Triumph T100 Bonneville

Ryethil
Legendary 300
Legendary 300
Sex: Male

Re: Wow...

#21 Unread post by Ryethil »

jstark47 wrote:
Social Distortion wrote: Finally- 2004 thruxtons are the 1st and last year they are made in England, 05 and newer are made in taiwon I think so I honestly have British Iron!!
Ryethil wrote:Yeah, I heard the same thing about them being made in Taiwan so tht's sort of a bummer. On the other hand, I've heard nothing but good things about them.
Not Taiwan. Thailand. Triumph has two factories, one in the UK, one in a suburb of Bangkok (Chonburi) in Thailand. The Thai operation was begun in 2002, with final assembly of some models beginning there in 2006.
No, actually there is a brand new Taiwan plant. The Thailand plant was to make motorcycles for the Asian market. The Tiumph management decided that making motorcycles in England was too expensive so they buit the Taiwan plant as a way of cutting costs. This part I know to be true. However, even among the dealers, no one knows which factories make which bike.

It kind of @%&$ because while I'm willing to buy a Brit bike, I'm not going to buy a second world one even if it supervised by original British engineers. And at least for me, not knowing the full extent all this fits together means that I won't consider buying a Triumph. :rant:
Alex
It's good spelling but it Wobbles, and the letters get in the wrong places. WtPooh

My First Custom, Late 90's Sportster, Heavily Breathed On, Big Block, S&S HP Heads, Custom High Performance Pipes. Wickedly fast, Uncomfortable, Front end is a jackhammer. Age 18yrs, Still have the bike!

[img]http://i863.photobucket.com/albums/ab194/Ryethil/user28512_pic25609_1235625747-1.jpg[/img]

Ryethil
Legendary 300
Legendary 300

#22 Unread post by Ryethil »

Social Distortion wrote:Well- enjoy your Triumph ride. I hope it takes your breath away.
The downside is that I'm sure there's lots of expectation and it doesn't let you down.
I tried a new triumph sprint and I wanted it to work since I saw lots of great reviews and I was sooo bummed out it didn't fit me the way I was hoping it would....took me a few days to get over it.
Thruxton note- thanks for the update on Taiwan/thailand.....hehee. The joke is that they are made better over there thank England...also, note that the 09 models are fuel injected and they don't have clip on handlebars, they use risers and a handlebar similar to the bonneville- you don't lean as much and its closer to you. It just depends on style and such.
Also, you don't see as many used thruxtons for sale often. I was lucky and a doctor friend of mine just didn't ride due to his schedule so he sold his to me.
Being in Chicago, I usually only see 2 thruxtons on craigslist per year. On ebay, I see about 2-3 per week, but usually expect to pay stop dollar as 04's usually sell for $5200......
Good luck- despite my carb issues, tearing that bike apart, lack of luggage space and its odd quirks, I love Luna so much that its unhealthy....hhehhehee
Give us a report on your impressions.....
The test ride will be this weekend and yes, I'll right about it. It is a 2009 and possibly one of the gray ones. As for Triumphs being built better in Taiwan, I withhold judgement until I see physical proof. There was a certain class to having a Brit built bike that maybe (will) be lost if it's built like an appliance.

I am really looking forward to it. It doesn't have to play nice for I have another bike that I ride everyday. However, it will be compared to my Buell and it will have to be pretty good to give me a more intense feeling than the S3 in the twisties.
Alex
It's good spelling but it Wobbles, and the letters get in the wrong places. WtPooh

My First Custom, Late 90's Sportster, Heavily Breathed On, Big Block, S&S HP Heads, Custom High Performance Pipes. Wickedly fast, Uncomfortable, Front end is a jackhammer. Age 18yrs, Still have the bike!

[img]http://i863.photobucket.com/albums/ab194/Ryethil/user28512_pic25609_1235625747-1.jpg[/img]

Social Distortion
Legendary 300
Legendary 300
My Motorcycle: 2004 triumph thruxton

#23 Unread post by Social Distortion »

Theywayto finout where your bike is made is looking @ the Vin number.
In the number, there's a 4 or 6 digit coder that states the manufacturing plant.
I'll find the guidelines and post it so people can look at it.
I think it breaks down to month, year, cc's, location and something else..
"Born to Lose and Destined to Fail"

Ryethil
Legendary 300
Legendary 300

#24 Unread post by Ryethil »

Social Distortion wrote:Theywayto finout where your bike is made is looking @ the Vin number.
In the number, there's a 4 or 6 digit coder that states the manufacturing plant.
I'll find the guidelines and post it so people can look at it.
I think it breaks down to month, year, cc's, location and something else..
:thankyousign:
Alex

jstark47
Site Supporter - Silver
Site Supporter - Silver
Years Riding: 16
My Motorcycle: '12 Tiger 800, '03 Trophy 1200

#25 Unread post by jstark47 »

Ryethil wrote:No, actually there is a brand new Taiwan plant. The Thailand plant was to make motorcycles for the Asian market. The Tiumph management decided that making motorcycles in England was too expensive so they buit the Taiwan plant as a way of cutting costs. This part I know to be true. However, even among the dealers, no one knows which factories make which bike.
As far as I know, this is just not true. The Triumph factory in Thailand does final assembly of certain models (e.g. Bonnevilles) for the entire world market, not just for Asia.

Quote your source if you want me to believe this about a Triumph factory in Taiwan (and I don't mean one unsubstantiated old post on triumphrat.net!) Also provide the address of the factory.

By the way, the 11th position of the VIN indicates the source for US imported bikes. J = Hinckley, UK; T = Chonburi, Thailand. (The USA mandates compliance with the ISO3779 VIN standard, bikes for other markets may use different VIN coding. 11th position is point of assembly under ISO3779.)
2003 Triumph Trophy 1200
2009 BMW F650GS (wife's)
2012 Triumph Tiger 800
2018 Yamaha XT250 (wife's)
2013 Kawasaki KLX250S

Ryethil
Legendary 300
Legendary 300

#26 Unread post by Ryethil »

jstark47 wrote:
Ryethil wrote:No, actually there is a brand new Taiwan plant. The Thailand plant was to make motorcycles for the Asian market. The Tiumph management decided that making motorcycles in England was too expensive so they buit the Taiwan plant as a way of cutting costs. This part I know to be true. However, even among the dealers, no one knows which factories make which bike.
As far as I know, this is just not true. The Triumph factory in Thailand does final assembly of certain models (e.g. Bonnevilles) for the entire world market, not just for Asia.

Quote your source if you want me to believe this about a Triumph factory in Taiwan (and I don't mean one unsubstantiated old post on triumphrat.net!) Also provide the address of the factory.

By the way, the 11th position of the VIN indicates the source for US imported bikes. J = Hinckley, UK; T = Chonburi, Thailand. (The USA mandates compliance with the ISO3779 VIN standard, bikes for other markets may use different VIN coding. 11th position is point of assembly under ISO3779.)
In actuality, I dunno!?! I didn't even know about the Rat-Triumph forum post until you mentioned it. If it is just a rumor then it has gotten some serious traction. One salesperson that I know gave me the heads up. But I don't have some unconvertable evidence, just major rumors. Kind of sad really. Triumph is trying to make a name for itself and then all these rumors of it being made in Asia somewhere.

However, for myself, I just scratched off Triumph from my list. Buying a piece of British History made by the English had some interest for me. Now, even though I love Triumphs and rebuild them at times, if it is made the same way an appliance is then I've lost all interest. :(
Alex

Social Distortion
Legendary 300
Legendary 300
My Motorcycle: 2004 triumph thruxton

#27 Unread post by Social Distortion »

as quoted earlier, from the triumphrat site.....

"FWIW the source I'm using is the Triumph NA document called "Triumph Motorcycle VIN Definition Summary". It came from Triumph. I used to work at a dealer, and Triumph faxed us the document. It CLEARLY states that the 11th VIN position is used to designate the Assembly Plant. J = Jacknell Road, Hinkley, England. T = Chonburi, Thailand. There is no indication on this document that indicates that the 11th VIN postition indicates the "market the bike is destined for".

This is what the fields mean:
POS 1 - 3 Manufacturer
POS 4 - 6 Model
POS 7 - Engine
POS 8 - Power Output
POS 9 - Check Digit
POS 10 - Model Year
POS 11 - Assembly Plant
POS 12 - 17 - Sequence Production Number

The VIN you provided belongs to a motorcycle that was manufactured in Great Britain by the Triumph corporation.
2005 TRIUMPH
T100 BONNEVILLE
VIN:
SMT910K175J22XXXX

World region:
Europe

Manufactured in:
Great Britain

Year:

Make:
Triumph

Model:
T100 BONNEVILLE

Body style:
Road / Street

Drive type:
RWD

Cylinders:
2 Cylinders

Mine is obviously for a thruxton, but once you get a VIN number, this may help out a little...

also a website thats supposed to help you decifer your VIn number
http://www.motoverse.com/tools/vin/triumph.asp
"Born to Lose and Destined to Fail"