Cosmetics and Motorbikes - Doomed to Failure?

pinksta
Tricycle Squid
Tricycle Squid

Cosmetics and Motorbikes - Doomed to Failure?

#1 Unread post by pinksta »

Hey there!
I have been riding for about 6 months, but I am really struggling to integrate the bike into my daily routine because the full faced helmet rubs all the makeup from my cheekbones. I have tried switching foundation brands, adding different amounts of powder and even spraying my face with hairspray (won't be doing that again). I would give up on the full face entirely and invest in a half helmet but I fall off with alarming regularity and do not want to say goodbye to my face. I know this sounds crazy, but I really need the make-up and I feel massively gross without it (bad skin since early adolescence), so if anyone has any usefel tips/cheats/special laydy know-how I would be super grateful!

Fiddler
Rookie
Rookie
Sex: Male

#2 Unread post by Fiddler »

Would you consider (re)applying once you arrived at your destination? I really like Maybelline Pure Stay Powder Foundation because it is so easy. It's the first foundation I've been able to tolerate because it isn't messy at all, and it takes just a few seconds to put on, then it dries to a powder finish. It doesn't crumble or flake, it goes on with a little sponge in the compact. And hey, it's Maybelline so it's pretty inexpensive. You could just carry it with you and apply it after you take off your helmet. You'd want some blush with you too, of course.

shalihe74
Legendary
Legendary

#3 Unread post by shalihe74 »

I typically don't wear makeup, but when I do I use Neutrogena. It seems to stay in place when I put the lid on, but I'm also not in the habit of checking it that often.

One thing to consider: you're going to want to wash & disinfect the inserts in your lid OFTEN if you wear makeup. Otherwise, every time you put on the lid you're going to be smearing an imperceptible layer of old makeup (and any bacteria it may have been growing) all over your face.

Yummy!
[b][i]"Good girls go to heaven. Bad ones go to hell. And girls on fast bikes go anywhere they want." [/i]

2009 Triumph Sprint ST - daily commuter
2006 Triumph Daytona 675 - track bike
1999 Suzuki SV650 - track training bike[/b]

blues2cruise
Sex: Female
Years Riding: 16
My Motorcycle: 2000 Yamaha V-Star 1100

#4 Unread post by blues2cruise »

Pack a small cosmetic bag with your basics (or leave one at work)....

It only takes a minute or 2 to apply some foundation and blush once you get to where you are going.

Have you tried any of the long lasting makeups that are supposed to stay on until you wash it off?

blues2cruise

#5 Unread post by blues2cruise »

Fiddler wrote:Would you consider (re)applying once you arrived at your destination? I really like Maybelline Pure Stay Powder Foundation because it is so easy. It's the first foundation I've been able to tolerate because it isn't messy at all, and it takes just a few seconds to put on, then it dries to a powder finish. It doesn't crumble or flake, it goes on with a little sponge in the compact. And hey, it's Maybelline so it's pretty inexpensive. You could just carry it with you and apply it after you take off your helmet. You'd want some blush with you too, of course.
:hithere:

Welcome to TMW. :)

follow
Legendary 300
Legendary 300

#6 Unread post by follow »

blues2cruise wrote:Pack a small cosmetic bag with your basics (or leave one at work)....
It only takes a minute or 2 to apply some foundation and blush once you get to where you are going
+ 1, I carry bare minerals, my makeup bag is as small as a small wallet, It fits in my coat pocket along with my most important essential...my cell phone.

And welcome to the forum, great bunch here.
I follow a new highway I haven't traveled before.

[img]http://i41.tinypic.com/2rpwdjq.jpg[/img] [img]http://i43.tinypic.com/wswow4.jpg[/img]

IBA Member: SS1000, BB1500, BBGold

HD 07 Street Glide-mine
HD 02 Road King-ours
Honda 06 ST1300-ours
Honda 97 ST1100-mine

MZ33
Site Supporter - Silver
Site Supporter - Silver
Years Riding: 3
My Motorcycle: fabulous 2008 Kawi Versys

#7 Unread post by MZ33 »

I just make people put up with the face God gave me. :D
[img]http://i39.tinypic.com/16jla1l.jpg[/img]

blues2cruise

#8 Unread post by blues2cruise »

MZ33 wrote:I just make people put up with the face God gave me. :D
So do I most of the time. :laughing: I do wear makeup when I go out someplace special......I don't look so tired and pale then.

I get comments like,"Are you sick today?" etc., when I don't use makeup...although I think they are finally getting used to my naked face now and I don't hear it much now.

MZ33
Site Supporter - Silver
Site Supporter - Silver
Years Riding: 3
My Motorcycle: fabulous 2008 Kawi Versys

#9 Unread post by MZ33 »

I get comments like,"Are you sick today?" etc., when I don't use makeup...although I think they are finally getting used to my naked face now and I don't hear it much now.
:laughing: :laughing:

I guess we train people to expect how we look. I did the same thing to my college roommate the first time I saw her at bedtime--and I had known her for a few years. It took me a couple of days to realize what the difference was. :oops: That and the fact that another friend wouldn't even go to the bathroom without "putting her face on"--and this was an all-girls' dorm. Thing is, neither one would look scary if they didn't wear any make-up!! Those two affirmed my resolve to stay with a naked face.

I'm glad the trend is toward more natural looks, and the less-is-more approach. I do touch up my face when the occasion requires it--usually involving a dress, and of course moisturizer and sunblock are my best allies.
[img]http://i39.tinypic.com/16jla1l.jpg[/img]

Fiddler
Rookie
Rookie

#10 Unread post by Fiddler »

Hey blues2cruise, thanks for the nice welcome... Sorry I didn't respond sooner, but I didn't want to be hijack the thread. I am reluctant to do an official "Hi I'm Here" intro because my first bike (after 900 miles on my 150 scooter) is a Triumph Thruxton that I absolutely love. I didn't want anyone to rail on me about it or imagine all of the unseen eyes rolling toward the sky about another silly newb who didn't get a rather more appropriate beginner bike. So... "HI EVERYONE!" (end threadjacking)

Admittedly I've never really worn much makeup until recently. And I'm allergic to all eye shadow and mascara - they make most of my lashes fall out. A couple of months ago one of my coworkers commented on how "rested" I looked. Her more savvy manager noted, "She's not rested, she's just wearing makeup today." Busted! I've worn the base and blush ever since. For as long as I have to be at work at 4am, I'll do whatever it takes to make me at least appear well rested.

I have noticed a faint pink haze on the cheek pieces in the front of my Arai. Guess that's where the extra powder blush goes?