Younger Next Year. . .

Lion_Lady
Sex: Female
Years Riding: 20
My Motorcycle: 2013 BMW R1200R 90th Anniversary

#21 Unread post by Lion_Lady »

And now, hubby and I have been doing this for almost 2 months!! I've been walking at least an hour nearly every day... Hubby got his "pre-workout" physical and learned he's got borderline high blood pressure and his cholesterol is very high. Once he's done a stress test, he should be able to really get to it.

I discovered that I'm still a member of the health club I joined last year (billed to my credit card, assumed it would stop at 12 months...), so I've been over there several times the last week. I LOVE to swim.

Got a heart monitor, so I know how hard I'm working (and discovered the monitors on the machines at the club aren't always accurate).

Feeling better, lost a couple pounds. Sticking with it.

P
Last edited by Lion_Lady on Wed Apr 08, 2009 2:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
Courage in women is often mistaken for insanity - Alice Paul

coffee_brake
Legendary 300
Legendary 300
Sex: Male

#22 Unread post by coffee_brake »

You wommins rock! Ya'll just ain't gonna quit, are you? :shemademe:

I won't back down either, I'm running again, in addition to the class aerobics and weight training!

I figure it hurts my knees, but they're already far gone with arthritis and injury anyway, I may as well have them replaced in my 40's instead of my 60's, right? And for what it does to my knees, it sure makes my heart and lungs stronger, and burns some serious calories!

Wish I was like LionLady, I really hate swimming but I love to run. Or walk fast up hills on the treadmill, that's just as hard.

But you ladies are doing it right with the food thing. I can't seem to lose any more weight no matter how much I work out, so now I have to cut back on calories even more. Hubby's gonna love that.... :roll:
Jenn S.
AMA #658162
2005 Concours
2001 Vmax
1992 CB750

MZ33
Site Supporter - Silver
Site Supporter - Silver
Years Riding: 3
My Motorcycle: fabulous 2008 Kawi Versys

#23 Unread post by MZ33 »

But you ladies are doing it right with the food thing.
Well, Lion Lady is, but don't give me more credit than I deserve. Truth is, I had to "start again" yesterday. Y'see, I know what to do, but I don't often do it. Years ago, my success at anything depended on me berating myself and internally getting mad at myself for motivation. Rather like the quintessential football coach. I'm trying a less negative approach nowadays, and um, haven't got the kinks worked out yet.
[img]http://i39.tinypic.com/16jla1l.jpg[/img]

Lion_Lady

#24 Unread post by Lion_Lady »

Oh. I'm not nearly so good as you're giving me credit for. . . Last February I weighed 173. I've lost about 10 pounds, and gained 2 and lost 3 and gained 4, then lost 2, and up and down and up, and down... I don't want to think about how much I MIGHT have lost if, if only I could keep those coupla pounds off, instead of gaining them back.

When hubby and I met, I weighed 151. I wasn't skinny (haven't been since grade school), but I looked darn good. I'm glad I've gotten in the habit of weighing myself EVERY morning. Keep things from getting out of hand. I seem to have this mental block about getting below 160. EVERY time the scale reads close to 160, I go into "kitchen grazing" mode: Stupid stupid stupid and defeating. I've GOT to break that tendency, somehow!!

I'm off work today, and I plan to go to the gym and try one of their classes. We'll see how that goes. Depending on how I feel, I may swim laps after. I managed to swim for 20 minutes on Monday. Did about 30 lengths... sad when I consider that 20 lengths used to be our warm up BEFORE "real" swim team practice began :roll:

P

MZ33
Site Supporter - Silver
Site Supporter - Silver

#25 Unread post by MZ33 »

Yup, finished my coffee and now will go to the gym. I'm not a morning person, but if I don't go nearly first thing, I frequently end up not going at all.

Well, since you were brave and went first with the numbers . . . I'm 5'3. Previously, my all-time fattest was 173 lbs, and I am really quite happy at 145-150, although all the charts would put me at 135 lbs. When we got met, I was 155. When we married, I was about 170. Now, my all time heaviest is 192 lbs, and I am currently hanging at 185. I will be 46 yrs old in May.

I'm taking the book with me to the gym. I will knock off 2 must-do chores after that, then I will go for a ride somewhere.

coffee_brake
Legendary 300
Legendary 300

#26 Unread post by coffee_brake »

Ride to live,

work out to ride!
Jenn S.
AMA #658162
2005 Concours
2001 Vmax
1992 CB750

JMack
Regular
Regular

#27 Unread post by JMack »

I just turned 28 this past weekend, and have had a bad knee since high school. I started gaining weight a couple of years ago, especially in my legs. I was noticeably heavy and had buy new clothes.

This past year I started walking more, stopped drinking soda and alcohol and started drinking water and milk, also started eating salads for lunch. I have managed to lose some weight, but not just that I feel healthier. My knee feels better now, 9 months after tearing my MCL, then it did before I tore it because I've lost weight and gained muscle. I've also found I can sit my bike better and can actually fit on my husband's which I couldn't before because my legs were chubby and I couldn't touch the ground. Plus I sleep better at night.

Good luck to all of us trying to live a healthier life.

MZ33
Site Supporter - Silver
Site Supporter - Silver

#28 Unread post by MZ33 »

I love the book!! I've been reading it while treadmilling, ellipitcally cross-training, etc. It made 45 minutes whiz by. And I am feeling better.

John (my husband) has committed to rising early and going to the gym. It is a rather a bit earlier than I would choose, but so far I'm keeping up. We are trying to re-set our lifestyle to the healthier ones we both had when we first met. We may not always work out together, but we are committed to rising earlier, going to bed earlier, and working out somehow. And "cutting out the crap" with regard to foods, as the authors suggest.

:biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin:

Lion_Lady

#29 Unread post by Lion_Lady »

Last year, when I FIRST decided I was tired of being out of shape and "squishy" I got the book...
"Your Body for Life - for Women" by Dr. Pamela Peake

Unfortunately, it was a bit too, I don't know, it just didn't "click" for me. It directed me to do too many things, buy this, this and this, make this list, that list, etc.

After finishing Younger Next Year, I picked up Body for Life again. I was looking for some "back up" of the stuff laid out in YNY. I found it. Along with some other useful tidbits. Dr. Peake includes a graph to determine your Body Mass Index. Also some good ways to figure out how much weight you need to remove as well as basic healthy diet guidelines.

There is a section on how to get through those 'weak moments' and when its okay to indulge (in chocolate for instance).

P

sidewinder175
Rookie
Rookie

#30 Unread post by sidewinder175 »

Ok Ladies, now you are making me feel quilty. I keep saying I'm going to start walking and cycling but have a new excuse every day. I guess I have to jump on this bandwagon, and start doing instead of just talking about it, :laughing: