Baltimore, MD - Keystone, CO Route

Lion_Lady
Sex: Female
Years Riding: 20
My Motorcycle: 2013 BMW R1200R 90th Anniversary

Baltimore, MD - Keystone, CO Route

#1 Unread post by Lion_Lady »

Link to my route: "houses" are expected overnights. green pins are BP stations, yellow pins are "other" gas.

There's a food link in St. Louis - Barbecue!

http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?hl=en&ie ... 150391&z=6

P
Courage in women is often mistaken for insanity - Alice Paul

Wrider
Site Supporter - Gold
Site Supporter - Gold
Sex: Male
Years Riding: 4
My Motorcycle: 2005 Kawasaki Z750S

#2 Unread post by Wrider »

Hey there Lion! As a tip, you may want to leave fairly early on your last day, as some of the Interstate you'll be hitting through Colorado is a 65 mph zone and depending on what time you go through Denver it could take hours.
Looks like a great plan though! You beemer-snobs sure are thorough with your trip planning! :wink: :laughing:
Have owned - 2001 Suzuki Volusia
Current bike - 2005 Kawasaki Z750S
MMI Graduation date January 9th, 2009. Factory Certifications in Suzuki and Yamaha

Lion_Lady

#3 Unread post by Lion_Lady »

Thanks! Thats one of the reasons I posted my route, to get feedback like yours.

The route is definitely subject to change, especially the whole section west of St. Louis.

It appears that so long as there's gas available, heading south of Denver, from Oakley (through Colorado Springs) might be a workable alternative?

P

Johnj
Site Supporter - Platinum
Site Supporter - Platinum
Years Riding: 34
My Motorcycle: A Bolt of Lightning

#4 Unread post by Johnj »

I'd stop in Kansas City at that southern station. Take I470 south and follow it west to I435 west. Get off at Antioch and go south. Right behind it is Haywards BBQ. Get back on I435 west, it turns north going back to I70, which is where the racetrack, shopping, and eating places are.
People say I'm stupid and apathetic. I don't know what that means, and I don't care.
Always wear a helmet, eye protection, and protective clothing. Never ride under the influence of drugs or alcohol.

Lion_Lady

#5 Unread post by Lion_Lady »

Hmmm. Hayward's looks like a great lunch stop!

P

slimcolo
Legendary 1000
Legendary 1000

#6 Unread post by slimcolo »

You need to have an alternate route West of Denver. If there is a accident, on weekend or rush hour I 70 has traffic as bad as Denver. (two years ago a accident had I 70 Westbound closed for three days due to hazardous cleanup)

US 6 (Loveland Pass) will by pass the tunnels and take you straight to Keystone without having to double back from Dillon, but won't aviod much traffic, and has heavy truck traffic.

US 34 (Trail Ridge) through RMNP to Granby and down the 9 to Dillon is a great ride but much tourist traffic and pretty long (usually open by Memorial Day)

US 40 (Berthoud Pass) up to Granby and back South on the 9. But may take longer than sticking in traffic.

US 285 (Hampton Ave. in Denver metro area) to Fairplay then take the 9 North over Hoosier Pass through Breckinridge and Frisco to Dillon. (If you are a truely skilled rider with suicidal tendencies and a GS you could try Red Cone)

Also try looking here for some riding trips.
http://www.motorcycleroads.us/states/co.html
http://www.motorcyclecolorado.com/
http://www.motorcycleroads.com/routes/R ... CO_3.shtml
http://www.colorado.com/Articles.aspx?aid=42166
http://www.coloradobeemers.org/content/view/52/60/

This is also about same time and about 50 miles from Dillon.
http://pro-promotions.com/images/stories/SAV09-500.jpg

Wrider
Site Supporter - Gold
Site Supporter - Gold

#7 Unread post by Wrider »

Well if you want to take a detour through Colorado Springs I'd suggest you take Highway 24 west up to US 60 North. That'll take you over a nice riding pass, lots of hairpin turns, then it drops you off in Breckenridge. Ride through there, then directly into Keystone. And no matter which way you go, when you're in that area in the tourist seasons (summer and winter, but spring and fall aren't too bad) there's going to be a lot of traffic and distracted drivers.
MMI Graduation date January 9th, 2009. Factory Certifications in Suzuki and Yamaha

coffee_brake
Legendary 300
Legendary 300

#8 Unread post by coffee_brake »

I heard something about non-stock pipes getting your bike impounded in Denver. Not an issue for me, but I'm wondering if this is something to consider?

I heard you have to have an EPA stamp on your pipes or they'll take the bike.
Just heard, don't KNOW. Any info?
Jenn S.
AMA #658162
2005 Concours
2001 Vmax
1992 CB750

Wrider
Site Supporter - Gold
Site Supporter - Gold

#9 Unread post by Wrider »

Oh yeah I remember that. I haven't heard of it happening but the law is on the books. Even if it's quieter than stock or puts out less emissions than stock you can get the bike impounded. Ironic because there's still tons of little CRXs out there with fart cans the size of their wheels on em! :laughing:

Bluebabe
Elite
Elite

#10 Unread post by Bluebabe »

Wow, that is pretty neat! I did not know you could plan a trip like that on Google maps. I have always either programmed in the to and from or the GPS coordinates.

Pretty cool. I will have to go and check that out for a trip we are planning this summer!

Good job and I'm jealous!! Soon, soon. Couple of years now and hubby and I will be down that direction for our winters and be able to do some riding like that, in select areas. ;)
1978 Honda Twinstar 185
1986 Kawasaki 454
1992 Honda Shadow 600

Current bike:
2006 Kawasaki Vulcan 900 Classic LT

Christian Motorcyclists Association
Arctic Servants Chapter