mogster
Legendary 750
Legendary 750
Sex: Female
Years Riding: 14
My Motorcycle: Speed Triple 1050 se '09

Jewellery on Bikes?

#1 Unread post by mogster »

I like to wear rings + earrings when out & about. I can't wear any jewels at work (wouldn't want to anyway).

When on the bike I never wear jewellery!

This is for 2 main reasons......

Firstly I find it uncomfortable, rings hurt if gripping for a long time + earrings get tangled up when taking helmet off.

Secondly (& more importantly), I believe it's a serious safety issue. For example what's the point in wearing good gloves when a ring may (& can) cause you to lose a finger if your hand is hurt in an acccident?

Anyone else think like me or do you wear your "normal" jewellery regardless of on or off bike?
MOG
:party:

The roar of her mighty TRIUMPH was heard throughout the land

Hondagirl
Legendary 500
Legendary 500
Years Riding: 0
My Motorcycle: 2008 Honda Motard XR400

Re: Jewellery on Bikes?

#2 Unread post by Hondagirl »

I don't wear rings because, like you say, gloves make the fingers tight with rings and blood cut off -painful and not safe for gripping. BUT I do wear loop ear rings that are the kind that fasten really firmly. These are the only kind I find I can wear with helmet as they dont pop off like studs and they dont seem to get stuck if I take my helmet off in a certain way I have learned to do. They have never fallen off. Always the same gold loops. As for bracelets and watch, no because they also make sleeves tight and feel uncomfortable.
Honda Motard XR400
Traded: Honda SL230 and Yamaha XJR400

blues2cruise
Years Riding: 16
My Motorcycle: 2000 Yamaha V-Star 1100

#3 Unread post by blues2cruise »

I wear a necklace, but no earrings or finger rings. (except I had a finger ring on today). My ride today was short so I did not notice the ring.

I never wear earrings because they are just too uncomfortable under the helmet and the one time I did have earrings in (I forgot to take them out) I lost one when I took my helmet off. :(

I can wear my jewellery at work or other places. I don't need to for riding. (My bike is shiny enough to make up for no sparkles on me) :mrgreen:

Thumper
Legendary 500
Legendary 500
Years Riding: 9
My Motorcycle: '14 BMW F700GS

#4 Unread post by Thumper »

I wear a crucifix and a wedding ring...never thought about losing a finger because of the ring, though...

Bella108
Rookie
Rookie
My Motorcycle: Honda Magna

#5 Unread post by Bella108 »

Good question! I wondered the same thing.
I don't have much experience ( Unless you count all the dreams I have of riding in which case I have lots of miles under my belt haha :laughing: )
So far I have not had any pain from my ring I never take off, though my gloves don't quite fit right a little loose I really don't like them, but they work for now until I can get something better. I like the idea of the Scorpion Recon glove, but says it is for men.
I never wear earrings, but am fond of necklaces. So would love to hear more input on the jewelry safety stance as well :)

blues2cruise
Years Riding: 16
My Motorcycle: 2000 Yamaha V-Star 1100

#6 Unread post by blues2cruise »

Bella108 wrote: So far I have not had any pain from my ring I never take off, though my gloves don't quite fit right a little loose I really don't like them, but they work for now until I can get something better. I like the idea of the Scorpion Recon glove, but says it is for men.
I wear men's gloves because the women's gloves tend to be made for small people. If you have longer fingers and a bit wider hands the men's gloves will be fine. Go to your local dealer and try some on.

Bella108
Rookie
Rookie
My Motorcycle: Honda Magna

#7 Unread post by Bella108 »

I wear men's gloves because the women's gloves tend to be made for small people. If you have longer fingers and a bit wider hands the men's gloves will be fine. Go to your local dealer and try some on.[/quote]

I do have longer fingers thats for sure~ Longer or the same as some of the men I know. Sometimes people automatically assume I'm good at the piano ha~! Like You're tall (I'm not tall I'm about medium 5'5) you must be good at basketball etc. ha :) Will do! Thanks~!

Nalian
Site Supporter - Platinum
Site Supporter - Platinum
Years Riding: 5
My Motorcycle: 2011/BMW/F800R

#8 Unread post by Nalian »

I always wear my wedding ring and hadn't ever thought of taking it off. It's a simple titanium band, so it's pretty comfortable to wear.

Is that a common issue in accidents, losing fingers due to ring wearing?

storysunfolding
Sex: Male
Years Riding: 22
My Motorcycle: Vstrom 650, S1000RR, XS850, ZX6R

#9 Unread post by storysunfolding »

Wedding rings are the leading cause of finger degloving and amputation according to the American Society for Surgery of the hand. Typically it's when it gets caught on something (doorway, tree branch, car door) and the body weight pulls against it.

While I could see that happening in a Motorcycle accident, I don't see it as that common with a good pair of gloves. My track gloves have never failed in a get off and my second one was at ~120 mph- plenty of time to wear through.

However, take the ring off is cheap insurance. Having a comfort fit, or rounded edged ring is an equally good idea.
My Blog

Grasp life by the handlebars

Katharine
Regular
Regular
My Motorcycle: computer chair

#10 Unread post by Katharine »

Ow. I don't know exactly what degloving is but I can guess. Yikes.