MZ33
Site Supporter - Silver
Site Supporter - Silver
Sex: Female
Years Riding: 3
My Motorcycle: fabulous 2008 Kawi Versys

So, whachya packin'?

#1 Unread post by MZ33 »

I'm wondering what other women are taking on the trip(s) to the AMA conference, and how much? LionLady & I will be routing through Kansas, which can be 90+ degrees in August, while Colorado can be in the 40's, and rarely above the 70's (Fahrenheit.) Sooo, one jacket or two? One pair of multiseason riding pants and a whole lot of Febreeze? Two pair, so that one can air out? More?

What's an unseasoned traveler to do?
[img]http://i39.tinypic.com/16jla1l.jpg[/img]

Wrider
Site Supporter - Gold
Site Supporter - Gold
Sex: Male
Years Riding: 4
My Motorcycle: 2005 Kawasaki Z750S

#2 Unread post by Wrider »

Just a quick point, in the mornings it may be down to 45, but unlikely in August, probably about 50-55, and it may get up to 90 or so in Keystone during that time period. Plan on at least 80-85 though.
Have owned - 2001 Suzuki Volusia
Current bike - 2005 Kawasaki Z750S
MMI Graduation date January 9th, 2009. Factory Certifications in Suzuki and Yamaha

Lion_Lady
Years Riding: 20
My Motorcycle: 2013 BMW R1200R 90th Anniversary

#3 Unread post by Lion_Lady »

I'd actually considered SHIPPING my cool weather gear to CO, rather than try to pack it on the bike.

Now, I think I"m just gonna wear my one piece suit (which is mesh) and carry a couple extra layers for underneath. I've got a great windproof fleece jacket that works quite well at mid 60's. I can just add a second one (or else wait until it warms up a bit. :wink:

P
Courage in women is often mistaken for insanity - Alice Paul

MZ33
Site Supporter - Silver
Site Supporter - Silver

#4 Unread post by MZ33 »

it may get up to 90 or so in Keystone
Really? Weather.com lists average high temp for the Resort as low-mid 70's for August, with the max recorded being 82 degrees. The average lows are something like 37 degrees. So, I figured it hung out at around 40-45 degrees in the morning, and made it's way up to 75-80 most days. How about the humidity, Wrider? I'm hoping that's not really an issue in the mountains.

coffee_brake
Legendary 300
Legendary 300

#5 Unread post by coffee_brake »

There ain't gonna be room for two jackets/pants. Your best bet is one very warm, easy to pack layer that you can shove at the bottom of your gear and forget about it till you need it. That layer for me is going to be my old military poly-pro top, but you civvies (hee hee, just joking, I'm a civvie too now) call it fleece.

I also always carry one warm thing to wrap around my neck, be that a balaclava or a light scarf.

Don't forget the wool socks. They keep your feet warm even when they are wet (unlike fleece).
Jenn S.
AMA #658162
2005 Concours
2001 Vmax
1992 CB750

MZ33
Site Supporter - Silver
Site Supporter - Silver

#6 Unread post by MZ33 »

That layer for me is going to be
Is going to be?? Does that mean you are going, after all? IF so, Yay!!

coffee_brake
Legendary 300
Legendary 300

#7 Unread post by coffee_brake »

Oh yeah, sure, unless a bike blows up (and I do have a backup bike, albeit no car), I'll be there. I've been scrounging every dime and by every account it looks like I can do it!
Jenn S.
AMA #658162
2005 Concours
2001 Vmax
1992 CB750

Wrider
Site Supporter - Gold
Site Supporter - Gold
Years Riding: 4
My Motorcycle: 2005 Kawasaki Z750S

#8 Unread post by Wrider »

Weird, but I guess they're probably more accurate. I just know how hot it gets out on the water fishing in the middle of the day! :laughing:
And yeah, humidity is super low up here in CO. Actually lower than Phoenix's during some parts of the year. We tend to consider anything over 40% "muggy" :laughing:

On the serious side though, DO drink a lot of water. Both on the trip up and during your stay. Most of you will be coming from really low altitudes and altitude sickness is a serious problem for you. Symptoms of altitude sickness range everywhere from dehydration and dizziness to death. (Latter only in cases of extreme change with extreme exertion usually)
But either way it's not fun. Lots of water, acclimate slowly, little activity the first day or two.
Have owned - 2001 Suzuki Volusia
Current bike - 2005 Kawasaki Z750S
MMI Graduation date January 9th, 2009. Factory Certifications in Suzuki and Yamaha

dr_bar
Site Supporter - Diamond
Site Supporter - Diamond
Years Riding: 44
My Motorcycle: 2007 Yamaha Royal Star Venture

#9 Unread post by dr_bar »

Set out everything you want to take on the trip. take a really good look at it, then put 50% of it back in your drawers. try and fit it all on the bike, you'll probably notice another culling of 50% of the remaining items is in order. Take old underwear, throw it out when it's finished with, leaving a small amount of room for souvenirs. a
Anyway you can save room counts. I pack my tent, sleeping mattress, and sleeping bag all in one dry bag. I roll up my self inflating mattress, put it in the dry bag and unwind it, my tent in it's bag goes in next then I stuff my sleeping bag all around it and it gives me a firm package that is easier to attach to the bikes pillion seat. If I have other things that will fit into the dry bag, I put them in it as well.

Good luck and have a great trip...
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Four wheels move the body.
Two wheels move the soul!"

blues2cruise
Years Riding: 16
My Motorcycle: 2000 Yamaha V-Star 1100

#10 Unread post by blues2cruise »

I will wear a pair of riding pants over my jeans for the journey. I will wear my mesh jacket, but I will also pack my down jacket for under the mesh and a waterproof windbreaker for over the mesh.

I will be using a camelback type drinking system to keep hydrated.
I will pack what I think I need for a week and do laundry a couple of times. (and a dress that packs really small and does not need ironing)
Some basic tools, a spare inner tube and some oil.
I will also pack a small tent and sleeping bag and a couple of painters drop sheets. They are cheap, lightweight and could make an emergency shelter for the 2 bikes and us.

Also...an invaluable accessory to have...

It is useful for threading through the sleeves and legs of your riding pants and locking to your bike with a disc lock (or some other kind of lock) when you want to stop somewhere but it's too hot or cumbersome to carry your gear. The cable also comes in handy for securing your bike to a post or railing or securing two bikes together.

SUNSCREEN