I came across this new show, on Youtube, about motorcycling and women

Check it out:

http://www.heelsonwheelstv.com

RMZMZM
Rookie
Rookie

Re: *** A new motorcycle show for LADIES

#2 Unread post by RMZMZM »

cpirao wrote:I came across this new show, on Youtube, about motorcycling and women

Check it out:

http://www.heelsonwheelstv.com
I wasted 10 minutes watching the first one and won't waste any more time with it. I do want to encourage and support other women riders. I didn't see this program bring useful information to other riders (at least based on this episode) and I am concerned that it may perpetuate mis-information. I hope these ladies are serious with their intent to learn to ride safely and eventually realize that spike heeled fashion boots are not appropriate footware during a ride. :frusty:

SundraP
Rookie
Rookie

#3 Unread post by SundraP »

I specifically joined this forum because I wanted to address your misperception of the point of the show. Just because women ride doesn't mean they can't be feminine. There are plenty of educational program out there and the show is for entertainment purposes. It was never stated that they would ride with heels - in fact the girl riding with heels doesn't have a bike - it was a parody. Of course, I agree that spiked heels are not for riding. :)
Riding

RMZMZM
Rookie
Rookie

#4 Unread post by RMZMZM »

SundraP wrote:I specifically joined this forum because I wanted to address your misperception of the point of the show. Just because women ride doesn't mean they can't be feminine. There are plenty of educational program out there and the show is for entertainment purposes. It was never stated that they would ride with heels - in fact the girl riding with heels doesn't have a bike - it was a parody. Of course, I agree that spiked heels are not for riding. :)
Only the persons who produce the show can state with any certainty what they INTEND for it to be. I agree it is a parody, but I didn't get the idea that parody was the intent. If you watch the program, you will see the two riding (on the road) are wearing the exact same boots they are walking in. The one without a bike is NEVER shown riding. She is shown sitting on a Ducati, in a garage.

I agree women who ride (or do any activity considered traditionaly masculine) are no less feminine than women that don't. I do take exception to the implication that being feminine has anything to do with fashion. That discussion deserves a seperate thread in a different section of the forum.

My criticism is that I don't think the program's intent is parody. It is a clear demonstration of new riders not knowing what they don't know. However, it does not appear that the goal is to correct that situation.

SundraP
Rookie
Rookie

#5 Unread post by SundraP »

Well -- I guess time will tell. I wasn't that put off by it, but I agree with your point that only the producers could say with any level of certainty.

They can do a lot with it -- I may send some feedback to see if they actually listen to viewers.
Riding

follow
Legendary 300
Legendary 300
Sex: Male

#6 Unread post by follow »

maybe we should make our own.... :wink: :wink:
Funny how we all noticed the heels, I dont' think I would jay-walk either.
I follow a new highway I haven't traveled before.

[img]http://i41.tinypic.com/2rpwdjq.jpg[/img] [img]http://i43.tinypic.com/wswow4.jpg[/img]

IBA Member: SS1000, BB1500, BBGold

HD 07 Street Glide-mine
HD 02 Road King-ours
Honda 06 ST1300-ours
Honda 97 ST1100-mine

Lion_Lady
Sex: Female
Years Riding: 20
My Motorcycle: 2013 BMW R1200R 90th Anniversary

#7 Unread post by Lion_Lady »

SundraP wrote:I specifically joined this forum because I wanted to address your misperception of the point of the show. Just because women ride doesn't mean they can't be feminine. There are plenty of educational program out there and the show is for entertainment purposes. It was never stated that they would ride with heels - in fact the girl riding with heels doesn't have a bike - it was a parody. Of course, I agree that spiked heels are not for riding. :)
Ummm. I call BS. If you look at the linked clip. At around 20 to 24 seconds into it, BOTH riders are wearing high heeled boots while riding. You get a better look at around 34 seconds in, when they're stopped. I'd say action speak louder than words.

>> It's a shame that apparently, anyone with a webcam can "produce" a tv show. Too bad, there's so little factual information. If it were touted as a "Blog" I don't think I'd have any issue with it. But the intent appears to be to educate, as well as "share" their experiences.

Will give them kudos for recommending the MSF BRC as the first step. Too bad they seem to have ignored much of the safety (ie proper gear) education that is part of the course.

P
Courage in women is often mistaken for insanity - Alice Paul

RMZMZM
Rookie
Rookie

#8 Unread post by RMZMZM »

Lion_Lady wrote:........ Too bad, there's so little factual information. If it were touted as a "Blog" I don't think I'd have any issue with it. But the intent appears to be to educate, as well as "share" their experiences.

Will give them kudos for recommending the MSF BRC as the first step. Too bad they seem to have ignored much of the safety (ie proper gear) education that is part of the course.

P
Said much better than my comments - but what I meant. Thank You!

blues2cruise
Sex: Female
Years Riding: 16
My Motorcycle: 2000 Yamaha V-Star 1100

#9 Unread post by blues2cruise »

I made it to 9 minutes. Could not be bothered to go to part 2.

follow
Legendary 300
Legendary 300
Sex: Male

#10 Unread post by follow »

blues2cruise wrote:I made it to 9 minutes. Could not be bothered to go to part 2.
Well the first few seconds got me....you all know I am short (legged) but I still wouldn't wear stiledo's or anything of the sort when riding, sure I would if I were going out (and get primped up). Yes I am aware that for the most part it was for all show but the impression can be strong for some, including me...thinking "how lame". (yes they can go lame if that foot gets caught)
I follow a new highway I haven't traveled before.

[img]http://i41.tinypic.com/2rpwdjq.jpg[/img] [img]http://i43.tinypic.com/wswow4.jpg[/img]

IBA Member: SS1000, BB1500, BBGold

HD 07 Street Glide-mine
HD 02 Road King-ours
Honda 06 ST1300-ours
Honda 97 ST1100-mine