clutch
Rookie
Rookie
Sex: Female
Years Riding: 5
My Motorcycle: 2004 Harley Street Glide

Re: Overcoming fear after a crash?

#51 Unread post by clutch »

Hi, I'm the original poster on this thread. I just wanted to say that since making that post, I'm riding again and having a blast! I've even upgraded bikes a few times since the crash, currently riding a Harley Davidson Street Glide. I'm considering switching to a Sport Touring style bike (Kawasaki Concours, perhaps?) just to get more experience with different types of bikes.

Thanks to all who had something to say on the topic.

The biggest thing that helped me overcome my fears was the visualization techniques described above. I'd visualize the place/circumstance where I crashed (couldn't keep tight enough on a left curve), and imagine successfully making it through. To this day, I still hesitate slightly when I see a left curve. So I slow down a bit more than everyone else, and really concentrate on looking at where I want to go. "Turn head and LOOK!" It's amazing when you LOOK and focus at the right place, it's like the bike magically knows how to get there.

I'm still practicing and still learning. I'm glad to come back to the forum and post this update -- I'd forgotten all about posting it years ago.

I hope this helps anyone else out there who's had a scare and needs help getting back on the bike again. Riding is fun, and it doesn't have to be scary. Forgive yourself, take your time, and let yourself slowly grow back into it.

pchast
Site Supporter - Silver
Site Supporter - Silver
Sex: Male
Years Riding: 10
My Motorcycle: 1980 Suzuki GS550L, 2019 Zero DSR

#52 Unread post by pchast »

Glad to hear it.
Thanks.
2019 Zero DSR, 1980 Suzuki GS550L

sapaul
Legendary 2000
Legendary 2000
Years Riding: 90
My Motorcycle: 2011 R1200R 07 BMW GS, Kymco 250 little

#53 Unread post by sapaul »

Fantastic to hear, now embrace that little bit of fear, it will keep you safe
I spent my therapy money an a K1200S
The therapy worked, I got a GS now
A touch of insanity crept back in the shape of an R1200R

perry7
Rookie
Rookie
Years Riding: 14
My Motorcycle: honda

#54 Unread post by perry7 »

It was hard to begin again after the last time my face was so close with the street- the only thing between us is my helmet... lost breathing for a while blah blah blah... but i'm on ride again... and i think i would do it over and over again... well women in love lol..
stay tune :)