New Riding gear

sarahh_00
Rookie
Rookie
Sex: Male

New Riding gear

#1 Unread post by sarahh_00 »

Well since the weather is getting nice here in WI I've seen quite a few people on bikes. And I can't wait to get mine out!! I want to get new gear before I start riding this year and I was wondering if some of you ladies could give me some help.
So I guess my question is Where is the best place to get gear? (It doesnt matter if it's online or not.) Another question is can someone give me some info about chaps? I REALLY want to buy some this year so any info would be great!!

Thanks Ladies!!!!

Lion_Lady
Sex: Female
Years Riding: 20
My Motorcycle: 2013 BMW R1200R 90th Anniversary

Re: New Riding gear

#2 Unread post by Lion_Lady »

Chaps won't protect your bum/hips if you go down, and they don't have armor. Your bones are as likely to suffer serious injuries as the skin is to get "rashed."

Olympia makes really nice "woman shaped" protective gear. I don't shop for leather gear (except gloves/boots). Textile is nice because it is usually lighter in weight, there are more color options and it can be more easily washed when it gets bug encrusted, etc.

P
Courage in women is often mistaken for insanity - Alice Paul

Thumper
Legendary 500
Legendary 500
Years Riding: 9
My Motorcycle: '14 BMW F700GS

#3 Unread post by Thumper »

newenough.com is a great online place for gear, though they don't sell my favorite warm weather jacket (Olympia Airglide...does an incredible job of venting.)

And I second the thumbs down on chaps. They're good for keeping the bugs from striking to your legs, but if you go down, they'll be useless. chances are you'll hit the ground with your backside, which is all exposed...chewed up hips and butt is probably not fun.

Better option would be overpants. I have both leather and textile; I actually feel safer in the textile because they have some armor, and in winter they're warmer.

sunshine229
Years Riding: 14
My Motorcycle: 2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Stone

#4 Unread post by sunshine229 »

+1 on newenough.com
Also, I bought my m/c jacket on Ebay.

If you would normally just ride with jeans then the chaps will give you a bit more abrasion protection (if required, and hopefully won't be!). It's better than nothing!

Andrea :)
Andrea :sun:

sarahh_00
Rookie
Rookie

#5 Unread post by sarahh_00 »

Thanks Ladies!! I really appreciate it!

ceemes
Legendary 2000
Legendary 2000
Years Riding: 26
My Motorcycle: 1998 Triumph Trophy
Location: Burnaby, BC, Canada, Sol 3, the Milky Way Galaxy, the Known Universe.

#6 Unread post by ceemes »

Ok, I'm a guy but I thought I'd toss my two bit in. Chaps should be left as a fashion statement best worn at certain types of bars in San Francisco. As far as protection goes, they are minimal at best. Every time I have suddenly found my bike disappearing out from under me, I have always landed on my backside at some point. Assless chaps just don't give the protection you need when your chubby cheeks end up sliding on pavement. Full coverage over pants be they textile or leather are the only way to go. Just ask Mrs. Peel.

Always ask why.

mazer
Elite
Elite

#7 Unread post by mazer »

For a jacket, check out wwww.nelsonrides.com - I just bought a jacket from them.