Glove Dilemma! Any advice?

HailStorm101
Rookie
Rookie
Sex: Female
Years Riding: 1

Glove Dilemma! Any advice?

#1 Unread post by HailStorm101 »

Hey, so I'm new to the forum and not sure if this is the right place to post.... but I need some help with ladies gloves!

I recently purchased the Icon Twentyniner glove in black, size large. However, I have to return it for a size bigger since the finger length is not right... that is if I return it for the same glove!
The dilemma here is that I am looking for a glove that is really only around the wrist (not a full cuff), breathable, and yet protective. As well as comfortable. I have been doing a lot of around town riding, but will be getting into a bit of highway riding (still new and getting full license), however it is summer time!
From looking into my online options, I've found I have many, but I don't know where to go with it! Should I stick with this glove? or attempt to find a better suited one?

Some things about the twentyniner is that it's fairly basic in it's style. Padding in the palm is barely there, thin, breathable. I have noticed on the inside of the fingers, the stitch seems to take up a fair amount of room and irritate the tips of my fingers - that could be a size thing though!
The twentyniners:
Durable Nylon/Polyester construction
Abrasion resistant premium grade goatskin palm
Synthetic leather finger gussets
Hi-Flow backhand Mesh
Hook & loop backhand closure
Womens specific fit
Pre-curved palm and finger design

Don't get me wrong, it's a great glove! I just wanted to see if anyone else had an opinion or suggestion that could help me find a better glove suited to my needs! Thanks for looking....

Anyone care to offer up what's on their mind about this?

RocketGirl
Elite
Elite
Years Riding: 4
My Motorcycle: 2007 Yamaha Virago 250

Re: Glove Dilemma! Any advice?

#2 Unread post by RocketGirl »

One of the tips our instructor offered in our BRC on gloves was to get the kind that are pre-curved. Each glove I've owned (I'm now up to 5 pairs and this is my 3rd season of riding) has this characteristic. My favorite was the perforated leather (I wore those out). If a glove has knuckle protection that's great. For highway riding, I did notice that any stitching on the palms tends to irritate and tire my hands sooner. The more comfortable a glove is the less distracted I'll be on the road.

I have small hands, so I don't have a lot of wiggle room for glove comfort. I'm always trying gloves on whenever I go to a brick & motor store. I watch for sales and hint heavily to family and friends for gift cards.

Good luck on your search. Ride Safely!

sunshine229
Years Riding: 14
My Motorcycle: 2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Stone

#3 Unread post by sunshine229 »

Buying gloves can be sooooooooo frustrating... Sometimes they fit the length of your hand but then are too wide. There is no easy answer to choosing gloves, you just have to keep trying them on until you find one that works!

Have you tried Joe Rocket brand? They have tons of great styles and seem to fit well.

Summer gloves can be fab, just make sure to get a pair that has some good protection, just in case...

Andrea :)
Andrea :sun:

blues2cruise
Years Riding: 16
My Motorcycle: 2000 Yamaha V-Star 1100

#4 Unread post by blues2cruise »

I have to buy men's gloves for the extra finger length. Can you trade yours for a men's version?

Hondagirl
Legendary 500
Legendary 500
Years Riding: 0
My Motorcycle: 2008 Honda Motard XR400

#5 Unread post by Hondagirl »

I have winter mens and summer womens... and yes, the mens gloves do have longer fingers.
My womens gloves the finger length is too short but the width fits better.
Honda Motard XR400
Traded: Honda SL230 and Yamaha XJR400

HailStorm101
Rookie
Rookie
Years Riding: 1

#6 Unread post by HailStorm101 »

Hey, thanks everyone for the replies! I'll just have to keep looking... and yes I might contemplate a mens glove. It seems, at least with the gloves I'm looking at, my fingers are too long or way too short! Thanks again everyone! :D