Big Red Rider
Rookie
Rookie
Sex: Female
Years Riding: 0
My Motorcycle: 2005 Suzuki Boulevard M50

The Ladies' Lounge - REALLY?

#1 Unread post by Big Red Rider »

I am new here and have been looking around a bit. I also belong to a Honda Rebel forum that has a lady rider group. Funny thing about the Rebel Lady Rider's group - no MEN are allowed to post there. It certainly makes a difference in who participates and what we discuss. Maybe this group is dying out because there seems to be as many men posting here as women. Goodness gracious!
Current Bikes
2005 Red Suzuki Boulevard M50
2005 Grey Suzuki Boulevard S50
2007 Black Honda Rebel 250

Wrider
Site Supporter - Gold
Site Supporter - Gold
Sex: Male
Years Riding: 4
My Motorcycle: 2005 Kawasaki Z750S

Re: The Ladies' Lounge - REALLY?

#2 Unread post by Wrider »

Ya know, for your first foray into this forum you're coming off as awfully hostile. We're nothing like the average forum where all women get is pic requests. My suggestion is to read a bit of the threads and see that we actually tend to get along pretty well and aren't trying to become a sexist/elitist type of forum.

And for what it's worth; yes I'm a guy, no I don't care if you have pics or not. Well except for the bike. I like the M50s. :)
Have owned - 2001 Suzuki Volusia
Current bike - 2005 Kawasaki Z750S
MMI Graduation date January 9th, 2009. Factory Certifications in Suzuki and Yamaha

MmeMagpie
Elite
Elite
Years Riding: 12
My Motorcycle: 2004 Honda Shadow Aero VT750C

#3 Unread post by MmeMagpie »

I've only been here a few months, but I view the Ladies Lounge as a relic of the past. The general good manners and sense of camaraderie on this forum render that sort of segregation unnecessary. I like that I can just show up and play in the big sandbox with everyone, rather than feel like I have to go hide in some corner. It's a rare and wonderful thing to find a collection of decent people like this.
Ooooooh. Shiny!

mogster
Legendary 750
Legendary 750
Years Riding: 14
My Motorcycle: Speed Triple 1050 se '09

#4 Unread post by mogster »

If we banned male folk (or even someone of unknown gender) then we would be guilty of the same sexism that us sisters have complained about for years. :rant:

This reminds me of when I visited my late fathers' golf club as a child...............I was curious as to why there was a "special" ladies room (glorified changing room) when there was no "special" mens room :?

The answer - which offended my eight year old self -was that ladies could only enter the member's lounge in the company of a gentleman (who had to wear a jacket & tie).

So if I want to have the odd sweet sherry in the big clubroom it is only fair that the menfolk can pop in here for the odd cup of tea & slice of cake :coffeetime: :lol:
MOG
:party:

The roar of her mighty TRIUMPH was heard throughout the land

sapaul
Legendary 2000
Legendary 2000
Years Riding: 90
My Motorcycle: 2011 R1200R 07 BMW GS, Kymco 250 little

#5 Unread post by sapaul »

:group: Yes please Mogs

I love cake

As for the ladies lounge, we men see it as a privilege to post here and we mind our P's and Q's and seeing as it is full of biker chicks EK SE, I am sure we will get our bollocks kicked if we step out of line
I spent my therapy money an a K1200S
The therapy worked, I got a GS now
A touch of insanity crept back in the shape of an R1200R

BobK
Legendary
Legendary
Years Riding: 43
My Motorcycle: Harley-Davidson XR1200

#6 Unread post by BobK »

Cake ok but hold the tea.

This is where we hairy neanderthals come to get in touch with our feminine side.

sapaul, if you're really been riding for 90 years, I don't know where you get the energy to step out of line.

sapaul
Legendary 2000
Legendary 2000
Years Riding: 90
My Motorcycle: 2011 R1200R 07 BMW GS, Kymco 250 little

#7 Unread post by sapaul »

BobK wrote:Cake ok but hold the tea.

This is where we hairy neanderthals come to get in touch with our feminine side.

sapaul, if you're really been riding for 90 years, I don't know where you get the energy to step out of line.
One look from Sunshine and I am off like a whippet :lol:
I spent my therapy money an a K1200S
The therapy worked, I got a GS now
A touch of insanity crept back in the shape of an R1200R

mogster
Legendary 750
Legendary 750
Years Riding: 14
My Motorcycle: Speed Triple 1050 se '09

#8 Unread post by mogster »

Here is an elegant afternoon tea - all welcome.

I am sure we could find a sweet sherry for Bob as he doesn't want tea :D
Attachments
summer1.JPG
summer1.JPG (32.83 KiB) Viewed 15586 times
MOG
:party:

The roar of her mighty TRIUMPH was heard throughout the land

BobK
Legendary
Legendary
Years Riding: 43
My Motorcycle: Harley-Davidson XR1200

#9 Unread post by BobK »

Yes, a sherry would be lovely, thanks. Then the other gents and I will retire to the drawing room for cigars.

JackoftheGreen
Years Riding: 12
My Motorcycle: Versys 1000 LE "Gleep"

#10 Unread post by JackoftheGreen »

I think it's simply a matter of gender saturation in the two communities you've mentioned, Big Red. Here at Total Motorcycle, I have to imagine the gender split is either close to even, or slightly weighted on the male side. A forum for Honda Rebel owners though, the participant base has gotta be 90% women already... :::ducks to avoid flying debris:::

Just kidding. Seriously, this is a motorcycling forum. I can't actually be sure of this, but it's my assumption most men involved in our sport feel as I do about our co-eds -- eternally grateful for their participation. We're just so damned happy to have some women strapping on helmets and leather and riding with us, we're extra careful not to offend them or chase them off. The sort of badgering, pestering, and shameless fliration that doubtless goes on in a mountain biking or rock climbing or hiking or tattoo aficiando forum just isn't going to be as pervasive here. And it you do get that sorta treatment, Mike will ban that sonofabitch before you can say 'meat market'.

For what it's worth though -- with the exception of this exact post --, I've only ever posted to the Ladies Lounge to express my wife's opinion on a topic and always with her blessing. She just doesn't have the 'internet social' mindset, and so communicates through me.

And, with all that said, welcome to Total Motorcycle. I agree with Wrider, love to see some pics of that M50 whether you're in the frame or not. (-: