Second year rider here. I have a Virago 250. Towards the end of last year I was also thinking about upgrading because my hubby and I were getting into longer weekend rides.
One thought that someone posted here was to suggest waiting at least two years before upgrading. Another poster here offered the following criteria that I'm using to evaluate my riding skill. See if this helps you sort out what you'd like to have versus if you're ready to upgrade.
Thoughts - Upgrading to Bigger Bike
[from a post on TMW]
I ride a s40 so let me ask a few questions:
- what is the maximum speed that you have achieved (and sustained) on your bike?
- can you make an U turn in less than 2 parking spots width?
- can you make a full circle with handle bars mostly locked to one side?
- did you ever drag your pegs? Did you do it during slow speed maneuvers?
- can you stop and start without putting your right foot down? Can you do it repeatedly in traffic, especially on the tight right turns?
- can you constantly avoid 'duck walking' when getting out of parking spot or driveway on the street?
- can you constantly avoid using your foot to save from shaky situations during slow speed turns and stops?
- do people in cars constantly outrun you from lights even though you are doing your best to beat them.
In my opinion, I can't honestly say that I achieve all of the above with a level of consistency that I'm comfortable with, so I'm telling myself for now that I'll postpone my upgrade until next year. Ride safely.