V-Star Owners - Help !!

djspring
Rookie
Rookie

V-Star Owners - Help !!

#1 Unread post by djspring »

Does anyone owning a V-Star Classic 650 cc have trouble with fuel injeciton system?

Last October my bike slowed to a crawl while on a ride (luckily 1 block from my house). We took it to the shop where it stayed for 3 weeks and they said it was standard for V-Star's and the only way to fix it was to do something (??) to allow more fuel to pass through.
Sounded pretty costly to me. Does this sound right to you?

Even today, I can ride it, but there is an unusal exhaust smell and the bike does not purrrrrrr like I expect it to. It's a 2007 with 1300 miles.

This is my dream bike and I don't want to get rid of it. What can I do?
~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
07' Yamaha V-Star Classic 650
97' Honda Magna 750
02' Suzuki GZ 250
~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

dr_bar
Site Supporter - Diamond
Site Supporter - Diamond
Sex: Male
Years Riding: 44
My Motorcycle: 2007 Yamaha Royal Star Venture

#2 Unread post by dr_bar »

Pretty sure a 650 is carbureted, not fuel injected. I would post this in the trouble shooting forum to get a quicker reply...

Also, I don't know of any other 650 V-Star rider having made that complaint. Check out another yamaha shop...
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Four wheels move the body.
Two wheels move the soul!"

Ryethil
Legendary 300
Legendary 300

#3 Unread post by Ryethil »

dr_bar wrote: Also, I don't know of any other 650 V-Star rider having made that complaint. Check out another yamaha shop...
Yes, check out another shop. Motorcycle dealers are suffering a lot of problems due to the economy. So many try to make up lost revenue by jacking up the price of repairs. Not a good thing especially if money is tight. I have two Harley shops with in shouting distance of each other. I know them both and compare prices constantly. :thumbsup:
Alex
It's good spelling but it Wobbles, and the letters get in the wrong places. WtPooh

My First Custom, Late 90's Sportster, Heavily Breathed On, Big Block, S&S HP Heads, Custom High Performance Pipes. Wickedly fast, Uncomfortable, Front end is a jackhammer. Age 18yrs, Still have the bike!

[img]http://i863.photobucket.com/albums/ab194/Ryethil/user28512_pic25609_1235625747-1.jpg[/img]

MTexile
Elite
Elite
Years Riding: 11
My Motorcycle: 09 FXD & 03 XL 1200C

#4 Unread post by MTexile »

+1 Ryethil, find another dealer, quickly. Bet once you tell the new service dept. your problem (and lack of support from the previous dealership), you won't get blown off. In this economy, they can't afford to alienate loyal customers.
2009 Harley Super Glide ("Therapy")

MZ33
Site Supporter - Silver
Site Supporter - Silver
Sex: Female
Years Riding: 3
My Motorcycle: fabulous 2008 Kawi Versys

#5 Unread post by MZ33 »

standard for V-Star's
Must be a new standard, then. Specs for the 2007 VStar classic specifically say:
  • Fuel Injector No
  • Carburetor Yes
So, yeah, find another mechanic. I've never heard about this being a "known problem." Was the local mechanic a certified Yamaha mechanic? If so, I'm sure the Yamaha Company would love to hear about this standard problem. They should be able to steer you in the direction of a reputable repair center, though.

Honestly, the 650 V Star is a solid little workhorse, basic and straightforward, from what my trusted mechanic friends tell me. Don't despair just yet.
[img]http://i39.tinypic.com/16jla1l.jpg[/img]

Social Distortion
Legendary 300
Legendary 300
My Motorcycle: 2004 triumph thruxton

#6 Unread post by Social Distortion »

where are you located at.
this sounds wrong and im sure my 650 buddies can help you out..
"Born to Lose and Destined to Fail"