Triumph T100 Bonneville

BonnieBabe
Rookie
Rookie
Sex: Male

Triumph T100 Bonneville

#1 Unread post by BonnieBabe »

Hi all. I'm brand new to this forum and I thought I'd say Hi.

I traded in my Honda CB500 which even though it was only five years old, having been constantly ridden in all weathers looked and felt a lot older. Then two weeks ago I treated myself to a six month old T100. What a revelation, an inspiration! Im having problems stopping riding, I just dont want to get off. Then today my spotless chrome exhausts have turned blue, any ideas? Could this be the fuel injection? Any help appreciated.

coffee_brake
Legendary 300
Legendary 300

#2 Unread post by coffee_brake »

Hi Bonnie,

How many miles did your bike have when you got it? Almost all pipes turn blue to a degree within a few thousand miles of new (many cruisers have heat shields over the exhuast that hide the blue), maybe your new bike has so few miles that they hadn't turned blue yet until you got it and rode it so much.

Blue is much better than yellow. Yellow pipes indicate running too lean a fuel/air mixture, and that's bad for your engine.

If the motor is coughing and sputtering or backfiring and choking off, then yes your fuel injection might be at fault. But if it's running sweetly and hasn't been modified with aftermarket pipes...then blue is nothing to fear.

And... :welcome:
Jenn S.
AMA #658162
2005 Concours
2001 Vmax
1992 CB750

BonnieBabe
Rookie
Rookie

#3 Unread post by BonnieBabe »

Thanks Coffee Brake

The bikes only got 2000 miles on it but it does have aftermarket pipes. It doesnt cough or sputter and runs so sweetly.

Thanks for the :welcome: Its good to be here

J

Social Distortion
Legendary 300
Legendary 300
My Motorcycle: 2004 triumph thruxton

#4 Unread post by Social Distortion »

welcome
i love my 04 thruxton!
"Born to Lose and Destined to Fail"

jstark47
Site Supporter - Silver
Site Supporter - Silver
Years Riding: 16
My Motorcycle: '12 Tiger 800, '03 Trophy 1200

#5 Unread post by jstark47 »

All Bonne's typically blue out the header pipes. They're notorious for it. The pipe is only single-walled, the bikes are set up to run lean to meet emissions standards, hence they run hot.

I take it yours is one of the new EFI ones? With the carb'd Bonne's, unless the air injection was removed in the first few miles, the pipes were going to blue out.
2003 Triumph Trophy 1200
2009 BMW F650GS (wife's)
2012 Triumph Tiger 800
2018 Yamaha XT250 (wife's)
2013 Kawasaki KLX250S

BonnieBabe
Rookie
Rookie

#6 Unread post by BonnieBabe »

Thanks all

I feel reassured its normal, its a bit of a shame tho', but I still love my baby.

:D

coffee_brake
Legendary 300
Legendary 300

#7 Unread post by coffee_brake »

B Babe, just ride on down to the parts store and get yourself one of many products designed to polish out the blue. It won't take it completely away but it will help a great deal. And it will give you something to do when you're not riding your new baby!

Isn't it just fantastic to "fall onto" the perfect motorcycle for you? It's like an old friend before you ever shift into second.
Jenn S.
AMA #658162
2005 Concours
2001 Vmax
1992 CB750

HYPERR
Legendary 3000
Legendary 3000
My Motorcycle: Year/Make/Model

#8 Unread post by HYPERR »

jstark47 wrote:All Bonne's typically blue out the header pipes. They're notorious for it. The pipe is only single-walled, the bikes are set up to run lean to meet emissions standards, hence they run hot.

I take it yours is one of the new EFI ones? With the carb'd Bonne's, unless the air injection was removed in the first few miles, the pipes were going to blue out.
I ripped the smog stuff off my KLX250S when I got it along with properly jetting it on the slightly rich side and my pipes never turned blue, just the slight light tan toast color which is really inevitable on a single walled pipe. And this bike has seen some slow tight technical stuff in 90+ degree weather. I know other guys with the same bike that did not rejet or kept the emission stuff on and the header pipe turned royal purple. :shock:
2008 Ducati Hypermotard 1100
2006 Kawasaki KLX250S
2004 Honda CBR600RR
2002 BMW R1150R
1996 Ducati 900SS

BonnieBabe
Rookie
Rookie

#9 Unread post by BonnieBabe »

Thanks to all of you - again. You've really helped me out.

Coffee Brake you are so right, I just fell into an addictive love the instant I rode it. I thought I knew what biking was, I was so wrong. I'll get a product over the weekend nd give it go. Have to get off some time - ha ha

:thankyousign: XX J

joolz
Elite
Elite
My Motorcycle: '09 VN900 Custom

#10 Unread post by joolz »

Dont worry about the blue- my Bonnie's pipes went within 100 miles Mind you they matched the tank then so I wasn't really bothered :D
I kiss my dog on the mouth