650 suzuki savage

Rookie
Rookie
Sex: Male

650 suzuki savage

#1 Unread post by newbie »

Thinking about this bike. I have only grew up on dirt bikes this will be my first road bike any thoughts?

coffee_brake
Legendary 300
Legendary 300

#2 Unread post by coffee_brake »

Small and manageable, but it will shake you to pieces on the highway.

It will be good to learn on, but I don't know many who can put any kind of distance riding on them....

Wow you're up late...it's early here....
Jenn S.
AMA #658162
2005 Concours
2001 Vmax
1992 CB750

Rookie
Rookie

thank you

#3 Unread post by newbie »

I stayed up a little late,i do not get off work until 12:30a.m . Then I was checking out this bike on line and found this site. Usually in bed by 2:30 OOPS!

Triumphgirl
Legendary 300
Legendary 300
Sex: Female
Years Riding: 100
My Motorcycle: Triumph America 07

#4 Unread post by Triumphgirl »

My sister has an older 650 Savage, the one lunger is or i should say was a good bike in her day. Great for the vertically challenged. Good bike for the newbie. Though I have to agree with coffee break, its not great on the long haul. But great for bombing around town.

coffee_brake
Legendary 300
Legendary 300

#5 Unread post by coffee_brake »

Well you really do have to look at who you are right now. Some younger folks know that they better get started on a 250 because they like to wring the throttle and go fast.

Some folks don't need the drama :roll: and do just fine with bigger motorcycles right off the bat. I started riding in my late 20's on an 800cc machine and had no troubles. Successfully and safely moved up to bigger machines, but my favorite bike is my 750 commuter.

Don't limit yourself to cruisers. Sit on every bike the dealership and the local bike night locals will allow, even if you don't think you'll like it. The one that fits you will scream in your ear right away.
If you are a mature driver you will likely be a mature rider. Your driving record will tell the tale!

Let us know what you choose, we're glad to have you.....
Jenn S.
AMA #658162
2005 Concours
2001 Vmax
1992 CB750

follow
Legendary 300
Legendary 300

#6 Unread post by follow »

+1 on what coffee said.

Also you can rent bikes I do know HD has a deal that you rent for the weekend and you bring the bike back and switch for another, as many times as you want.
I'm not familiar with other rental companies if they will do the same, but will not hurt to check it out...call Suzuki and the other brands.
I follow a new highway I haven't traveled before.

[img]http://i41.tinypic.com/2rpwdjq.jpg[/img] [img]http://i43.tinypic.com/wswow4.jpg[/img]

IBA Member: SS1000, BB1500, BBGold

HD 07 Street Glide-mine
HD 02 Road King-ours
Honda 06 ST1300-ours
Honda 97 ST1100-mine

tcreeley
Veteran
Veteran

Re: 650 suzuki savage

#7 Unread post by tcreeley »

I love my 1987 Suzuki Savage. It has plenty of power and torque. Comfortable and reliable. Check out this Savage forum for another view of them - unbiased by the status quo! You don't have to have a bike as big as 800cc to 1400cc to enjoy it. The Savage, LS650, S40 are all the same basic bike - cruiser and comfortable. You don't have to buy a crotch-rocket unless you want to to own one. The Savage is the least expensive of the bikes and the quality is good. It is simple to work on- one carb and reliable. Parts are everywhere.
http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl :)

MZ33
Site Supporter - Silver
Site Supporter - Silver
Years Riding: 3
My Motorcycle: fabulous 2008 Kawi Versys

#8 Unread post by MZ33 »

I don't think anyone was knocking the Savage/S40 here. It is a fine bike, but for any distance, everyone I know that had a choice over a thumper vs. a v-twin or inline 4 or triple always chooses one of the latter. In fact, one of the women here had an S40, and traded it in for a smaller displacement V-twin, a 500cc Kawi Vulcan. She rode the Vulcan from Pennsylvania to Colorado and lots of places inbetween.

If the OP can get a Savage for a good price--and I imagine she can--it will be a good starter bike, and probably a fun around-town bike. One of the best aspects is that she will not have invested a LARGE amount of money on a shiny bike until she knows a bit more about her likes and dislikes.
[img]http://i39.tinypic.com/16jla1l.jpg[/img]

sunshine229
Years Riding: 14
My Motorcycle: 2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Stone

#9 Unread post by sunshine229 »

+1 MZ33 :mrgreen:

It would be a great starter bike!

I have a friend who was in her late 30's when she started riding and started with a Savage. She loved it for the first while but upgraded after one year so she could handle longer rides. That shouldn't deter you though!
Andrea :sun: