Younger Next Year. . .

Lion_Lady
Sex: Female
Years Riding: 20
My Motorcycle: 2013 BMW R1200R 90th Anniversary

Younger Next Year. . .

#1 Unread post by Lion_Lady »

Live Strong, Fit and Sexy - Until You're 80 and Beyond by Chris Crowley & Henry S. Lodge, MD.

I'm tired of feeling old. And more than a bit worried about how I'll fare riding 400+ miles a day for 4 days in my current physical shape. Sad, sad, sad. A fellow rider recommended the book. I bought the audiobook and the hard copy (so I can go back and reference pages easily in the future). Been listening to it on my way to and from work.

Its really amazing!! Written in regular language with humor and anecdotes. The medical facts are presented in English, not "med-speak." The basic premise is that our bodies were designed for activity. . Our modern lifestyle (air conditioned and heated homes, enough to eat every day, no need to forage) is just over 100 years old. An eyeblink in evolution.

Our systems were designed to switch into reduced metabolism (famine mode) as a result of inactivity.

I've begun working toward being younger next year already, by walking every day for at least 30 minutes. Once I get my cardio self up to "mediocre" I plan to add weight training as well. I feel really good so far, after my third day. And the bonus is, my husband is joining me.

http://www.amazon.com/Younger-Next-Wome ... 0761140735

Its a good read. Gets you thinking. Anybody else who's creeping up in years, trying to figure out how to stave off the scary crone's hump and riding into their 70's?

A scary fact: Once we (women) turn 30, we start losing bone mass at a rate of 1%/ year. The rate doubles as we hit menopause. By the time the average American woman reaches age 60, she's lost 30% of the bone she's ever had. And she's still got a THIRD of life to live. Weight-bearing exercise is the best way to stop that from happening, but right now we can help stave off the hump by taking an over the counter calcium supplement daily.

... Hip fractures kill more women than breast cancer (50% of women who suffer a hip fracture, die within a year).

So, anybody else considering an exercise program this season?

P
Courage in women is often mistaken for insanity - Alice Paul

Fiddler
Rookie
Rookie
Sex: Male

#2 Unread post by Fiddler »

I quite my "real job", a desk job, and at the age of 45 I took a much more physical job that I love. At work I probably walk about ten miles a day, and lift about 1400 pounds worth of materials per day in 30+ pound increments. That can only help, and I feel so much stronger.

coffee_brake
Legendary 300
Legendary 300

#3 Unread post by coffee_brake »

Your thread has stuck a very strong chord with me. I'm 34 and only beginning to feel age coming on, but I have lived a hard-work life and my joints feel more like 50's than 30's.

I work out and weight train so that I can spend a few more years on a motorcycle. It is the best motivation (other than my wonderful spouse of enjoying my appearance) that I can think of.

After being raised to work very hard on a farm and in an industrial shop, and then 4 years of active duty Army with lots and lots of running and excercise, I got a sedentary desk job and ballooned up to WAY overweight. I got fired and the same week went back to the gym, and haven't looked back. That was almost 2 years ago and I find it effortless to get up and go to my workouts, because every time I move or push the bike, reach for a tool, pick up a box, play "tag" with the neighbor's kids, or even just get out of bed, I can feel how much easier it is now, than it was when I lost my job 20+ pounds ago. I can't believe how much better I feel, or that I've kept the weight off. I work in a small motorcycle shop now and I'm in better physical condition than anybody else in the place. None of them can keep up with me!

Never was my belief in staying fit to ride stronger than on my ride last year across the country and back. I really needed the strong back and core muscles I'd developed to keep bodily fatigue at bay in the saddle. And the cardio payed off as well as I hiked at high altitudes and pitched camp all over the country without ever running out of breath. Strong shoulders and legs are great if you have to push a bike around, too! (It was only an electrical disconnect, I didn't have to push it far---but I could have!)

I won't say there weren't a few scary moments camping alone. But feeling capable of putting up a decent fight goes a long way towards making peace with your situation and getting a good night's sleep.

I've still got 10 pounds to go to reach my old Army weight, but I feel better than ever in my whole life. Of course we shouldn't base our self-image on appearances, but I feel so much more confident knowing I'm fit.

Now if only that wisdom I keep hearing about that is supposed to come with age, would kick in....
Jenn S.
AMA #658162
2005 Concours
2001 Vmax
1992 CB750

MZ33
Site Supporter - Silver
Site Supporter - Silver
Years Riding: 3
My Motorcycle: fabulous 2008 Kawi Versys

#4 Unread post by MZ33 »

I'm in! I've ordered the book from the library--it has about 10 copies and I'm still number 31 on the waiting list.

I, too, have been "feeling my age," and started my cardiovascular program, but have yet to move on to the essential weight training. On reflection, I'm not sure whether I have been feeling my age or just feeling my fatness. :? So, the television has been banned, the computer time is shortened, and my organizational self is reappearing.

And actually, the AMA Women's Conference is a great motivator for me. I have to be more fit, and get more done so that I can get more ride time, so that I can go to Colorado.
[img]http://i39.tinypic.com/16jla1l.jpg[/img]

Lion_Lady

#5 Unread post by Lion_Lady »

W00T!!! :pbjt: Awesome!!! Glad I'm not "alone" in doing this!! :budhug:

In July 2004, I wrecked my motorcycle (full gear, no road rash) and ended up with a cast on my left arm for almost 4 months. During that time, my weight zoomed (I rationalized not getting on the scale because the cast would throw off the number).

When the cast did come off, I weighed MORE than I did at full term carrying my kids. YIKES!! :scared: I've been struggling to get that weight off, and I'm there, finally. . . BUT, I'd still like to turn back the clock. I've always felt that I could do "something" to stave off aging. Knew that exercise was probably the ticket, but didn't have any sort of clear guideline on what. The usual "every other day" recommendation never did work for me. I'd stick with the routine for two weeks or so, then one day off would become two, then three, then "what's the point?" and I'd stop completely.

The premise of the book is make being fit one of your "jobs" for the rest of your life. We women are so good at caregiving and making sure others have what they need, no matter what. The book spins it that taking care of YOURSELF needs to be one of your jobs that you do no matter what. And it includes exercising 6 days a week, for the rest of your life.

I started on February 27th. I walked for about 30 minutes. On a winding, hilly, dead end road not far from my house. Its the access road for our municipal dam. The scenery is beautiful and quiet. No traffic. Two summers ago, I could walk from one end to the other, and back (just over 3 miles, total), without puffing for breath. Thursday, I had to turn back for my car less than 1/3 of the way.

Today, if I pushed, I could have made it to the end, but I chose discretion instead, and turned back about 3/4 of the distance. I've felt stiff and kinda sore, but it reminds me of the first week of swim team practice when I was in school. Its a good stiff and sore. :ohyea:

So, anybody else want to be younger next year?

P

MZ33
Site Supporter - Silver
Site Supporter - Silver

#6 Unread post by MZ33 »

Well, I was going to skip the gym tonight because my clogs made me quite footsore at the mall. But after some time sitting (on the bike :wink: ), and now after reading your post, I think they are sufficiently recovered. So, off I go!

Lion_Lady

#7 Unread post by Lion_Lady »

MZ33 wrote:Well, I was going to skip the gym tonight because my clogs made me quite footsore at the mall. But after some time sitting (on the bike :wink: ), and now after reading your post, I think they are sufficiently recovered. So, off I go!
:hurrah:

P

follow
Legendary 300
Legendary 300

#8 Unread post by follow »

I feel so old.... :help:
I follow a new highway I haven't traveled before.

[img]http://i41.tinypic.com/2rpwdjq.jpg[/img] [img]http://i43.tinypic.com/wswow4.jpg[/img]

IBA Member: SS1000, BB1500, BBGold

HD 07 Street Glide-mine
HD 02 Road King-ours
Honda 06 ST1300-ours
Honda 97 ST1100-mine

Lion_Lady

#9 Unread post by Lion_Lady »

follow wrote:I feel so old.... :help:
Start out by just plain ole WALKING! half an hour, whatever. DO IT EVERY DAY, at least 6 days a week. Just get your heart rate up for a time. My first walk was SHORT, but I've kept at it. Day 9 and today I biked 7 miles with my husband!

P

MZ33
Site Supporter - Silver
Site Supporter - Silver

#10 Unread post by MZ33 »

I biked 7 miles with my husband!
:spot:

Rock on, Lion Lady! And follow, you are not old! , and you have a great heart. Sounds like you need to start taking care of yourself, too. Join in, the more the merrier! :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

BTW, I've started a blog on getting ready for Colorado. I did it in part to motivate myself to stay on track. Feel free to drop in and offer support, reflections, and the ole "constructive criticism." If I am really brave, I'll also include my struggles to regain fitness.