AMA Women and Motorcycling Conference

coffee_brake
Legendary 300
Legendary 300
Sex: Male

AMA Women and Motorcycling Conference

#1 Unread post by coffee_brake »

Hello ladies, I'm starting a new topic to hopefully tie up what we know so far.
There isn't much information yet, we know Harley/Buell are going to be the big hitters this time again but remember it's all makes/models type of conference and you'll meet riders the likes of which you've never seen.

I camped this area for a rally last summer and the accomodations for tenting campers were kind of...meh. BUT I'm willing to do it again because the conference is THAT COOL and worth attending.
The nearest camping for many miles is the state campground at Heaton Bay and it has no showers, you have to ride 1.5 miles to the recreation center in town and pay them $6 to use the shower. No big deal really, just extra time. Nice showers, though.

The hotels in this ski area are expensive. Cheapest I found was still $100/night. Camping is $20/night and a shower is another $6.
LionLady said she's getting a room, and there was talk of sharing rooms. Considering the price of camping plus a shower every day, going in on 1/2 or 1/3 or even 1/4 of a room is definately an option. Plus it can be a lot of fun and you get to know some more riders.

My vacation dollars are small but I've been saving for a long, long time for this conference and I'm planning on going.
Is anyone interested in sharing a room/campsite (2 can share a campsite)?

And, is anyone from the Southeast interested in riding out together (sharing a room or campsite and covering maybe 450-500 miles/day)? If you want to roll into Augusta the day before we all leave, I will have room for three in the house and many in the back yard, of course I'll provide dinner and breakfast.

So...anybody else?
Jenn S.
AMA #658162
2005 Concours
2001 Vmax
1992 CB750

blues2cruise
Sex: Female
Years Riding: 16
My Motorcycle: 2000 Yamaha V-Star 1100

#2 Unread post by blues2cruise »

I've been checking the website but there doesn't seem to be any info yet......I clicked to get on the email list, but have received no news so far.

coffee_brake
Legendary 300
Legendary 300

#3 Unread post by coffee_brake »

Blues you are right, there is hardly any information.

For the last conference, I had a really wonderful and educational time. But what has changed that this time, there is hardly any information at all? I hope they jump on it soon, people are making vacation plans now!
Jenn S.
AMA #658162
2005 Concours
2001 Vmax
1992 CB750

Lion_Lady
Years Riding: 20
My Motorcycle: 2013 BMW R1200R 90th Anniversary

#4 Unread post by Lion_Lady »

As I recall, there was little detailed information on the website (or anywhere) until Spring before the event. And then, it wasn't complete. Details were filled in as the date got closer.

I guess vendors, etc held off until they were "sure" the event was gonna be a win for them.

P
Courage in women is often mistaken for insanity - Alice Paul

MZ33
Site Supporter - Silver
Site Supporter - Silver
Years Riding: 3
My Motorcycle: fabulous 2008 Kawi Versys

#5 Unread post by MZ33 »

I am interested in sharing a room more than a campsite, but I could be convinced either way. I'm up in Columbus, Ohio, and I, too, could host travelers passing through.

Ahh, my husband and I go back and forth on me riding out there.
  • 1) I've never done a day-long ride yet, let alone a series of them to Colorado and back. Of course, I plan to rectify that come riding season.
    2) I experience a lot of hand vibration on the V-Star, although I might be able to address that with a thingamajig I saw on a website.
    3) The time investment is considerable and we have sooo much on our plate right now. (Which is why I have been absent from this site for so long--I'd rather ride or talk about riding than re-do the bathroom or remove adhesive from a hardwood floor, or paint, or . . . you get the idea. So I had to swear off all things motorcycle for a while.)
    4) He's very nervous about me going, even if I find a group to ride with. He believes he has put his foot down on my traveling solo--which I let him believe because I'm not sure I want to go solo for such a long ride, yet I am also worried whether I would hold up a group of more experienced riders if I were to tag along. I wouldn't think twice about driving there, but there's a lot more to it when riding.
And yeah, it's a little frustrating to have to wait for AMA to be forthcoming with more information. I want to test ride a whole bunch of bikes there, and I imagine I'll have to sign up in advance for that, won't I?

But I really, really want to go. And I want to go by bike. Thank goodness they aren't holding this in June; I have a lot of wrinkles to iron out in order to make this work!
[img]http://i39.tinypic.com/16jla1l.jpg[/img]

Lion_Lady
Years Riding: 20
My Motorcycle: 2013 BMW R1200R 90th Anniversary

#6 Unread post by Lion_Lady »

Yay!! MZ33!!

You've got time to "feel out" hubby as to his REAL worries about you riding solo. Could he simply be a bit jealous/worried that you don't need him? :wink:

My hubby has NO interest in going. I'll be hanging with my bikergal buds and he'll be a fifth wheel. Guess he's right.

As of now, I'm riding with an as yet to be determined assortment of friends - maybe only 2-3 others, maybe more than a dozen. Time will tell, along with vacation allotments, etc.

The current (still very fuzzy) plan is about 400-500 miles a day, each way. Four days of riding, from Baltimore, MD. We're not making any en-route hotel reservations. Will pick as we ride, based on how we feel.

Columbus is on our way...

When I took my daughter to the last rally, we were on our own, but kept in touch with another gal who was travelling from MD, as we went, via text message.

P
Courage in women is often mistaken for insanity - Alice Paul

MZ33
Site Supporter - Silver
Site Supporter - Silver

#7 Unread post by MZ33 »

Thanks, LionLady!

Hubby isn't the jealous type--of anything. It's more worry about safety than anything. To be honest, if he were to attempt the same thing, I'd worry, too. (Especially since he's even more newb than I am :wink: )

Y'know, depending on your crowd and accomodation preferences, I can host some or all of you, or help you find a place to stay. And of course, you and your crew are invited to dinner (or whatever food time-of-day it is) at our humble abode. Heck, the neighborhood bikers would be thrilled to have the Ladies rumble in. One of our neighbors, Brian, actually does bike design/engineering. Rides Ducati. Eddie has a Sportster, 2 dirt bikes, and a Royal Enfield that is patiently waiting restoration efforts. And then there's Drew and Katie, with the Newfoundlands "Harley", "Norton", and a new pup with a bike name that I cannot recall. (Pretty sure it isn't "Moto Guzzi", though. :D ) They have a biiig Harley Tourer.

Even if I end up not able to go, the hosting offer stands. In a worse-case-scenario, and I don't have a riding group go with me, if you would be willing to be my contact so that there is someone within a half-day's ride or some such, that would be most reassuring. If I can keep up with you, I'll be thrilled. And I plan to join MoTow or whoever it is through AMA, just in case.

Boy, if I listen to me, it sure sounds like I'm going, doesn't it!! :laughing:

And, if you're coming my way, coffee, the offer applies to you, too!

SCgurl
Elite
Elite

#8 Unread post by SCgurl »

Man, I wanna go-but I'm in the same boat as MZ. I'm still a newb. And the vibrations above 60MPH are a killer on the S40.

Heck, I haven't even taken the road test yet for my full license. That is coming up shortly though.

And BF is doing the same freak out thing about me riding that far solo. Although I definitely think there's a touch of jealousy going on.

This is not a hard sell, but I need to find a way to dampen the thumper vibrations to make it more tolerable....
2008 Suzuki S40-for sale
2007 Road King-waiting until mid-May
[url=http://s166.photobucket.com/albums/u94/Jeni1090/?action=view&current=IMG_0051.jpg][img]http://i166.photobucket.com/albums/u94/Jeni1090/th_IMG_0051.jpg[/img][/url]

MZ33
Site Supporter - Silver
Site Supporter - Silver

#9 Unread post by MZ33 »

Well, SC, if I find a thingy to dampen handlebar vibrations, I will let you know. I know I came across one once, but I guess I didn't bookmark it. It had rubberized mounts, or something.

I'll probably look into the local Women On Wheels chapter, to see if anyone is going.

I mentioned my plans to guys at the mc shop that does most of my work, and got a very definite "no" as a response. I thought they meant that my bike won't go the distance, but they were concerned about riding through Kansas. They said it is 8 hours of droning flatness and steady winds that can get up to 50mph for a couple of hours at a stretch. They recommended that I trailer my bike to the border, find someone who will keep my truck & trailer, and then ride to Colorado from the Kansas border. It's a thought.

blues2cruise
Years Riding: 16
My Motorcycle: 2000 Yamaha V-Star 1100

#10 Unread post by blues2cruise »

MZ33.....I rode my 650 V-Star for 12 days on a road trip all the way from Vancouver BC to San Francisco Ca via the Oregon Coast and then back up inland via Crater Lake near Bend and then back through the Columbia Gorge, Olympia Wa and then home again. The bike was also loaded with all my gear.

I recommend a throttle rocker for the long highway stretches. You could also try a pair of gel palmed gloves to see if they would help reduce the vibrations you feel.

I have never had a problem with the vibrating unless it gets to a speed I have no business getting to. :mrgreen: