What are your concerns when out on your Motorcycle.

Buelligan
Elite
Elite
Sex: Male

What are your concerns when out on your Motorcycle.

#1 Unread post by Buelligan »

Just kind of curious, but I live in fear of tipping my MC over in a crowded parking lot and looking like a complete idiot! I have no idea why this is such a concern, but it is. Most of my riding friends just laugh and say, "hey it's going to happen so don't worry about it!" :shock:
Far as bikes go, I have a Buell XB9S, my feet reach the ground, and it's not a particularly heavy bike, and to date I have kept it rubber side down without any problem. :D
I'm a very defensive driver and always try to ensure that I stay in one piece, but that issue doesn't have nearly the impact of the parking lot thing. (and obviously the only thing likely to be damaged is my ego).
Anyone else out there feel the same, or is it just me! :oops:

Cheers
Jan

High_Side
Site Supporter - Platinum
Years Riding: 48
My Motorcycle: Desert-X, CB1100F, CRF300 Rally, Nightha

#2 Unread post by High_Side »

Seriously nice bike(the XB9). As for concerns: my kids. Nothing else is more of an overriding factor to my former squidliness. It keeps me focused on the big picture.

Digginit
Regular
Regular

#3 Unread post by Digginit »

High_Side wrote:Seriously nice bike(the XB9). As for concerns: my kids. Nothing else is more of an overriding factor to my former squidliness. It keeps me focused on the big picture.
That's EXACTLY what I thought when I read the question. Well....my kid (singular).

As far as riding....I worry about deer and dogs around here 'cause there are a helluva lot of both of them. What's around the curve.... What's that car gonna do?.... I don't worry about embarassing myself, because I've done that so many times that it's easy to brush off.

Peace~
linz
Some days it's just not worth gnawing through the straps

Gadjet
Site Supporter - Gold
Site Supporter - Gold
Years Riding: 19
My Motorcycle: 2020 KTM 200 Duke

#4 Unread post by Gadjet »

what nastiness (four legged or otherwise) is lurking just over the crest of that hill or around that blind corner.

Other than that, I pretty much toss my cares to the wind when I hop on the bike.
1983 Suzuki GS650GL (sold)
2005 Kawasaki KLR 650 (sold)
2020 KTM 200 Duke
IBA#20953
IG: @greenmanwc

Sev
Site Supporter - Gold
Site Supporter - Gold

#5 Unread post by Sev »

That jerk in the minivan who won't stop pacing me. Sticks right beside me if I speed up, slow down... doesn't matter. Keeps trying to put me into his bloody blind spot. Scares me like nothing other. *clutch in, REV HIGH, drop from 6th to 5th, dump the clutch* TAA TAA

Actually the thought of doubling up with someone scares the crap out of me. I hurt one of my best friends when I wrecked and putting anyone on the back just makes me think about how I could hurt someone else. What happens to me is my own concern, but I don't want to have someone elses life in my hand.
Of course I'm generalizing from a single example here, but everyone does that. At least I do.

[url=http://sirac-sev.blogspot.com/][img]http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a227/Sevulturus/sig.jpg[/img][/url]

blues2cruise
Sex: Female
Years Riding: 16
My Motorcycle: 2000 Yamaha V-Star 1100

#6 Unread post by blues2cruise »

My biggest concern is that when I stop for a red light the person behind me won't stop in time.
So, I try to make sure I leave plenty of room in front of me when I stop, I pulse the brake light hoping it will catch the attention of the car coming up behind me and I look in the mirror to see if the vehicle behind me is indeed slowing down.
I met a fellow in my local Starbucks who got injured because of getting smacked from behind and although he is recovering, it has been very slow.

Buelligan
Elite
Elite

#7 Unread post by Buelligan »

Being rear-ended is something I always think about too, try to always make sure I have an out, preferably to the right onto a paved shoulder. Always leave myself enough room to be able to pull straight over if I see the car behind looking like it might be coming too fast.
I think riding a bike, makes you a better car driver too, you get in the habit of really looking all around you, all the time.
I think it's a pity we can't lane split here in Canada, studies have consistently shown for a bike it's much safer than just sitting behind stopped vehicles.

Cheers,
Jan
Black - 2004 Buell XB9S Lightening

Ladymx

#8 Unread post by Ladymx »

Four legged critters crossing my path unexpectedly, is a concern, as well as the being rear ended or backed into.

mswarrior
Legendary 300
Legendary 300

#9 Unread post by mswarrior »

Enjoying the ride. If ya can't enjoy it why bother.
Many say live to ride, I say ride is to live.

rnr262
Elite
Elite

#10 Unread post by rnr262 »

It was dropping my bike, but I got that over with. In a parking lot. At a stop sign when I was completely stopped. Have NO idea what I did! Found myself holding the bike up and realized I wasn't going to be able to get it upright so I gently laid it down, then picked it back up.

Now that that fear is out of the way it's gravel. Hopefully I won't have to hit a bad patch to get over this one.
01 Vulcan 750
05 Rebel