance I use the Nolan dual shield modular helmet...Love it. for short putts I have a carbon fiber beenie both helmets are very light, I almost forget I am wearing them.
I follow a new highway I haven't traveled before.

[img]http://i41.tinypic.com/2rpwdjq.jpg[/img] [img]http://i43.tinypic.com/wswow4.jpg[/img]

IBA Member: SS1000, BB1500, BBGold

HD 07 Street Glide-mine
HD 02 Road King-ours
Honda 06 ST1300-ours
Honda 97 ST1100-mine

sidewinder175
Rookie
Rookie

Hello

#7 Unread post by sidewinder175 »

I can totally relate. I to started later in life 47 and I am loving it. My family all rode, but when you factor in marrage work and kids, I guess things get put on hold. I know I am enjoying the freedom now. I hope you do to.

redsunset33614
Rookie
Rookie

Re: I'm a newbie rider

#8 Unread post by redsunset33614 »

bikernana wrote:Hi Ladies

I'm a new rider that's starting late in life (51 years old). A month ago, my husband bought a vulcan 900 and I bought a blvd S40. I have to admit, I've always wanted to ride, but could never afford one and thought I wouldn't been good at it. I love it! :D I have to ride on Hwy 101 to get to anywhere cause that's the cross street. So I learned quickly. I basically stumbled on this site by error, and thought wow! a bike forum for ladies only. I'm looking forward to many months/years reading great information on this forum.
Hi,

Not sure if I am replying to this correctly or not but here goes. I am a new rider (very new) I took the course passed with flying colors both written and skilled test.........I bought a harley 1200 custom sportster..... the sales man assured me it was the right bike for me so i trusted his word. he stated many of women start out on these bikes. I weigh 120lbs and i am 5'7 the bike fit me well but i ran into some complications.

I drove it home from the dealers, putted along in 3rd gear more or less for about 10 miles home went well mostly straight away only a couple of turn signal. I did notice the clutch was very tigh and having shorter handle bars it was rather hard for me to set in a straight position. On Monday 9/5 a friend of mine who has been riding for the last 25yrs asked me to go with him so i said sure, we got less than 1/10 of a mile from his place (he lives on a back road here in florida he was riding a bit ahead of me and i went to slow down put it in 1st gear pulled the clutch in to turn down the next street, the carb on the bike wasn't working right and the clutch was very tight as i am leaning forward to hold this 663 lb bike i turned onto the street the clutch got away from me almost like spring loaded and snapped out of my hand and the bike took off like a rocket ship thus my loosing control of the front end and hitting the curb and the bike landed on top of me.

I wasn't badly injured thank the lord pretty brused my entire left side but was ok no broken bones. my friend noticed in his mirror i was down on the ground he came back in a panic making sure i was ok and got the bike off me. No damage to the bike just me. after a few moments of collecting our thoughs we decided to take the bike back to his house as it was unsafe to ride. i got right back on that bike and drove it back to his place and parked it. I think I was more in a daze that it even happend, I wasn't afraid to get back on the bike. Long story short I ended up going back to the dealers showed them my many bruses and they are big ones and the manager of the Harley shop said i should of never been let on that bike because it was to top heavy for my body frame.

I got a different bike still a sportster same year but the difference with this one it is lighter in the front because it has curved down handle bars that are closer to me for better control. I have only drove it a couple of times since monday and not very far. The clutch on this new bike was loosend up for me but now it's to loose and when i try to take off from a start i have to let the clutch out to far to get the 1st gear to start pulling me to get my feet up off the ground to get going smoothly without having to throttle until after the momentum gets going. This is causing me to have a slow start and a little wobble as i have nothing that is pulling me unless i want to just throttle it and go.

Tomorrow I have to drive it down a busy main drag to the dealers to have the clutch adjusted once again. I am just a little nervous about traffic living here in tampa there is so much traffic and this slow starting with the clutch issue but it's something i have to face.. I am not afraid to ride as i said i got right back on after i dumped it. I really don't have anyone to ride with to follow to train (SINCE CRASHING THIS MAN FRIEND WILL NOT GO OUT WITH ME AGAIN MAKES HIM TO NERVOUS LOL....)so i have to do this all by myself. I am wondering where is the best places to learn on my own? a parking lot to practice stopping and starting, u-turns etc the bikes we used in class were much smaller than what i have and i could handle them with ease? local side streets for the stopping and starting? I love to ride as i always was the one in the back but at 48 I wanted to do my own thing and ride. I would like a few pointers if anyone could be so kind. Thank you for listening to my story.

blues2cruise
Sex: Female
Years Riding: 16
My Motorcycle: 2000 Yamaha V-Star 1100

#9 Unread post by blues2cruise »

redsunset......first of all......:welcome2: to TMW. :)

You more than likely will get used to your clutch. Give it a few more rides. Once you are used to where the friction zone is, you will be able to get to the acceleration point smoothly, precisely and quickly.

My bike has a very small friction zone and when I first got it I stalled often. Now, I don't even notice....

Once they adjust your clutch again, give yourself a chance to get accustomed to it.

Is there an industrial area nearby? Those kind of areas are usually very quiet evenings and weekends and make good places to go practice.

Empty parking lots are perfect for practice.

redsunset33614
Rookie
Rookie

#10 Unread post by redsunset33614 »

Thank you for your help...........as i said right now the friction zone is way to loose so that will be the first step in fixing that problem, yes there are places i can go to just practice on so i guess i will go to one of them and keep practicing . I thank you for you time and input. Have a great weekend.