Administrator
Sex: Male
Years Riding: 32
My Motorcycle: 2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Stone

Women Riders - Why I ride: To help others by staying involve

#1 Unread post by totalmotorcycle »

Women Riders - Why I ride: To help others by staying involved
7/23/2009

Following in the footsteps of my grandfather, father and brother, I fell in love with the art of riding motorcycles. I began riding motorcycles in the summer of 2005 and purchased a brand new 2006 Kawasaki Ninja 636 in November of the same year. I road my black shiny Ninja throughout the winter and experienced more than my share of near misses on patches of snow and ice. Fortunately, my tumbles only occurred in my driveway.

In February 2009, a diagnosis of an aggressive form of breast cancer threatened to take away my passion for riding. However, my father told me it was imperative to get back on the motorcycle as soon as possible. He said it was the best type of therapy. Although I am currently in the midst of chemotherapy, I still find the time and energy to participate in as many motorcycle events as possible.

Through my deep faith in Jesus Christ and the support of my family, friends and Platinum Dreams Motorcycle Club I have stayed positive and focused on winning the battle against breast cancer.

I am passionate about supporting charitable events in the motorcycle community and have had the pleasure of being a part of some of the most positive motorcycle functions across the nation. However, my heart belonged to the Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. Million Motorcycle Motorcade (M5 Project) that raised money to help build the Martin Luther King Jr. Memorial on the National Mall in Washington, D.C.

This was a grassroots effort in partnership with the Washington, D.C., Martin Luther King Jr. National Memorial Project Foundation, Inc. that relied heavily on the support of national celebrities such as Bigg Tigger, major dealerships in the metropolitan D.C. area that included Old Glory Harley Davidson and Harley Davidson of Greater Washington, numerous motorcycle clubs and independent riders. According to Howard Clifford, chairman of Bikers With Heart, the gross proceeds raised for this event were in excess of $90,000. Additional information on making donations to support the memorial can be found on the website www.mlkmemorial.org.

The next charitable event that I plan to ride in is the Charity Ride for Missing and Exploited Children that will take place on Aug. 16 and is sponsored by Old Glory Harley Davidson, with special guest appearances by Elliot in the Morning. I had the pleasure of meeting Elliot at last year’s charity ride. Additional information about this charity ride can be found at www.OldGloryHD.com.

I am a member of the Platinum Dreams Motorcycle Club (www.pdsr-mc.com) and until recently, had served as public relations officer. My fight with breast cancer has caused me to scale down many activities and concentrate on helping others who were also diagnosed with this disease. I am also a member of the American Motorcyclist Association and Women on Wheels -- National Chapter.

Platinum Dreams is currently exploring fundraising opportunities to support the fight against breast cancer. My club sisters and I are looking forward to the AMA International Women & Motorcycling Conference to learn more about breast cancer fundraising through the Women’s Motorcyclist Foundation.

I also support several female motorcycle clubs located here on the East coast that have made great strides in improving the image and riding skills of women motorcyclists. For example, S.W.A.T. (Sisters With A Throttle, www.swatmc.com) provides a yearly training session entitled “Keeping In Check” that offers hands-on training and information on motorcycle maintenance. The Fiery Phoenix MC (www.thefireyphoenix.homestead.com) out of the Philadelphia, Pa., held the 6th annual Female Sport Bike Weekend in Cleveland, Ohio, June 26-28 that targets female sportbike riders from all over the country, hosts group rides, informational sessions, vendors, parties and much more. My Sister’s Keeper (www.mysisters-keeper.org), an all female social club works closely with the motorcycle community to provide needed services to women and children in need. They host yearly gift-wrapping tables around the greater D.C. area to raise money for disadvantaged women and children.
NEW 2024 Motorcycle Model Guides
2023 Motorcycle Model Guides

Total Motorcycle is official Media/Press for Aprilia, Benelli, Beta, Bimota, BMW, Brammo, Buell, Can-Am, CCW, Ducati, EBR, Harley-Davidson, Honda, Husqvarna, Husaberg, Hyosung, Indian, Kawasaki, KTM, KYMCO, LiveWire, Moto Guzzi, Moto Morini, MV Agusta, Norton, Phantom, Piaggio, Polaris, Ridley, Roehr, Royal Enfield, Suzuki, Triumph, Ural, Vespa, Victory, Yamaha and Zero.

Gina
Veteran
Veteran
Sex: Female
Years Riding: 4
My Motorcycle: 2007 Suzuki Boulevard 800

Hello!

#2 Unread post by Gina »

I loved reading your post. You are definitely an inspiration. I found that riding has helped me overcome some physical problems of my own too. Unfortunately, I had a wreck though and was sidelined for a while but even getting back on the road again and conquering that fear on top of everything else has helped me to pluck those zest for life strings! :lol:

I don't know if I'll ever be able to ride the kind of bike you're riding but I think it's neat that you see it as an art. I look at it that way too and there's so much to learn.
I will remember you in my prayers. Please keep posting and tell us how things are going for you!

Your sis in Christ,
Regina
Help me, Jesus!
www.reginarussell.weebly.com