stiff shoulder

ladydinah
Rookie
Rookie

stiff shoulder

#1 Unread post by ladydinah »

Can anyone suggest stretches or exercises for a stiff shoulder? I think it's from work- stuck in front of a computer all day. Dove off someone's dock on the weekend, and the first breast stroke backwards was killer. Hurts me on my bike, too. Starts to ache after a few minutes of riding. It doesn't seem to be frozen - the mobility is good and I can lift my arm over my head and backwards. Pain seems to be on the outside of my upper arm, but seems to start in my shoulder.

Thumper
Legendary 500
Legendary 500
Sex: Female
Years Riding: 9
My Motorcycle: '14 BMW F700GS

#2 Unread post by Thumper »

http://www.med.umich.edu/1libr/sma/sma_shouburs_rex.htm

Check out the above link...it might help.

I feel your pain, literally...chances are you're experiencing bursitis. Stretching helps a lot, but if it stays sore and stiff after a week or so, go see a doc before the joint actually freezes on you.

Shorts
Site Supporter - Gold
Site Supporter - Gold

#3 Unread post by Shorts »

Well, shoulder issues can get worse pretty quick. If this isn't a chronic pain that you're having, rest it. It may just be pain from overuse (I get it once in a blue moon). Stay off the weights for a week or two. Don't do any shoulder presses or rear delt work - or basically any overhead or hyper-extension of the shoulder joint with weights. Those will aggravate it. Work on the ROM instead. Light stretches and easy movements, no ballistic stuff that instigates the stretch reflex.

blues2cruise
Sex: Female
Years Riding: 16
My Motorcycle: 2000 Yamaha V-Star 1100

#4 Unread post by blues2cruise »

Stand in a doorway. Open your arms so that an arm is on each side of the doorway. Take a step into the room or hall (whatever way you are facing) and lean into it. With your hands still on the doorframe, you will feel a stretch across your chest, arms and shoulders.

Another......clasp your hands behind you. Take a deep breath in and then lift your hands up behind you as you exhale. Breath in as you lower your arms and exhale as you lift them again.

Cross one arm over your chest and with the other hand pull on the upper arm elbow area to make your crossed over arm stretch. Repeat on other side. These are good for shoulder and upper back.

If you are flexible enough, place one hand behind your back and reach up toward your shoulder, and place the other hand over your shoulder to meet the hand at the back. Clasp your fingers and pull.

Prior to stretching you could try a warm bath or shower or just a heat pack to loosen up the area.