LADIES: Working out for riding?

SCgurl
Elite
Elite
Sex: Male

LADIES: Working out for riding?

#1 Unread post by SCgurl »

For yet another off-the-wall question.... :D

Do any of you find that any particular exercises benefit riding? For instance, I've stepped up the yoga for flexibility and upper body strength, as well as doing more pushups.

Just curious to find out what others do to get/stay in shape for riding.
2008 Suzuki S40-for sale
2007 Road King-waiting until mid-May
[url=http://s166.photobucket.com/albums/u94/Jeni1090/?action=view&current=IMG_0051.jpg][img]http://i166.photobucket.com/albums/u94/Jeni1090/th_IMG_0051.jpg[/img][/url]

jonnythan
Legendary 2000
Legendary 2000
My Motorcycle: Year/Make/Model

#2 Unread post by jonnythan »

I stay in shape, but... not for riding.

I can't imagine any exercises I could do that could make me better at, uh.... sitting on my butt and steering.

Seriously? Riding is no more athletic than driving, and I don't hear people talking about what exercises they do to stay in "driving shape."
[url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/jonnythan/sets/]Flickr.[/url]

RegalSwan
Veteran
Veteran

#3 Unread post by RegalSwan »

I wouldn't say any particular exercises are necessary for riding, just work on anything that gets tired while you ride. For long distance riding I like to make sure I'm in good shape before the trip and then just make sure to stay stretched before any long leg.
"I like a man who grins when he fights"
-Winston Churchill

'07 SV650 "Charlotte"
'82 Maxim 650 "Charon"

SCgurl
Elite
Elite

#4 Unread post by SCgurl »

Ahhh, I see...I had envisioned the possiblity of the "saddlesore" scenario, and there are tactics you can use to minimize that. I do realize you're not sitting quite as "astride" as when you're sitting on a horse.

The question just popped into my head the other day when someone was discussing plans for a cross-country trip. For some reason, I seem to feel more comfortable asking the really stupid questions here :oops:
2008 Suzuki S40-for sale
2007 Road King-waiting until mid-May
[url=http://s166.photobucket.com/albums/u94/Jeni1090/?action=view&current=IMG_0051.jpg][img]http://i166.photobucket.com/albums/u94/Jeni1090/th_IMG_0051.jpg[/img][/url]

Thumper
Legendary 500
Legendary 500
Sex: Female
Years Riding: 9
My Motorcycle: '14 BMW F700GS

#5 Unread post by Thumper »

Ya know, it really depends on the kind of riding you do. If you're on a cruiser going in straight lines, you probably don't need to do anything different.

If you're on a sports bike, carving curvy canyon roads...you're going to want to build leg strength for gripping the tank better, strengthen your back, and pay attention to arm strength. Fifty miles of curves will wear you out and make you feel rubbery when you're not in shape for it.

sunshine229
Sex: Female
Years Riding: 14
My Motorcycle: 2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Stone

#6 Unread post by sunshine229 »

Good question!

I believe that being in shape is best for everything you do in life and riding a bike is no different. I don't agree with the previous comment that riding a bike is like driving a car, it definitely takes more muscles to ride a bike!

Here's my list of muscles that I think are most used when riding:
Forearm
Bicep
Tricep
Shoulders
Mid Back
Low Back
Thighs

Yoga is great for flexibility and strength training, and it wouldn't be a bad idea to add some weights to your routine. Try forearm curls, bicep curls, tricep extensions, seated row (for rhomboids & lats), low back extension, and general cardio or leg presses for thighs.

I have a bad low back so I find any stretches and strengthening exercises for my low back help give me stamina on my bike. I've also recently been in a car accident (I was a pedestrian vs. car) which has buggered my right arm/neck/shoulder and back so stretching and strengthening is key. In fact, I wasn't able to ride my bike until 3 months after the accident!

It's possible that most people don't think about these things until they have some sort of muscle damage. I never would have thought about the necessity for good arm muscles until after my last accident. Now it's my primary concern!

Don't feel shy about asking such questions here. :wink: Also, if you put "LADIES: " in front of your subject line you will hopefully only get female responses... :wink:

Andrea :)
Andrea :sun:

dr_bar
Site Supporter - Diamond
Site Supporter - Diamond
Years Riding: 44
My Motorcycle: 2007 Yamaha Royal Star Venture

#7 Unread post by dr_bar »

A strong core is also important for motorcycle riding. Improves your posture as well as overall balance and fitness
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Four wheels move the body.
Two wheels move the soul!"

Shorts
Site Supporter - Gold
Site Supporter - Gold

#8 Unread post by Shorts »

sunshine said it very well. Working out only improves your performance in pretty much anything you do in life, basically a better QOL. (quality of life)

Working out will serve to improve strength (you are doing a strength workout too right?), balance, reflexes. coordination, stamina and in general, your cognitive senses which are vital to riding survival. Anyone that says working out won't help riding is plain ignorant of the benefits.

Without going into a A&P or physiology diatribe, yes, working out helps your riding. You'll feel better in the seat.

Strong core and legs are the center of riding posture.

RabbitStomp
Rookie
Rookie

Working out for riding.....

#9 Unread post by RabbitStomp »

And I am so new, this is my first post.....

I rode dirt bikes for several years and now I am brand-spanky new to street riding, but I find that having great overall core strength is really important for me. I think training all major muscle groups is important. I don't miss any meals and am not a petite gal! Momentum and mass are hard to manage without the beef to back it up.

Umm.... It also helps to be ABLE to pick up your bike when you drop it :D

HYPERR
Legendary 3000
Legendary 3000
My Motorcycle: Year/Make/Model

#10 Unread post by HYPERR »

sunshine229 wrote:Good question!

I believe that being in shape is best for everything you do in life and riding a bike is no different. I don't agree with the previous comment that riding a bike is like driving a car, it definitely takes more muscles to ride a bike!

Here's my list of muscles that I think are most used when riding:
Forearm
Bicep
Tricep
Shoulders
Mid Back
Low Back
Thighs

Yoga is great for flexibility and strength training, and it wouldn't be a bad idea to add some weights to your routine. Try forearm curls, bicep curls, tricep extensions, seated row (for rhomboids & lats), low back extension, and general cardio or leg presses for thighs.

I have a bad low back so I find any stretches and strengthening exercises for my low back help give me stamina on my bike. I've also recently been in a car accident (I was a pedestrian vs. car) which has buggered my right arm/neck/shoulder and back so stretching and strengthening is key. In fact, I wasn't able to ride my bike until 3 months after the accident!

It's possible that most people don't think about these things until they have some sort of muscle damage. I never would have thought about the necessity for good arm muscles until after my last accident. Now it's my primary concern!

Don't feel shy about asking such questions here. :wink: Also, if you put "LADIES: " in front of your subject line you will hopefully only get female responses... :wink:

Andrea :)
I agree with everything that is being said here.

And yes it's a very good question.

And since it's in the Ladies Lounge, it should be assumed that she is asking the opinion of other female riders. :wink:
2008 Ducati Hypermotard 1100
2006 Kawasaki KLX250S
2004 Honda CBR600RR
2002 BMW R1150R
1996 Ducati 900SS