Am I ready??

sarahh_00
Rookie
Rookie
Sex: Male

Am I ready??

#1 Unread post by sarahh_00 »

I am a new rider and I bought a 86 Honda Rebel 250 in April. I ride everyday that it doenst rain. And I LOVE IT!!! :P I have been thinking that I might want a something a little bigger like a 500. I feel I could handle it. Any advice or suggestions?

Johnj
Site Supporter - Platinum
Site Supporter - Platinum
Years Riding: 34
My Motorcycle: A Bolt of Lightning

#2 Unread post by Johnj »

Hi Sarahh, I hope you've taken the MSF course or some equivalent. You, after all, are the only person that can decide when your ready to move up. Good luck finding that next bike.
People say I'm stupid and apathetic. I don't know what that means, and I don't care.
Always wear a helmet, eye protection, and protective clothing. Never ride under the influence of drugs or alcohol.

MTexile
Elite
Elite
Years Riding: 11
My Motorcycle: 09 FXD & 03 XL 1200C

#3 Unread post by MTexile »

+1 Johnj...
2009 Harley Super Glide ("Therapy")

RocketGirl
Elite
Elite
Sex: Female
Years Riding: 4
My Motorcycle: 2007 Yamaha Virago 250

Ladies - Upgrading to Bigger Bike

#4 Unread post by RocketGirl »

Hi.

Second year rider here. I have a Virago 250. Towards the end of last year I was also thinking about upgrading because my hubby and I were getting into longer weekend rides.

One thought that someone posted here was to suggest waiting at least two years before upgrading. Another poster here offered the following criteria that I'm using to evaluate my riding skill. See if this helps you sort out what you'd like to have versus if you're ready to upgrade.

Thoughts - Upgrading to Bigger Bike [from a post on TMW]

I ride a s40 so let me ask a few questions:

- what is the maximum speed that you have achieved (and sustained) on your bike?

- can you make an U turn in less than 2 parking spots width?

- can you make a full circle with handle bars mostly locked to one side?

- did you ever drag your pegs? Did you do it during slow speed maneuvers?

- can you stop and start without putting your right foot down? Can you do it repeatedly in traffic, especially on the tight right turns?

- can you constantly avoid 'duck walking' when getting out of parking spot or driveway on the street?

- can you constantly avoid using your foot to save from shaky situations during slow speed turns and stops?

- do people in cars constantly outrun you from lights even though you are doing your best to beat them.

In my opinion, I can't honestly say that I achieve all of the above with a level of consistency that I'm comfortable with, so I'm telling myself for now that I'll postpone my upgrade until next year. Ride safely. 8)