gear

graymojocat
Regular
Regular
Sex: Male

gear

#1 Unread post by graymojocat »

I'm new. I have a full face helmet, a jacket, and gloves.
I live in ga, so I should be able to ride almost (but not quite) year round, but I need to know what else I need. What I have is good for a start, but do I need separate gear for when it gets cooler? Well, that's an obvious yes, but how much? Do I need two separate sets or can I just get two sets of pants and two sets of gloves and then buy something that goes between the helmet and the jacket?

I don't have boots yet, btw. Not ones that were meant for riding, anyway.

Also, does it matter whether I have chaps or riding pants (the kind that will make me a marshmellow)?
Beginning rider, mother of two.

Shorts
Site Supporter - Gold
Site Supporter - Gold

#2 Unread post by Shorts »

You'll want a warmer jacket if yours isn't lined. In the cooler weather the wind chill on the bike gets uncomfortable. Or, at the least, layer your clothing well. For riding pants, that's often overlooked. We picked up some Draggin'. For skid protection, leather is the best. But it is hot. You can opt for chaps or the like if you're riding in cold weather and want some extra protection from the wind. Boots, don't skimp. They should go over the ankle and have good toe/heel protection. Water resistant/proof is a good thing. Insulation is fabulous, especially in cooler weather. In warmer weather, wear the right socks and maybe think about no insulation.

Gloves, you want good gloves. Several pairs for all weather is not unheard of. Insulated are great for winter but you don't want too bulky. For summer, you still want protection but you'll sweat with warmer gloves.

Basically, get the best you can afford of the basics. You can add little by little as you go. Not to mention once you ride a bit you'll start figuring out what gear and clothing works best and you can thin the gear herd appropriately.

FlyGrrl
Rookie
Rookie
Sex: Male

new too !

#3 Unread post by FlyGrrl »

I have some gear too ...before the bike even! But that's all in the works and I'm scheduled for the MSF course in a week and a half!

What I've learnt from snowboarding and flying is that good gear makes a heck of a lot of difference in the enjoyment of learning, and actually improves the ability to learn (to some extent) - but it's worth it!

I am approaching riding with the attitude that if I can afford the bike, but can't afford the gear, then I can't REALLY afford to ride.

So I bought a (M) Shoei X-Eleven helmet (norick 5) and a (S) Joe Rocket Trixie jacket (white with gun metal trim details) and (S) Icon Merc gloves; I'm still deciding on bottoms, but would also love SIDI boots or white puma boots! They're fairly easy to google images if you're interested in seeing them! It cost me a pretty penny, and I even drove down to Minneapolis, checked in Winnipeg, Manitoba, and ended up getting a decent military discount in Edmonton...that made me happy. So shopping around may or may not pay out!

Good luck on the hunt for hot gear! :party: