Newbie rider. What are your ride essentials on longer trips?

chprout
Rookie
Rookie
Sex: Male

Newbie rider. What are your ride essentials on longer trips?

#1 Unread post by chprout »

I am a new rider. My husband has always rode, but I have never really been interested - until this summer. We've rented a big Harley Electra-Glide a couple of times and now I'm completely hooked and can't wait til the next ride. And, now we're planning on getting our own HD Ultra Classic Electra-Glide.

We are planning our first overnight trip - actually it's a three day trip through the mountains of West Virginia. I did get myself a nice Olympia jacket and overpants set, which will keep me dry in rain. I still need to get boots. And we are staying in a Best Western, through the Harley Rewards program which gives riders a discount.

For those of you who are experienced, what have you found are must haves on longer trips? Maybe things that I haven't considered?

blues2cruise
Sex: Female
Years Riding: 16
My Motorcycle: 2000 Yamaha V-Star 1100

#2 Unread post by blues2cruise »

Snacks, extra water(or juices) so that you have stuff with you when you want to pull over for a break, underwear that dries overnight so you don't have to pack much,wet wipes , sunscreen...the nose can get mighty exposed when you're riding all day...

THEEEE most comfortable bra you own.

Camera and extra batteries or a battery charger and rechargable batteries.
Cell phone charger to keep your phone charged....

If you put things into zip lock bags your stuff will stay dry inside the bike bags....and keep everything else safe from accidently opened tubes and jars.

Lion_Lady
Years Riding: 20
My Motorcycle: 2013 BMW R1200R 90th Anniversary

#3 Unread post by Lion_Lady »

Carry a first aid kit. Keep track of where you are - by road junction, last town passed, etc. Cell phones often get no signal in that mountainous geography.

From a Marylander who has frequently ridden in West Virginia, wear your gear, please. Both of you. Even if it isn't raining. It isn't the Harley thing, but having to get life-flighted to the nearest hospital isn't cool either.

Those beautiful twisty roads are regularly travelled by 18 wheelers (there are very few big highways, and groceries get delivered into those mountain towns by truck). They sometimes swing over the centerline in curves.

Don't let me scare you off. It is beautiful country. Stop regularly to walk around and take pictures. You'll both enjoy the ride better - you'll be more relaxed.

P
Courage in women is often mistaken for insanity - Alice Paul

Z
Rookie
Rookie

#4 Unread post by Z »

I just took my longest road trip this past week from S. Florida to N.E. Georgia. I have to say the most important thing that i've found has been to stay hydrated, shield yourself fromt he sun and remember to stop and smell the roses along the way. (It's in the blog secton by the way)

Pack half as much as you need and make sure your clothes are in a waterproof bag. If you don't have a rain cover for your bags, then line the inside of your bags with a garbage bag, pack your clothes in it and close it up top before zipping the bag closed. This worked like a wonder this last trip. It really stinks to get to your destination with an entire bag of wet clothes! lol...

If your boots get wet, the fastes way to dry them is to stuff them with newspaper, it soaks up all the moisture.

Most importantly check your bike especially the tires!
Safe Riding
-Z

2006 VTX 1300R
Patriot Guard Rider - South Florida Road Captain

niterider
Legendary 500
Legendary 500

#5 Unread post by niterider »

I carry tire plugs, air pump, and some oil cause my bike use a little oil. And if planing to go long distance between gas stations, a bit of gas. Extra head light bulb and small jumper cable.
1993 750 Vulcan
one seater
ear shave, pod filters
rear turn signal relocation
lowered rear 2" soft tail
converted to manuel cam chain tensioner
horn relocation

follow
Legendary 300
Legendary 300

#6 Unread post by follow »

HD website has a nice check off list you can print up. As for the extra gas REI has a great one quart fuel container that does not take up much room. And this may sound weird laugh all you want but the underwear thing, I just bring the ones that are ready to be tossed. I call them the disposable ones, use them and lose them then you don't have to carry them home.
I follow a new highway I haven't traveled before.

[img]http://i41.tinypic.com/2rpwdjq.jpg[/img] [img]http://i43.tinypic.com/wswow4.jpg[/img]

IBA Member: SS1000, BB1500, BBGold

HD 07 Street Glide-mine
HD 02 Road King-ours
Honda 06 ST1300-ours
Honda 97 ST1100-mine

Shorts
Site Supporter - Gold
Site Supporter - Gold

#7 Unread post by Shorts »

Use them then loose them??? :laughing: Keyboards and coffee don't mix!

I agree up there about wearing the most comfortable bra you have. I wear my sports bras for rides. While they get annoying after a day's worth of wearing (what bra doesn't?), it stays put. Unlike my regular bras and the straps that like to slide down off my shoulders or move one way or bah! Constantly adjusting is not fun when riding! :frusty: :wink:

+1 on staying hydrated. It really easy to get dehydrated on the road and you'll feel terrible. That can ruin a good day's ride. Stay hydrated, take your pit stops, etc.

Lion_Lady
Years Riding: 20
My Motorcycle: 2013 BMW R1200R 90th Anniversary

#8 Unread post by Lion_Lady »

Read in a travel journal about buying 'tossaways' for travel at your local thrift shop...

ICK.

P
Courage in women is often mistaken for insanity - Alice Paul

follow
Legendary 300
Legendary 300

#9 Unread post by follow »

I knew someone would get a laugh out of that one. I just hate to carry alot of dirty clothes, flying too I know I will be the one pickedout of the crowd that they will want to go thru my luggage and sprawl all my dirty laundry out! I have been in a bike accident once where my T-bag flew across the freeway ripped open and sprawled my stuff everywhere.
I follow a new highway I haven't traveled before.

[img]http://i41.tinypic.com/2rpwdjq.jpg[/img] [img]http://i43.tinypic.com/wswow4.jpg[/img]

IBA Member: SS1000, BB1500, BBGold

HD 07 Street Glide-mine
HD 02 Road King-ours
Honda 06 ST1300-ours
Honda 97 ST1100-mine