Shadow to Bonneville

PowerGirl5000
Rookie
Rookie
Sex: Male

Shadow to Bonneville

#1 Unread post by PowerGirl5000 »

Hi everyone! I hope I can get your opinion on something... I've had my license for a couple years now, and I used to have a 97 honda shadow vlx. I loved the bike with all my heart and wanted nothing more but to be able to just hop on and go for a ride, but I was still pretty intimidated and had a hard time leaving my neighborhood.

Anyway, I ended up going back to college for 2 more years and sold the bike for some much needed cash, but the desire inside me has never gone away, and I know that I have to try again. Looking back I feel that it was the size and weight of the bike that was giving me trouble, I felt that it was a little too much for me to get a handle on being a complete beginner.

I've started researching other bikes, and one that I've really gotten interested in is the Trimph Bonneville. The engine is a little bigger (865 from the 650 shadow) but it weighs about a hundred pounds less or so. Before I get my hopes too high about it, I wanted to know what you experienced riders out there thought...or if you had any other suggestions.

I really appreciate it!

coffee_brake
Legendary 300
Legendary 300

#2 Unread post by coffee_brake »

I've never owned a Shadow but I've ridden many. Honestly, I know far too many ladies (and gents) who are intimidated by them. I think they don't handle very well at all. I think they are heavy with too much weight up top, for a cruiser. And I think the seats and forward controls are abysmal. My Harley Dyna (long since sold for a faster Vmax) handled much better than any Shadow I ever rode.

I love bikes and they are my passion, but I think the Bonneville is a much better balanced motorcycle.

You have a degree; you are an adult who is over her "stupid tricks/speed freak" years. You can safely handle a bigger bike. My first bike, at 27, was a 800cc cruiser which I found perfectly suitable.

The Bonnie is one classy machine; if you have the means, and if you sit on it and it fits, snap it up!
Jenn S.
AMA #658162
2005 Concours
2001 Vmax
1992 CB750

PowerGirl5000
Rookie
Rookie

#3 Unread post by PowerGirl5000 »

thanks a lot for the encouraging words, i'm looking forward to getting back out there again :D