Gina
Veteran
Veteran
Sex: Female
Years Riding: 4
My Motorcycle: 2007 Suzuki Boulevard 800

Scooter lover

#181 Unread post by Gina »

I loved reading everyone's posts even though most of them were about motorcycles and not scooters. However, I do want to say that I read some earlier posts that I had to disagree with. Someone talked about the Yamaha 400 Majesty and said that at 5' 6" they were not able to completely reach the ground. I used to have a Yamaha Majesty and I flat footed it very easily even with my legs a little bent and I'm 5' 6". (Of course people are built differently.) Also, as far as the stability of the scooters at highway speeds (the person posting said that because of the way they were made there was a lift at highway speeds)---I'm amazed that more people haven't written to correct that notion.
I have a friend who is on the highway all the time with his Suzuki Bergman 400 and he says it rides very smooth.
My Grand Vista 250 goes 65 easily and is very stable at speeds even higher. I've had her out many times on the highway now and she rides just as smooth at 70 as she does at 45. She's almost as big as my husband's Honda 450 and only weighs about 30 lbs lighter. I can go anywhere he goes.
I will say that I wish my front tire was larger but as far as being an incredible ride for a 250---I have no problem on the highway with it at all.
Help me, Jesus!
www.reginarussell.weebly.com

wonderjana
Rookie
Rookie
Sex: Male

choices for beginners

#182 Unread post by wonderjana »

I took my MSF last spring and passed, got my license. We rode Buell blasts and I got to swich the seat out to a lower one. I was 40 year old, brand new rider and was on a tight budget to buy a bike after getting my license. Oh yeah, and a single mother who wanted my 8 year old to ride with me eventually.
I found that the differences in prices for smaller bikes weren't that great between new and used. I am 5'3" and wanted something that was comfortable , light, yet cool looking and had some kick...plus a sisssy bar for kid! LOL
Well....I did end up buying a new hyosung 250 which is a street bike made by a company in Korea who was just making mopeds/scooters. I actually joined this forum all that long time ago to see if anyone knew these bikes but they were too new a product.
I will say that it is great! I haven't had any problems with it, and the few drops don't show up too much :wink: . For the price range I was shopping in this bike had way more for the buck as well and is a v-twin which gives a little more kick and looks good!

wonderjana
Jana

LadyGiggles
Tricycle Squid
Tricycle Squid
Years Riding: 1
My Motorcycle: '02 Harley Sportster

Re: Ladies - Women's first bike choice

#183 Unread post by LadyGiggles »

:kicking: I got my license last spring. I started out on an '83 Honda Shadow. Was a good bike for me to start off with. Just recently got an '02 sportster. OMG I love my bike. Which I named "Lucky" cause im very lucky to have it and my buddy made me a points cover with a symbol for luck on it. I'm 5'5 in boots. So I had to put smaller shocks and lower the forks. Now I can ride comfortably.

Triumphgirl
Legendary 300
Legendary 300
Years Riding: 100
My Motorcycle: Triumph America 07

#184 Unread post by Triumphgirl »

LadyGiggles wrote::kicking: I got my license last spring. I started out on an '83 Honda Shadow. Was a good bike for me to start off with. Just recently got an '02 sportster. OMG I love my bike. Which I named "Lucky" cause im very lucky to have it and my buddy made me a points cover with a symbol for luck on it. I'm 5'5 in boots. So I had to put smaller shocks and lower the forks. Now I can ride comfortably.
:righton: Nice to see more ladies out there, enjoying the road. Enjoy your new ride!
I keep trying to Think...but nothing hAppens

wonderjana
Rookie
Rookie

#185 Unread post by wonderjana »

Thanks Kitty!
Jana

laurimurdock
Rookie
Rookie
Years Riding: 0
My Motorcycle: 2010 Harley Fat Boy Lo - matte black

#186 Unread post by laurimurdock »

I've been riding for only 4 months & have 4,300 miles on my brand-new Harley Fat Boy Lo. I'm 5'11" & neither fat nor "skinny" and am REALLY glad I started with such a fine machine! So lucky. It's 732 lbs, 1600 cc, lots of weight & power, but everything else I tried out just seemed WAY too small & light for me. I'd be happy with a regular Fat Boy, too, but my bf & I loved the flat black paint job on this, the sporty handlebars, etc. It's just an incredible bike, feels soooo good to ride, and so beautiful, too.
LM

Tonya7
Tricycle Squid
Tricycle Squid
My Motorcycle: 1994 Yamaha Serow XT225

#187 Unread post by Tonya7 »

My first bike was a 2006 Yamaha FZ6, which was a great bike but just proved to be too much. A bit too high, too heavy, and too powerful. So I sold it and just today I bought a 1994 Yamaha Serow XT225. I feel comfortable on this bike; I think the comfort level comes from the weigh being much less and while the seat height is actually higher than the FZ6 my footing is better. The seat on the XT225 is not as wide and the bike is lighter so it dampens more under my weight. Does anyone have an XT225? What problems have you come across? Where is a good place to buy aftermarket parts? I also welcome any comments and input/advice! Thanks!

wonderjana
Rookie
Rookie

#188 Unread post by wonderjana »

I agree with tonya, I have a smaller weighing bike and while I'm riding and becoming better and better , I don't need the added worry of lifting it after I drop it. My bike is a Hyosung Aquila 250 and weighs a little over 300 lbs. I can stop on a dime at fast speeds but at first I would come up to a stop on a 25 mile per hour road, stop and drop the bike. lol
Now I put my feet down a little quicker, but it's nice to know I can pick the thing up without any problems.
Jana

OrangeBeast
Rookie
Rookie
Years Riding: 1
My Motorcycle: 2003 Honda Shadow ACE 750

#189 Unread post by OrangeBeast »

I think the best approach is to take the course and THEN figure out what you think you'd be comfortable on. I started on a Kawasaki Vulcan 500, which was a good starter for me, and after two month of riding and getting the basics down (lots of practice and "Ride Like a Pro" DVD) I moved up to my Honda Shadow ACE 750, which I absolutely love.
A girlfriend of mine bought a Vulcan 800 prior to taking the course and is terrified of it! She's actually considering buying something smaller to learn on. (And I never said "I told you so" although I wanted to.) My point being it's very individual and you don't really know where you're at until you've gone through the course. My personal opinion is that it is easier to learn on something smaller, with less power...it's much more forgiving!

EMichelleKing
Tricycle Squid
Tricycle Squid
Years Riding: 0
My Motorcycle: 06 Honda Rebel 250

#190 Unread post by EMichelleKing »

Hi everybody, I just decided after being down at Bike Week in Daytona Beach this year that I wanted to learn how to ride a motorcycle. I am taking the Basic Rider class in August, that was the earliest that I could take it. My boyfriend just bought me a 06 Honda Rebel 250cc, he said that was the best bike for me to start out on ride it about a year then get me something bigger. He rides a 74 Harley Sportster 1000 and I love that bike, rode it a few times with him. I want to eventually get a Harley sportster 883, I like the way the sportsters look and think 883 will be plenty of bike for me. It will have enough power and still be easy for me to handle and control.

Michelle