Ladies - Women's first bike choice

Z (fka Sweet Tooth)
Site Supporter - Gold
Site Supporter - Gold
Sex: Male

#61 Unread post by Z (fka Sweet Tooth) »

Im so happy to have found this post. Im joining my husband on the road (along with the rest of the family) as a driver. I take my Motorcycle classes on Feb 24th. My husband just bought a Vulcan Classic and im inheriting his Honda Sabre 1100. I can easily flat foot the Honda but im not feeling 100% with the weight, it seems a bit top heavy for me. I dont want to have to try negotiating turns and obstacles in the road with newbie skills and deal with a top heavy bike on top of that. I hate to see the bike go, for sentimental reasons, but im not going to ride on something that I dont feel 100% comfortable with. I think im going to hit some dealers this weekend and get a feel for what else is out there. The information on the previous posts have really given me a good idea of what to look for and what I'm able to handle as a newbie.

Thanks for the info.

mammy
Regular
Regular

#62 Unread post by mammy »

I never rode a bike before... took the msf class.. read the forums.. read reviews on first bikes.. bought a 650 vstar classic...yesterday was my first ride after taking the class.. I LOVED IT.. it's comfortable.. rides awesomely.. and i can't wait to go on a longer ride.. the shifting is a little harder than on the smaller class bikes.. but it was great....don't be afraid of the 650 cruisers.. im 5'8 and not a barbie type.. it fit me great.. and was a ton of fun.
IT'S A WONDERFUL FEELING TO MAKE A LIFE DREAM COME TRUE.

Loonette
Site Supporter - Platinum
Sex: Female
Years Riding: 13
My Motorcycle: 2006/Kawasaki/Mean Streak/best bike ever

#63 Unread post by Loonette »

The Honda Sabre is a good, sturdy bike. Yes, it's heavy, and it might feel like a bit much at first. Just take your time practicing - visit an empty parking lot on your regular ride outs and work on u-turns, maximum braking and such. Getting around a tight, right turn might feel like your biggest obstacle on a big cruiser. Remember to give it gas coming out of your turns, and always look in the direction in which you want to go - don't look down or you're likely to go down.

Within my first 18 months of riding, I spent time on four different bikes. Moving up in size is always a challenge. Be patient with yourself, and things will smooth out before you know it. And I guarantee you this - when you get that puppy onto the open highway, and you're able to keep up with traffic and safely pass those big tractor-trailers, you'll be very happy to be on a big cruiser. Enjoy and ride safe!!

Cheers,
Loonette
FIRST RESPONDERS DO IT WITH LIGHTS AND SIRENS!! :smoke:
Find 'em hot, leave 'em wet...

2006 Mean Streak 1600

Loonette

#64 Unread post by Loonette »

Congrats on your first official ride, Mammy! Enjoy getting to know your beautiful bike.

Cheers,
Loonette

2006 Mean Streak 1600

wannabe rider
Tricycle Squid
Tricycle Squid

#65 Unread post by wannabe rider »

I'm sure my question has been answered but I don't really see it so i'll give this a shot. I'm 6'0 150, a brand new rider in Los Angeles. I'm signing up for the msf course in june. I've been looking for bikes so when I finish i can get one soon. My inseam is 35inches and as I sit on a few bikes most don't seem very comfortable. I'm looking at the cruiser style. Does anyone have any advice on what might fit me. I looked at a kawasaki 800 vulcan classic 2005 but the price is a little steep $6500. I'm trying to get under 6k and am not opposed to a used bike. I will be a weekend rider but traffic is a concern. Since CA law doesn't permit me to test drive a bike, How do I know if it is too heavy or will work for me " After I pass the course?"

Any help is appreciated and thanks for this site :wink:
Shelley

biker_rach
Veteran
Veteran

#66 Unread post by biker_rach »

Hey Shelley, I have the exact problem last spring. I'm not as tall as you, but not much shorter; I'm 5'9" and 155 lbs. I don't think its a big enough difference to matter. I bought a bike one year ago and my busy schedule (and course wait times) didnt even allow me to take a course. And of course you can't go test driving a bunch of bikes with no lisence (and in my case, without knowing how to drive one) just to see what you like. I am 22 and my dad was very helpful here. We looked at about 4 used bikes and he test drove for me to see what was smooth and light enough. At first he was stuck on me getting a 250 cruiser... but as he tested a few 750ccs he felt I could handle it. I got a shadow ACE 750 and with his help (I imagine similar to a course) I quickly learned how to drive in parking lots enough to get my lisence. I am SO happy that I didnt get a smaller bike because I would have outgrown it in a few weeks. I would strongly recommend the shadows as I have fallen in love with mine. Has enough power (for now) and is still easy to hold up. Hope this helps some!
Good luck!
Rachael

Loonette

#67 Unread post by Loonette »

Since the MSF course supplies the bikes, you should maybe just wait until after you're licensed to start bike shopping. That's what I did. You'll get a feel of a small cc bike in the course, as they use nothing larger than a 250cc - usually a 125cc. In the meantime, there's nothing preventing you from sitting on every bike you see to at least discover if it feels comfortable. Your arm reach to the bars is a consideration. Think of how your back might feel after a couple of hours in that riding position. While on the sidestand, put both feet on the pegs and just hang out for awhile. Salesmen don't care, especially if you're planning to buy in the near future. With both feet planted on the floor, sway the bike from left to right, just to the point where it becomes too heavy. How does the weight feel? Take notes of which bike models felt really nice comfort-wise. When you're able to test ride legally, check out available models that you liked when just sitting.

Good luck with both the class and shopping. It'll be great in the end - a feeling like none other.

Cheers,
Loonette

2006 Mean Streak 1600

[A][M][B][E][R]
Rookie
Rookie

my first bike

#68 Unread post by [A][M][B][E][R] »

im quite new to the riding scene...
im 5'6 with incredibly long lengs so i luck out in that area
but my first bike was a Suzuki SV650s....
bad idea...
its got too much torque and is way to top heavy for me
its dry weights only around 400lbs.. buuut... going to stop you get thrown forward... i learned the hard way.. cruisin at about 45...
althrough its built great for female riders (in the seat area)
im selling it and getting the Ninja 250R.. its what i learned to ride on in my MSF course.. and im a lot more comfortable on it..
not to mention the 70+ mpg and it tops out around 100..
for me thats perfect.. cant wait to get it next week

blues2cruise
Years Riding: 16
My Motorcycle: 2000 Yamaha V-Star 1100

#69 Unread post by blues2cruise »

I'm not familiar with Hondas and such, but I do know that Yamaha V-Stars can have their controls moved forward. A tall friend of mine had it done.

Loonette

Re: my first bike

#70 Unread post by Loonette »

[A][M][B][E][R] wrote:first bike was a Suzuki SV650s....

im selling it and getting the Ninja 250R
My first bike (well, after a couple of months on a Rebel) was a Yamaha FZ6. Bad idea! I can relate.

Maybe shoot for the Ninja 500. It's more in the middle of the two. In any case.... welcome to the forums. Hope your new bike comes along soon!

Cheers,
Loonette

2006 Mean Streak 1600