In need of help re: jacket

Sass
Rookie
Rookie
Sex: Male

In need of help re: jacket

#1 Unread post by Sass »

This is the 3rd forum I'm asking this question on and so far no answers. Hopefully I can get some help here.

It's getting cold out and I take my basic riding course next month and I'm panicking because I'm not sure what kind of jacket, gloves and shoes I need to have in order to take the course and pass with flying colors.

I was looking at textile jackets and leather jackets. I don't know anything about gloves and what kind of shoes can I wear for it?

Help!

Lisa
Veteran
Veteran

#2 Unread post by Lisa »

I don't live in NJ so you results may vary
at my course any jean, leather or balistic (textile) nylon jacket was fine
for boots i wore desert boots, but any over the ankle leather boot will suffice. make sure it's comfy and good traction.
for gloves I bought motorcycle gloves with padded knuckles but i was told any leather glove (even a gardening glove) would do.

good luck.

CYNWAGON
Elite
Elite

#3 Unread post by CYNWAGON »

November there probably isn't as cold as it is here... but you should try and find some lined leather gloves for winter riding. You can also get textile and leather jackets that have zip in/out liners for the colder days. Also go for a full face helmet to keep the cold out.
'08 Suzuki M50 Yellow & Grey (she's my bumblebee)

clutch
Rookie
Rookie
Sex: Female
Years Riding: 5
My Motorcycle: 2004 Harley Street Glide

#4 Unread post by clutch »

For the MSF class I just took, they required that you wear a boot that covers your ankle bones, and it could not have a heel taller than 1 inch.

They also required long pants made of a sturdy material (denim, textile -- no sweat pants), a long-sleeved shirt, gloves, and at least a 3/4 helmet.

I agree with Cynwagon -- you should get a full face helmet. There are some tips about selecting a helmet HERE.

Lisa's suggestion with the padded knuckled gloves is good too. Your hands take a beating if you fall.

The people teaching your class should mail the exact requirements out to you. I didn't get mine until 1 week before the class.

Good luck!

Sass
Rookie
Rookie

#5 Unread post by Sass »

Thanks guys! This helps me out a lot. I'm going to go with an Icon mesh jacket and I'm going to go with a full face helmet although they provide them at the course so I won't have to take mine if I get one.

Padded gloves shouldn't be a problem for me to find.

Thanks again!

Brackstone
Legendary 1500
Legendary 1500
Years Riding: 3
My Motorcycle: 2010/Ducati/Monster 1100

#6 Unread post by Brackstone »

I live in Northern NJ, I took the course I think it was at Randolph Community College.

The requirements are long sleeve jacket, boots and gloves. However if you have a leather jacket wear that, and the same should go for gloves. Leather blocks wind pretty well and that's your only enemy really when it's cold.

Having said that as someone who rides through the winter I doubt you will be going fast enough during the course to really freeze yourself.
Ducati Monster 1100 (Vrooom!!)
Aprilia Shiver 750 (sold)
2007 Kawasaki Ninja 250cc (sold)

Lion_Lady
Years Riding: 20
My Motorcycle: 2013 BMW R1200R 90th Anniversary

Re: In need of help re: jacket

#7 Unread post by Lion_Lady »

Sass wrote:This is the 3rd forum I'm asking this question on and so far no answers. Hopefully I can get some help here.

It's getting cold out and I take my basic riding course next month and I'm panicking because I'm not sure what kind of jacket, gloves and shoes I need to have in order to take the course and pass with flying colors...
Hopefully you received something that states what you must have for the class. Read that, you may not need to buy motorcycle gear...

Here, in MD, you don't need to have motorcycle gear. You can take the class in jeans (not oversized/baggy), any long sleeve jacket or shirt, and over the ankle footwear (the key is that the pointy bones on both sides of your ankle are covered). Sites are supposed to have "loaner" gloves, eye protection and helmets - so you don't even need to have those.

I usually discourage people from spending a lot of money BEFORE they've taken the class. Some folks discover that motorcycling really isn't what they expected. At any rate, your best bet is going to be to contact the training site and ask THEM what is expected.

P
Courage in women is often mistaken for insanity - Alice Paul

Sass
Rookie
Rookie

#8 Unread post by Sass »

Lion_Lady wrote:
Sass wrote:This is the 3rd forum I'm asking this question on and so far no answers. Hopefully I can get some help here.

It's getting cold out and I take my basic riding course next month and I'm panicking because I'm not sure what kind of jacket, gloves and shoes I need to have in order to take the course and pass with flying colors...
Hopefully you received something that states what you must have for the class. Read that, you may not need to buy motorcycle gear...

Here, in MD, you don't need to have motorcycle gear. You can take the class in jeans (not oversized/baggy), any long sleeve jacket or shirt, and over the ankle footwear (the key is that the pointy bones on both sides of your ankle are covered). Sites are supposed to have "loaner" gloves, eye protection and helmets - so you don't even need to have those.

I usually discourage people from spending a lot of money BEFORE they've taken the class. Some folks discover that motorcycling really isn't what they expected. At any rate, your best bet is going to be to contact the training site and ask THEM what is expected.

P
I havent received my formal course and training info in the mail yet, but in my documention from the NJ DMV site it says I'll need:

-federal DOT approved helmet (helmets will be provided for BRC courses)
-eye protection
-long sleeved shirt and long pants (torn or ripped clothing not permitted)
-full fingered gloves w/o holes (leather is preferred)
-shoes that cover the ankel without heels
-rain gear (if necessary)

Not sure why I need eye protection if they provide the helmet. I'll need more than a long-sleeved shirt because it's going to be cold. I have a loner pair of gloves from my friend and I'll have to buy a pair of boots (I hope Timberland is good enough).

And I'm not sure what rain gear is if they want clothing not loose.

Sass
Rookie
Rookie

#9 Unread post by Sass »

Brackstone wrote:I live in Northern NJ, I took the course I think it was at Randolph Community College.

The requirements are long sleeve jacket, boots and gloves. However if you have a leather jacket wear that, and the same should go for gloves. Leather blocks wind pretty well and that's your only enemy really when it's cold.

Having said that as someone who rides through the winter I doubt you will be going fast enough during the course to really freeze yourself.
Hi!

I'm taking mine in Sea Girt. It's the free course by the State. I asked my friends these questions and they can't remember because they took their courses a very long time ago.

Anyway, this helps. Thanks!

Lion_Lady
Years Riding: 20
My Motorcycle: 2013 BMW R1200R 90th Anniversary

#10 Unread post by Lion_Lady »

Sass wrote:
I havent received my formal course and training info in the mail yet, but in my documention from the NJ DMV site it says I'll need:

-federal DOT approved helmet (helmets will be provided for BRC courses)
-eye protection
I recommend that you bring a bandana or other head covering to wear under the helmet - kind of like wearing "footies" when trying on shoes, adds a layer of 'protection.'
Sass wrote:... Not sure why I need eye protection if they provide the helmet.
If its sunny, it can get hot inside the face shield. Or maybe their loaner helmets don't have shields. Many sites use 3/4 helmets which have removable shields. The sheilds get lost/damaged. Having sunglasses, or your prescription glasses, means you can leave the face shield up and be "legal."
Sass wrote: -long sleeved shirt and long pants.[...I'll need more than a long-sleeved shirt because it's going to be cold.] (torn or ripped clothing not permitted)
Bring layers. A sweatshirt and maybe a light jacket to put on over a long sleeved shirt is perfect. That way in the morning you'll be warm and as the sun gets higher and the temp warms up you can shed layers and still be "covered."
Sass wrote: -full fingered gloves w/o holes (leather is preferred)
Look in your closet. Do you already own a pair of leather (winter) gloves? You could even get a pair of mountain biking gloves. Or get a pair of gardening or work gloves that fit you.
Sass wrote: -shoes that cover the ankel without heels

Beware of chunky lug soles.
Sass wrote: -rain gear (if necessary) [...And I'm not sure what rain gear is if they want clothing not loose.]
If rain is forecast, you'll still probably be riding, so you'll need something to keep you dry. (The usual standard is so long as visibility is okay and there is no standing water or lightning, you'll ride.)

The deal with "no loose clothing" is that baggy or cuff-ragged pants are very likely to get caught in the wheel or chain of the motorcycle. That is dangerous.
Sass wrote: I have a loner pair of gloves from my friend and I'll have to buy a pair of boots (I hope Timberland is good enough).
Don't go buy Timberlands just for the class. The chunky lug sole and tall boxy toe can make it tough to slide/move your foot on the pegs and to feel the shifter. Check your closet. Do you have a pair of any sort of sturdy shoe that covers your ankle bones and doesn't have a heel?

P
Courage in women is often mistaken for insanity - Alice Paul