How do you handle tailgaters?

Belly Dancer
Rookie
Rookie
Sex: Male

How do you handle tailgaters?

#1 Unread post by Belly Dancer »

Hello Ladies,

Hubby and I were out last weekend (we both have bikes) and lady was tailgating him in as SUV, so close that he slowed down to say something to her. She was a 16'ish or so young girl who was obviously in a hurry, but with no regard for the 2 bikes in front of her.

After he asked her nicely to back off, she did. Do you have this same problem? If so, how would you handle it? Do they REALLY not know anything about safety or do they just not care?

Shorts
Site Supporter - Gold
Site Supporter - Gold

Re: How do you handle tailgaters?

#2 Unread post by Shorts »

Belly Dancer wrote:Do they REALLY not know anything about safety or do they just not care?

A bit of both. Though most often they really don't have any regard or consideration for what it's like to be in the rider's seat. I swear, all student's in driver's ed should take a motorcycle ed course even if they don't intend to ride or get an M license.

Tailgaters, usually best to move over and let them pass. That way you can continue on in peace after they've stormed off ahead. Sometimes it's hard to communicate to them that you want them to pass and when you slow, they just crawl further up your tail. Probably put your blinker on to signal you're moving over, hopefully they'll get the hint. If they don't pull over at the next station or driveway for a minute, catch some fresh air by lifting your visor for a minute, then get back on the road again.

Welcome to the forum! :wave:

Nalian
Site Supporter - Platinum
Site Supporter - Platinum
Sex: Female
Years Riding: 5
My Motorcycle: 2011/BMW/F800R

#3 Unread post by Nalian »

If I have room to get out of their way I usually do. No sense in messing around with them. However if I don't, then I will slow a bit to give me more room in front, and usually put down my left hand towards the side of the bike and give some "back off" motions with it. Surprisingly that works well a little more than half the time.

Thumper
Legendary 500
Legendary 500
Years Riding: 9
My Motorcycle: '14 BMW F700GS

#4 Unread post by Thumper »

When I get someone tailgating, I tend to slow down a little bit, and wave them past. I move over as far as I safely can to allow that to happen. There have been a few instances of being on a road where that can't happen; narrow lane, no crossing the double, 25 mph streets, and I maintain speed. It's all I can do then. Once I had a lady in an SUV so close that I made a "back off" motion with my left hand...and she did. I don't think she realized that she was freaking me out.

I think people who don't ride just aren't fully aware of the space they need to give a bike. They shouldn't be tailing another car that close, either, but at least if they bump the fender of a car, the other car has a good chance of not being damaged badly. Bump a bike, and it can get nasty really quick.

follow
Legendary 300
Legendary 300

#5 Unread post by follow »

I hate tailgaters too. I think what your husband did was great, now that will stick in the young drivers mind forever, and I have done that before. I try to leave/make plenty of room in front of me and mostly I just let them pass if I can or I give them a signal to back off, it usually works, I have been told I can give a real nasty look too which also works.
I follow a new highway I haven't traveled before.

[img]http://i41.tinypic.com/2rpwdjq.jpg[/img] [img]http://i43.tinypic.com/wswow4.jpg[/img]

IBA Member: SS1000, BB1500, BBGold

HD 07 Street Glide-mine
HD 02 Road King-ours
Honda 06 ST1300-ours
Honda 97 ST1100-mine

HYPERR
Legendary 3000
Legendary 3000
My Motorcycle: Year/Make/Model

Re: How do you handle tailgaters?

#6 Unread post by HYPERR »

Belly Dancer wrote: the 2 bikes in front of her.
I know the question was addressed to the ladies but I would like to throw my :twocents:

First let me say that there's no excuse for someone to tailgate like that. It is rude and dangerous.

That being said, let me ask you a question. Were you guys riding side by side, staggered formation, or behind eachother?

A couple of weeks ago, I was riding back from the trails on my 250cc dirtbike and got behind two guys on Harley riding side by side. They would talk back and forth to each other while riding(no helmet law in CT) and needless to say, they rode slower than the normal traffic flow, and their speed fluctuated quite a bit. I think more than driving slow, nothing pisses off drivers more than someone who cannot maintain constant velocity. It's quite annoying to have to let off the gas, get on the gas, step on the brake pedal, etc, because the guy in front of you varies his speed constantly from lack of attention. It was apparent the drivers behind were getting pretty pissed off.

I can't recall the last time I was tailgated while riding a bike. I ride at a pretty swift pace so it might have never happened, I don't remember. But if someone did tailgate me, I would just give them room or pull over to let them pass. There are a lot of psychos out there and you will never win if you get in a fight with a car. The quicker you get rid of them, the better you are off.
2008 Ducati Hypermotard 1100
2006 Kawasaki KLX250S
2004 Honda CBR600RR
2002 BMW R1150R
1996 Ducati 900SS

Belly Dancer
Rookie
Rookie

Tailgaters

#7 Unread post by Belly Dancer »

We were riding in staggered formation - I was in the front.

Most people say pulling over and letting them pass is the safest option in this case. I would have to agree.

Lion_Lady
Years Riding: 20
My Motorcycle: 2013 BMW R1200R 90th Anniversary

#8 Unread post by Lion_Lady »

I think that folks just don't realize they're crowding us. I give them the benefit of the doubt, first.

I do a "push back" motion with my left hand. About 40-50% of the time that is all it takes. If they persist, then I start by allowing extra room in front of me, figuring that we'll part ways soon enough.

If things get uncomfortable I move over and let them by.

P
Courage in women is often mistaken for insanity - Alice Paul

RocketGirl
Elite
Elite
Years Riding: 4
My Motorcycle: 2007 Yamaha Virago 250

Ladies Lounge - Tailgaters

#9 Unread post by RocketGirl »

I'm still a newbie (just over 400 total miles this past weekend). I still commute to work in my car.

On the route to work one morning (6:30a.m.), I observed a large pickup truck tailgating a scooter. It's a two way road, single lane both directions, with lots of side streets and no-passing zones most of the way. I was thinking that pickup truck was a little too close at a posted speed of 50 mph if I was the rider on the scooter.

It was about that time when the rider picked a spot where there was a wide shoulder, moved over and motioned the truck to pass. I never even noticed that shoulder before.

Now when I commute to and from work I'm more mindful about looking for shoulder areas on roads like that instead of waiting to turn off into a parking lot to let the tailgater pass.

follow
Legendary 300
Legendary 300

#10 Unread post by follow »

So it may have been assumed they were on HARLEYS riding abreast (which is not against the law in alot of states) instead of staggered. hhhmm I have seen many Kawi, Ducati, Beemer, Adventure bike riders ride abreast and have conversations as well..
I follow a new highway I haven't traveled before.

[img]http://i41.tinypic.com/2rpwdjq.jpg[/img] [img]http://i43.tinypic.com/wswow4.jpg[/img]

IBA Member: SS1000, BB1500, BBGold

HD 07 Street Glide-mine
HD 02 Road King-ours
Honda 06 ST1300-ours
Honda 97 ST1100-mine