Ladies - Women's first bike choice

Sherri650
Rookie
Rookie
Sex: Male

First Bike

#151 Unread post by Sherri650 »

After completing the MSF course, my husband bought a VTX 1300 for himself, assuming I would ride the VStar 650. Unfortuately, the crusier position did not feel right. I grew up riding dirt bikes and prefer leaning forward or more upright. So I bought a 2003 Suzuki SV650s. My MSF instructor recommended this bike to me along with several others.

My husband wants to lower it so he can ride it better! I am 5'8" with a 33" inseam and he has a 30" inseam. I told him I really like the seat height just where it is. :) However, he is going to add clip-ons for me to bring the bars up a bit. That way I won't be putting so much weight on my wrists. Has anyone else done this?
2003 Suzuki sv650s

Wolfey
Rookie
Rookie

My first bike, novice rider

#152 Unread post by Wolfey »

I chose a Yamaha V-Star 1100 Classic. She's heavy, but very smooth and stable. For me and this bike, it's all about control and awareness, and practice. Just like it would be on any other bike, I guess.
"Risk is essential. There is not growth of inspiration in staying within what is safe and comfortable. Once you find out what you do best, why not try something else? -- Alex Noble

======================
2002 Yamaha 1100 V-Star Classic
======================

Fiddler
Rookie
Rookie

#153 Unread post by Fiddler »

I couldn't help myself... There I was in a dealership with my 20-year-old son who said, "Hey mom, come check this out!" Of course the salesman thought my son was the one who was actually going to buy a bike, hehe. I sat on the bike and liked everything about it. Now it's mine. It's a Triumph Thruxton.

Triumphgirl
Legendary 300
Legendary 300
Sex: Female
Years Riding: 100
My Motorcycle: Triumph America 07

#154 Unread post by Triumphgirl »

Skier wrote:Any recommendations for a standard or possibly a cruiser for my GF? She's thinking about getting into riding (and I'm helping ;) ). I suppose at the MSF course she'll see if the Rebel works for her. She has a 27" inseam and is 5'1", so small is good. :)
My sister rides a Suzuki Boulevard, its great for the vertically challenged. As she is only 5' 2" it is great for her. Its a nice lean, compact bike, not to heavy.

Trobairitz
Rookie
Rookie
Years Riding: 5
My Motorcycle: 2009 Suzuki Gladius

First bike

#155 Unread post by Trobairitz »

Okay, so I am a newbie rider and a newbie to the forums. I have been lurking for about a month and finally joined today. I have enjoyed reading all of the posts about ladies getting excited about motorcycling and love reading the replies and advice.

My hubby has been riding since he was a kid and has had bikes the whole time we've been together (15 years). I grew up riding pillion on my mom's old trail bikes and her Harley and continued with hubby's bikes.

I've wanted to get into riding on my own and 6 years ago took the Team Oregon MSF course and got my endorsement. Things have always come up and we've never gotten me my own bike. Hadn't been a priority. Now it is. I already have all the gear as we are both ATGATT type of people.

Hubby taught me to ride on his 1976 Kawasaki KZ 900. I was comfortable riding around parking lots and shifting, braking etc until I took the safety course and used the little Honda Rebels. Was weird going back tot he KZ after.

I am just shy of 5'8" and it is almost all legs. The 250's, even the Ninjas do not fit well with my frame. I think toilet seats are taller than the seat of a Rebel 250.

Hubby currently has a 2007 Triumph Bonneville America he's had for a year. Prior to that he had a 2001 Triumph Sprint ST.

My question to all of you out there in forum land is what do you think of a BMW G 650 GS as a first bike? We are looking for a bike to do dual purpose. Something for him to commute in the winter as he rides year round and likes the idea of heated grips and ABS. (Was cold when he rode out this morning at 26 F degrees)

We feel the bike would suit both our purposes - me for weekend riding and him for weekday riding. We've been to the shops and they feel super comfortable and light. I like that they are only 423 lbs wet weight and the gas tank is under the seat so the center of gravity is lower. A Honda dealership actually recommended the BMW to us as a first bike.

Thought? Words of wisdom? Any and all advice is appreciated. :wearenotworthy: :wearenotworthy: :wearenotworthy:
"You laugh at me because I am different, I laugh at you because you're all the same." - Daniel Knode

amysue529
Rookie
Rookie
Years Riding: 2
My Motorcycle: 2009 Kawasaki Ninja 250R

New rider

#156 Unread post by amysue529 »

Just curious, I am a new rider ( the only experience I have is laps in a parking lot) and I REALLY want to get out there. I don't really like the idea of starting on a cruiser, I think a sportbike fits my personality better. My boyfriend has been riding for years and incessantly insists that I start out on a 600. I have rode his bike in a parking lot and just think that a 250 ninja will be better for me. Everyone says that if I get a 250 I will regret it because I will be ready to trade it in so fast. I cant touch on the 600 ( i know it can be lowered) and it just feels SO heavy. I cant even really keep it stable just sitting still. Experience women riders PLEASE HELP! I need advice!
We're here for a good time, not for a long time

amysue529
Rookie
Rookie
Years Riding: 2
My Motorcycle: 2009 Kawasaki Ninja 250R

#157 Unread post by amysue529 »

Hotscootermama wrote:I started on my '08 Ninja 250. I'm only 5'1" but we raised the handlebars 1" and lowered the back 2" I can almost flat foot it now!!
How long have you had your 250? I want one to learn on, I really like the 2008's new body style, but everyone tells me to start bigger because I will get bored fast. Just curious, how's it worked out for you so far?
We're here for a good time, not for a long time

MZ33
Site Supporter - Silver
Site Supporter - Silver
Years Riding: 3
My Motorcycle: fabulous 2008 Kawi Versys

#158 Unread post by MZ33 »

My boyfriend has been riding for years and incessantly insists that I start out on a 600.
Get a better boyfriend. Seriously. What right does he have to insist on what you ride? Does he like to control everything else in your life, too? Your car? Your clothes? Is he of the disposition that it's his way or no way? What gear does he wear, by the way?

It's tough to be a newbie when you are surrounded by bad advice. You want to be able to depend on them for help and pointers, but you have to be able to trust what they are telling you. It helps to be armed with a little more information: read the Sticky about newbies and 600 cc sportbikes in the Newbie Forum. And FYI, the highest crash rate for new riders were for those that were taught by their friends. Those rates were higher even than those who taught themselves. My guess is that peer pressure and the illusion of expertise have something to do with that. The best thing you can do for yourself is take lessons from a professional instructor, so take the Motorcycle Safety Foundation Beginner Course. They may even have a 250 Ninja or 500cc Buell for you to learn on.

Even if you lower the heavier sportbike, it will be top heavy, and that will be harder for you to handle than for your guy friends to handle. I have a Versys, and though it is 100 lbs lighter than our V Star cruiser, it is much harder for me to move around in the garage. If I had absolutely no experience, it would be a disaster.

When you are ready to sell your Ninja, there will be somebody ready to buy it. It won't lose much value in a year or two.

Okay, I've said my piece. Now for my betters: Lion Lady! Blues! Coffee!! And the rest of you experienced riders! Step up to the plate here and weigh in before I mix any more metaphors!! :laughing:

But above all, amysue,
:welcome4: to TMW!!
[img]http://i39.tinypic.com/16jla1l.jpg[/img]

Lion_Lady
Years Riding: 20
My Motorcycle: 2013 BMW R1200R 90th Anniversary

Re: New rider

#159 Unread post by Lion_Lady »

WELCOME!!
amysue529 wrote:Just curious, I am a new rider ( the only experience I have is laps in a parking lot) and I REALLY want to get out there. I don't really like the idea of starting on a cruiser, I think a sportbike fits my personality better. My boyfriend has been riding for years and incessantly insists that I start out on a 600. I have rode his bike in a parking lot and just think that a 250 ninja will be better for me. Everyone says that if I get a 250 I will regret it because I will be ready to trade it in so fast. I cant touch on the 600 ( i know it can be lowered) and it just feels SO heavy. I cant even really keep it stable just sitting still. Experience women riders PLEASE HELP! I need advice!
A LOT of guys assume that what worked for them will work for the lady in their life... they forget (or just don't KNOW) that guys are fine with the "try it, drop it, try it again, drop it, kick it, try it again" method of learning. Women are NOT.

Women like to have a good idea of what they're doing, AND be comfortable with the "equipment" before learning a new skill. As an MSF instructor, I've heard horror stories of women who took hubby or boyfriend's advice and tried to learn to ride on a big cruiser or sportbike and either got hurt, or just plain scared themselves spitless on a too big or too touchy machine.

Take the MSF Basic Riders Course first ( www.msf-usa.org ). You don't even need to have a motorcycle - the course provides "starter" bikes. Usually 250cc "standard" motorcycles. The cool is you'll learn all the important stuff that will help you build your skills and become a safe motorcyclist. No need to worry about meeting bf's expectations (or learning his possibly "bad" riding habits).

Why not go looking for a USED 250cc bike? They're always in high demand, and you won't lose money at resale like you may buying new and selling "in six months." No worries about denting/scratching a pristine machine and they're generally cheaper to insure.

P
Courage in women is often mistaken for insanity - Alice Paul

Lion_Lady
Years Riding: 20
My Motorcycle: 2013 BMW R1200R 90th Anniversary

Re: First bike

#160 Unread post by Lion_Lady »

Trobairitz wrote:Okay, so I am a newbie rider and a newbie to the forums. I have been lurking for about a month and finally joined today. I have enjoyed reading all of the posts about ladies getting excited about motorcycling and love reading the replies and advice. . .

I am just shy of 5'8" and it is almost all legs. The 250's, even the Ninjas do not fit well with my frame. I think toilet seats are taller than the seat of a Rebel 250.

Hubby currently has a 2007 Triumph Bonneville America he's had for a year. Prior to that he had a 2001 Triumph Sprint ST.

My question to all of you out there in forum land is what do you think of a BMW G 650 GS as a first bike? We are looking for a bike to do dual purpose. Something for him to commute in the winter as he rides year round and likes the idea of heated grips and ABS. (Was cold when he rode out this morning at 26 F degrees)

We feel the bike would suit both our purposes - me for weekend riding and him for weekday riding. We've been to the shops and they feel super comfortable and light. I like that they are only 423 lbs wet weight and the gas tank is under the seat so the center of gravity is lower. A Honda dealership actually recommended the BMW to us as a first bike.

Thought? Words of wisdom? Any and all advice is appreciated. :wearenotworthy: :wearenotworthy: :wearenotworthy:
We've got similar "dimensions:" Me - 34" inseam, 5'8" tall. I started out on the BMW f650CS. I LOVED that bike! The underseat gas tank is pretty cool.

The G650GS is not high powered, light weight, I'd say that it is probably a good choice. I think I'm gonna have to go take a test ride, myself.

P
Courage in women is often mistaken for insanity - Alice Paul