AM I ALONE IN THIS ?

Bratcat
Rookie
Rookie
Sex: Male

AM I ALONE IN THIS ?

#1 Unread post by Bratcat »

Hi Ladies,
I have come to value your opinions and insight so much I would like to ask what you think about some "trouble" I am finding myself in.
About 2 years ago I had to tell my husband that "I was going to learn to ride" he took it well, and surprised me when he learned. We now each have our own bikes and I ride every chance I get. We ride together often but when he's doing something else I'll go out on my own. I always tell someone where I'm going and about how long I'll be gone. This is where I get in trouble, It seems that when conditions are perfect, light traffic and thoroughly enjoying the experience. Somehow time gets away from me and the 1 hour "little run" turns into 2- 2 1/2 hours.
I realize that he trusts me and my abilities,It's the others out there that can really ruin that "perfect" day.He's scared for me. Part of me wants to make nice and tell him I'm sorry and I won't do it again, another part of me wants to stick out my chin and tell him to get over it........ We all know that probably isn't the way to go.
Anyway I was wondering if any other women out there have any similar issues and how you can find a happy medium, doing what you love to and not have to put your "other half" on nerve pills. :dumbfounded:

Thanks

Brackstone
Legendary 1500
Legendary 1500
Years Riding: 3
My Motorcycle: 2010/Ducati/Monster 1100

#2 Unread post by Brackstone »

Sorry I know I'm not a lady but I since I'm a geek I wanted to offer some advice here.

There is a device you can wear while you ride that will allow your husband to see where you are Via GPS. It can also be used to make an emergency call, it was in last months AMA magazine if you subscribe and this seems like a perfect solution. Unfortunately it comes with a monthly fee.

If that isn't, there are several phones that come with GPS built in so people you specify can see where you are.

Honestly, if he feels that strongly about it he should be willing to just understand you're gone for longer than you want. Otherwise I hope he'll just foot the bill for one of the two above ideas if he really IS just concerned for your safety, these will allow him to feel good when that hour ride turns into 2 hours.
Ducati Monster 1100 (Vrooom!!)
Aprilia Shiver 750 (sold)
2007 Kawasaki Ninja 250cc (sold)

ofblong
Legendary 2500
Legendary 2500
Years Riding: 4
My Motorcycle: 1996 Honda Shadow Deluxe VLX

#3 Unread post by ofblong »

If he trusts you he wouldnt be trying to make you feel bad for going on a 2 hour ride. Being a man of a wife that rides I worry about her all the time. however I dont bug her about it. I figure as long as I dont have an officer on my door step or a phone call from the police that she is just fine. I worry more because of the fact she is a blonde and is easily "distracted and confused". Dont give a time frame anymore. Just say I am going out for a ride ill be back when I get back which could be a couple hours might only be an hour depends on how the day is going. I know im not a female but I am a male and can somewhat give the males perspective.
96' Honda Shadow Deluxe VLX
Dream bike: Ducati Multistrada 1100S
[img]http://hdbits.org/pic/smilies/hdlove.gif[/img]

goodies
Veteran
Veteran

#4 Unread post by goodies »

Call to check in from time to time??

Fiddler
Rookie
Rookie

#5 Unread post by Fiddler »

Seems like the issue is your pre-set timeline. If you said something more like, "I'm going out for a ride, I'll be back later this afternoon," you wouldn't be late with reference to a clock. Since you've been known to be out and about for three hours or so he wouldn't be freaked out by it, and he could be pleasantly surprised when you're back sooner.

Lion_Lady
Sex: Female
Years Riding: 20
My Motorcycle: 2013 BMW R1200R 90th Anniversary

#6 Unread post by Lion_Lady »

Here's where modern technology is great. Do you have a cell phone? Does hubby have one? Can you text to each other?

If nothing else, you can text him "all okay" when you stop. You don't need to take off your helmet!

Does your bike have a clock on it? Not that I'm advocating taking shorter rides, but having a visible timepiece will at least make sure you don't lose track of time.

I got a "SPOT" satellite tracker for my planned cross country ride. The basic service is $99 a year, plus $149 for the unit. I'd say its overkill for your situation, but might alleviate his worries. The unit is about the size of an older Blackberry palm device.

http://www.findmespot.com/en/

P
Courage in women is often mistaken for insanity - Alice Paul

Bratcat
Rookie
Rookie

#7 Unread post by Bratcat »

I appreciate everyones input. And since we have an anniversary coming up I know just what to get him. It hadn't occurred to me to check into the different "gadgets" that are available now, its a perfect gift and one I KNOW he will use :clapping: I'll let you know how he likes it.

Thanks again & have a good ride

ofblong
Legendary 2500
Legendary 2500
Years Riding: 4
My Motorcycle: 1996 Honda Shadow Deluxe VLX

#8 Unread post by ofblong »

blues2cruise wrote:
ofblong wrote: I worry more because of the fact she is a blonde and is easily "distracted and confused".
You are walking a very dangerous walk by coming in to the ladies forum and making sexist remarks like that.

I know im not a female but I am a male and can somewhat give the males perspective.
Apparently your male perspective doesn't think much about how comments like the one above are offensive to women.
you obviously didnt grasp the true nature of my comments. That is also not sexist as by blonde it can mean either male or female. So you may want to get your facts straight and truly try to understand a comment before making a stupid assumption about a comment that was made because you feel "offended" by some meaning that isnt being made.

Why is it that someone says someone is blonde and they IMMEDIATLY think its about a women? I have seen and worked with stereotypical blonde males as well.
96' Honda Shadow Deluxe VLX
Dream bike: Ducati Multistrada 1100S
[img]http://hdbits.org/pic/smilies/hdlove.gif[/img]

Bratcat
Rookie
Rookie

#9 Unread post by Bratcat »

" Apparently your male perspective doesn't think much about how comments like the one above are offensive to women."

I again wanted to thank all of you for your excellent advice, however I am compelled to say that as a woman I did not find what he said offensive. Of course I have been accused of not being as "politically correct" as I'm supposed to be.
Oh well. :lipssealed: I'll make an attempt today by asking one question. What is the true definition of the word Moderator ? Not trying to be a smart***.

" A sense of humor is like gas, everyones got it, just some more than others"

[/quote]

RC DAVE
Elite
Elite

wow

#10 Unread post by RC DAVE »

:frusty: :laughing: :frusty: :laughing: :frusty: :laughing: :frusty: :laughing: :mrgreen: you guys are funny, a gps my wife would beat me with it hehehehehh
SEMPER FI
05 RC-51
06 800 bulevard
05 XR- fiddy
WISH I HAD A 1098