MaeBe43
Rookie
Rookie
Sex: Female
Years Riding: 1
My Motorcycle: 2002 Suzuki SV650s

Re: Why I ride

#11 Unread post by MaeBe43 »

The US probably has the most lenient drinking laws in the world. It is actually broken down from state to state here. The only federal law in place is the 21 years old to drink law. If a state chooses not to abide by that there's no federal funding for roads etc. So there are no states now that aren't 21. But for DUIs you must understand the difference in revenue from people who get caught drinking and driving compared to let's say an ax murderer. Here you don't need a pardon for multiple (more then one) DUIs. In fact the jails are so over crowded I know of 2 guys (at work) that went to court last year each guy having a total of at least 3 in one case and over 4 with the other. The guy with 3 also hit and ran a car. Because of the deadline put in place by Gov. Arnold which forced the State prison system to downsize 66,000 inmates last year (putting a small dent in the over crowding issue) these inmates were shoved into the county system to complete their sentences. This leaves nowhere to put DUI offenders since that's considered a low priority for jail time. These two guys (I serve them all the time I would guess their BAL on any given day is above .25) got no jail time. Just community service. And of course multiple offender school which is 18 months of classes costing about 3500.00 these days. No license till you complete the first year and possibly a restricted license after that. Usually if you have more then 2 this is where the state puts their foot down and chooses not to give you your license back. Good luck trying to function in California. Driving is a privilege, not a right. But all my preaching about these things at work is only viewed as a party pooper. Drinkers have amazingly high levels of "entitlement". I want to own a bar someday and I'm naming it the Entitlement Lounge. The old 80's song "Nobody Walks in LA"? Nobody walks in California. The state of Cal. (supposedly) is broke. I look at how much I spent at the DMV this last year with my vehicle buying and selling spree. Each time regardless of whether the vehicle is new or used, the DMV collects sales tax EVERYTIME a vehicle changes hands. :shooting: What a racket.

dr_bar
Site Supporter - Diamond
Site Supporter - Diamond
Sex: Male
Years Riding: 44
My Motorcycle: 2007 Yamaha Royal Star Venture

#12 Unread post by dr_bar »

The reason I ask about pardons, is that a pardon should clear your record and allow you to travel...
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Four wheels move the body.
Two wheels move the soul!"

MaeBe43
Rookie
Rookie

#13 Unread post by MaeBe43 »

I understand and as I explained here the State of California doesn't require you to be pardoned for DUIs. The only time a pardon is required, or issued (upon petitioning the Governor) is if you have a felony that you did prison time for. The Canadian side in my case considers 2 DUI's a felony. I would need the Canadian governments approval, or whatever it's called, to return to Canada. I'm actually much more interested in traveling to a few places I've never been, for example, China, Bali, maybe even Chili. I've been to Canada and Mexico many many times.

BRUMBEAR
Legendary 1000
Legendary 1000
Years Riding: 40
My Motorcycle: 2009 Buell 1125 CR

#14 Unread post by BRUMBEAR »

In NJ it's financial ruin that gets the offender and if you are a multiple offender you will go to jail for an extended period of time it's mandatory.I believe an offender is given 6 months loss of license automatically first offense $3k of surcharges over 3 years to the state the fine for the ticket ? Insurance premiums can triple for 5 years, Second offense 1 year loss higher fines 3rd offense 1 year county jail. If you get a lwayer you can do better but that costs a fortune as well. If you hurt someone your screwed. I would also like to see friggen texters get a worse penalty than they do they should match the dui laws. IMO more accidents occur do to texters than someone who has had 2 beer.
there aint nothin like it

MaeBe43
Rookie
Rookie

#15 Unread post by MaeBe43 »

Hi NJ! I agree 100% about f&*g CELL PHONES! :frusty: Probably my biggest pet peeve about Ca. in general. Here in the Bay area (San Jose & San Fran) 98% of the people here have one strapped to their head at all times. In the bar where I work I've started telling new customers when they come in and the first thing they do is start texting, "no cell phones allowed in here, we're here to socialize". The deer in the headlight look before they realize I'm kidding (sort of) is priceless. Another reason I like riding my bike! Other riders at least wave and as you know our hands are busy any time we're on the bike!
Thanks for sharing. Bet the weather there sucks big wank right now. Sorry :(

JackoftheGreen
Years Riding: 12
My Motorcycle: Versys 1000 LE "Gleep"

#16 Unread post by JackoftheGreen »

Sucks big wank!! LoL, does your momma know you talk like that? I love it!!

With you 100% on the texting thing. It irritates me to no end when I'm at a public restaurant and see a family -- dad, mom, couple'a'kids, and all four of them have their noses buried in their cell phones. Don't get me wrong, if you're by yourself and waiting for your number at the DMV, or chilling in the lobby at Discount Tire while the boys rotate your rubber, feel free to disappear into your phone. No harm, no foul. But out with people, in a social sort of environment? Give your thumbs a rest.

Johnj
Site Supporter - Platinum
Site Supporter - Platinum
Years Riding: 34
My Motorcycle: A Bolt of Lightning

#17 Unread post by Johnj »

I text my granddaughter, at the table, when I'm eating with them. :D
People say I'm stupid and apathetic. I don't know what that means, and I don't care.
Always wear a helmet, eye protection, and protective clothing. Never ride under the influence of drugs or alcohol.

sunshine229
Years Riding: 14
My Motorcycle: 2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Stone

#18 Unread post by sunshine229 »

MaeBe43 wrote:In the bar where I work I've started telling new customers when they come in and the first thing they do is start texting, "no cell phones allowed in here, we're here to socialize". The deer in the headlight look before they realize I'm kidding (sort of) is priceless.
LOL that's hilarious! Mike & I used to go into this quaint pub in London called the Nag's Head and they actually have a sign at the door that says "All mobiles must be switched off." And they WILL kick you out if you're caught with one on!!!

Seriously, what is the world coming to when people can't strike up a casual conversation at a pub or even at a bus stop. Does everyone have to get stuck into their phones and pay no attention to the real world going on around them? (Hearing myself say these things makes me feel real old!!!!!!)

As for texting and driving - absolutely it should be banned!!! It is not physically possible for people to text and drive at the same time. Have you seen someone walking down the street talking on their phone? They can't even walk in a straight line. They should be banned in cars, especially texting!!!

On a lighter note... thanks for sharing your stories Lisa, it's fantastic to have you on board. :mrgreen:
Andrea :sun:

MaeBe43
Rookie
Rookie

#19 Unread post by MaeBe43 »

Hi again,
I've now officially rode my SV650s! What a hoot! I also have a recent incident to share.
I was on the freeway Friday late for work as usual, in the number one lane (carpool which IS legal on a motorcycle as you probably know) I was doing about 80+ for a minute or two, but had to drop down to 70something because this lady in front of me is NOT setting the flow of traffic fast enough :whistling: so I get an opportunity to go around her which I do, and settle in at about 80 and then I see what looks like an XMas tree of lights behind me. When did CHP get that many lights in the front of their cars? I pull into the number two lane hoping for a slight second he wanted to get by me, but the xmas lights moved over too. :tomato: Sooooooo I pull off the freeway as does he. The first thing he asked me is "You didn't see me"? I said no and he said he'd been following me for AWHILE and pretty much explained to me my exact movements up to this point. I get my purse out of the saddle bags blah blah blah. I hand him my license, my insurance AND my learners permit and registration. He asks me if I know I'm not supposed to be on the freeway with a learners permit and I say yes, I know I'm not supposed to be on the freeway. I'm busted I said. I've taken the test twice and failed. He said you didn't take it on this did you? I said yes I did. Then he tells me about his bike license story, he shouldn't have passed but the lady didn't notice what he was doing wrong, something about putting his foot down right next to the clutch and she was all the way down at the end by the circle. He said he wasn't going to TOW MY BIKE, because that's a misdemeanor. :lecture: He said it would make the getting my license a pain in the "O Ring". They don't like it when you are LEARNING and already breaking the law I suppose. So he wrote me up for 80, but that was it. So I am going to stay off the freeway. (in the mornings) I'd really hate to bump into him again before I get my license.
Attachments
SV Smiles.jpg
SV Smiles.jpg (35.68 KiB) Viewed 13906 times

blues2cruise
Years Riding: 16
My Motorcycle: 2000 Yamaha V-Star 1100

#20 Unread post by blues2cruise »

Whoa..... you better behave yourself for a while. :P