LADIES-Do it yourself or get someone to do it for you?

blues2cruise
Sex: Female
Years Riding: 16
My Motorcycle: 2000 Yamaha V-Star 1100

Re: LADIES-Do it yourself or get someone to do it for you?

#21 Unread post by blues2cruise »

Wrider..she sounds as if she has an irrational fear.....if she is afraid, she should not even go to the shop.

Sometimes people need to be taken by the hand and learn baby steps....

Is she afraid when they are running or when they are turned off?

My Mom hates motorcycles. However....I got her to sit on mine for a picture for the Riding Game...I gave her the key to hold.

Maybe your friend needs to hold the key and have you gently guide her to just touch the tank.

Have you asked he why she is so terrified?

Wrider
Site Supporter - Gold
Site Supporter - Gold
Sex: Male
Years Riding: 4
My Motorcycle: 2005 Kawasaki Z750S

#22 Unread post by Wrider »

She's terrified because her husband has broken his leg twice in 25k miles on that bike.

She won't touch them if not absolutely necessary, and even then if it moves at all she jumps back.
Have owned - 2001 Suzuki Volusia
Current bike - 2005 Kawasaki Z750S
MMI Graduation date January 9th, 2009. Factory Certifications in Suzuki and Yamaha

blues2cruise
Years Riding: 16
My Motorcycle: 2000 Yamaha V-Star 1100

#23 Unread post by blues2cruise »

Motorcycles are definitely not for everyone that's for sure.

MmeMagpie
Elite
Elite
Years Riding: 12
My Motorcycle: 2004 Honda Shadow Aero VT750C

#24 Unread post by MmeMagpie »

I am not in the least bit mechanically inclined. I can do a few things on a car. Screwing something up won't necessarily get me killed. Screwing up the motorcycle could, so I leave that to the professionals.

I don't know anyone that scared of a bike. Yikes. Sounds like the husband could use a weekend at the MSF course.

I've met plenty of women who can't wrap their heads around riding because they think it's too dangerous. Then, there's the ladies who like to ride on the back and think that operating the motorcycle is too much to handle. I totally don't get that one.
Ooooooh. Shiny!

sunshine229
Years Riding: 14
My Motorcycle: 2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Stone

#25 Unread post by sunshine229 »

I can't say I do too much on my own, not because I don't want to but because I've never had the opportunity.

I have done my own oil changes and quite enjoy doing them, but Mike is always around the garage so he can help with little bits and pieces. I am still a bit afraid of reefing on the wrench too hard. As if the bike is going to fall over, right?!?

Also, I have bled my brakes but for anyone that has done that it is not really a one person job, so admittedly Mike and I do this together.

Oh and since my current bike doesn't have a center stand, even lubing the chain takes two people. :roll:

The only thing that Mike has done on his own to my bike (if I remember right) was the recent coolant change, and I think that was because the coolant reservoir was tucked way under the fairing and we didn't want to take off the plastic and it was just easier for him to rig it all up without a second pair of hands in the way.

Other than that I haven't had to do much else. But I agree with what a few of you said above, leave it to the professionals when it's something really important.

At least I can say that I am not afraid to try, and not afraid to get my hands dirty. GoJoe is your friend! :mrgreen:
Andrea :sun: