mogster
Legendary 750
Legendary 750
Sex: Female
Years Riding: 14
My Motorcycle: Speed Triple 1050 se '09

Comfort Cooking

#1 Unread post by mogster »

Been feeling a bit down & tetchy for a few days, :( no real reason but just tired & still skint!

So partly to redeem myself & partly for nostalgic home comfort I thought I would do a big cook up today (Sun).

I often cook on a Sunday for the week ahead but tend to do it mainly in winter.

Anyway have made 2x large Shepherds Pies, (minced steak + equal soya mince; carrots; peas; onions; leek; topped with mashed potato + sliced tomatoes).

We have stuffed ourselves......yummy & there is enough left over for another 3 nights! X :hungry1:

So my question is what do you cook for comfort &/or nostalgia?

And before anyone goes all PC on me........yes guys you can cook/comment too! :lol:

:party:
MOG
:party:

The roar of her mighty TRIUMPH was heard throughout the land

Johnj
Site Supporter - Platinum
Sex: Male
Years Riding: 34
My Motorcycle: A Bolt of Lightning

Re: Comfort Cooking

#2 Unread post by Johnj »

I came over to my sister's to recover from my surgery. My brother-in -law Doug smoked up a bunch of chicken, ribs, and sausages and we had asparagus spears, squash and ranch beans and a fruit pie. That's the way to get over. :kicking:
People say I'm stupid and apathetic. I don't know what that means, and I don't care.
Always wear a helmet, eye protection, and protective clothing. Never ride under the influence of drugs or alcohol.

sunshine229
Years Riding: 14
My Motorcycle: 2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Stone

#3 Unread post by sunshine229 »

OMG I love shepherd's pie!!! Mike makes the meanest cottage pie, it's so delicious I can't even tell you.

I am a baker more than a chef so when I need comfort food I often bake. On Saturday I made the most yummiest brownies ever and served them up with a scoop of chocolate mint ice cream. Now that's a treat! ;)
Andrea :sun:

blues2cruise
Years Riding: 16
My Motorcycle: 2000 Yamaha V-Star 1100

#4 Unread post by blues2cruise »

Pancakes. AKA hotcakes or flapjacks...

When I am in "mood" after work and feeling unmotivated to do anything or feel bored.....I make pancakes. Hot out of the pan with butter melting on them and real maple syrup dripping over the edges.

I then can take left overs for lunch the next day.

sapaul
Legendary 2000
Legendary 2000
Years Riding: 90
My Motorcycle: 2011 R1200R 07 BMW GS, Kymco 250 little

#5 Unread post by sapaul »

We have a braai, barbecue to you.

it involves all the men hanging around the fire talking shyte, drinking beer and general pissing contests, while the women do the same while making salads and garlic bread.

They have to be the most un sociable thing you can ever do and because it takes hours to light the fire, get it to a perfect cooking temp and then only cook the food, chicken takes foreeevvveeerrr. Then everyone gets p1ssed coz everything took so long and someone usually ends up falling over or even falling in the fire. AND then the women start fighting coz this ones SO looked squiff at that ones arse and the kids were caught p1ssing in the Koi pond and the milk tart got squashed deliberately by some one who forgot to bring desert.

Then some git has to get his latest toy toy out, like a helicopter or an AK47 or something and start showing it off while we run for cover forgetting that the meat and chicken is burning on the fire, AND then some one gets out the latest coolest drink like Patron or orange flavor witsblits with naked girls on the label and you could run a turbo Gixxer on the stuff. So then people get really blotto and family members have to be called to take them home and we get shat on for letting them get in that state.

Needless to say, they never end well.

So what do we do, we schedule another one for month end so we can kiss and make up :roll:
I spent my therapy money an a K1200S
The therapy worked, I got a GS now
A touch of insanity crept back in the shape of an R1200R

totalmotorcycle
Administrator
Administrator
Years Riding: 32
My Motorcycle: 2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Stone

#6 Unread post by totalmotorcycle »

sunshine229 wrote:OMG I love shepherd's pie!!! Mike makes the meanest cottage pie, it's so delicious I can't even tell you.

I am a baker more than a chef so when I need comfort food I often bake. On Saturday I made the most yummiest brownies ever and served them up with a scoop of chocolate mint ice cream. Now that's a treat! ;)
Thanks!!!! :D

Yes, my cottage pie is pretty mean. But your banking is awesome!!! :hungry:

Mike
NEW 2024 Motorcycle Model Guides
2023 Motorcycle Model Guides

Total Motorcycle is official Media/Press for Aprilia, Benelli, Beta, Bimota, BMW, Brammo, Buell, Can-Am, CCW, Ducati, EBR, Harley-Davidson, Honda, Husqvarna, Husaberg, Hyosung, Indian, Kawasaki, KTM, KYMCO, LiveWire, Moto Guzzi, Moto Morini, MV Agusta, Norton, Phantom, Piaggio, Polaris, Ridley, Roehr, Royal Enfield, Suzuki, Triumph, Ural, Vespa, Victory, Yamaha and Zero.

sapaul
Legendary 2000
Legendary 2000
Years Riding: 90
My Motorcycle: 2011 R1200R 07 BMW GS, Kymco 250 little

#7 Unread post by sapaul »

totalmotorcycle wrote:
sunshine229 wrote:OMG I love shepherd's pie!!! Mike makes the meanest cottage pie, it's so delicious I can't even tell you.

Thanks!!!! :D

Yes, my cottage pie is pretty mean. But your banking is awesome!!! :hungry:

Mike
I know how you feel, my missus does all the banking too. :?
I spent my therapy money an a K1200S
The therapy worked, I got a GS now
A touch of insanity crept back in the shape of an R1200R

Loonette
Years Riding: 13
My Motorcycle: 2006/Kawasaki/Mean Streak/best bike ever

#8 Unread post by Loonette »

If I'm cooking, it's always going to be breakfast - and typically an omelette and pancakes. If I'm baking, any sort of quick bread (banana, sweet potato, zucchini). And everything has to be homemade - no freakin' boxed starters.

Cheers,
Loonette
FIRST RESPONDERS DO IT WITH LIGHTS AND SIRENS!! :smoke:
Find 'em hot, leave 'em wet...

2006 Mean Streak 1600

dr_bar
Site Supporter - Diamond
Site Supporter - Diamond
Years Riding: 44
My Motorcycle: 2007 Yamaha Royal Star Venture

#9 Unread post by dr_bar »

Comfort food, dang, that could be a long list. I come from an English and Polish/Ukraine background. Food choices as a child were pretty awesome, everything from steak and kidney pie to perogies and cabbage rolls. I love shepards pie, yorkshire pudding farmers sausage.... the list just goes on and on...

My go to comfort food isn't even out of my heritage, it's pasta, in just about any shape or form. Served plain with a bit of butter, slathered in sauce, or baked with an awesome selection of cheeses... Mmmm...
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Four wheels move the body.
Two wheels move the soul!"