kawi301
Tricycle Squid
Tricycle Squid
Sex: Female
Years Riding: 0
My Motorcycle: 09 Kawasaki 250r

New Rider!

#1 Unread post by kawi301 »

Hey y'all ☺️ So I'm a new rider, I just got my first bike today! I'm super excited but I'm also really nervous. I was just wondering what helped everybody out when they first started learning, and how they dealt with being nervous. Anything would be helpful ☺️

Johnj
Site Supporter - Platinum
Site Supporter - Platinum
Sex: Male
Years Riding: 34
My Motorcycle: A Bolt of Lightning

Re: New Rider!

#2 Unread post by Johnj »

Hello April and welcome to the forum. Experience make the jitters go away. Now show off that bike with a picture.
People say I'm stupid and apathetic. I don't know what that means, and I don't care.
Always wear a helmet, eye protection, and protective clothing. Never ride under the influence of drugs or alcohol.

GS_in_CO
Legendary 300
Legendary 300
Sex: Male
Years Riding: 34
My Motorcycle: 1988 BMW R100GS

#3 Unread post by GS_in_CO »

Practice in parking lots, practice in very quiet residential streets, practice in very quiet 2 lane roads. Concentrated on learning the machine really well before venturing into traffic where I knew I needed more brainpower to deal with traffic instead of the machine.

Several evenings after getting it home I put it on the centerstand and practiced operating the controls with the engine off. Then on centerstand practiced throttle and shifting with it running. (that bike it was not going to touch the rear wheel down unless I did something really stupid) All this to burn in the muscle memory as to how to operate the controls.
Ron

Current: 1988 BMW R100GS (the 'numberplate' model)

Past: 1987 Yamaha XT350
1983 Honda CB900F
1980 Honda XL185S
1979 Suzuki GS425E

Lion_Lady
Years Riding: 20
My Motorcycle: 2013 BMW R1200R 90th Anniversary

#4 Unread post by Lion_Lady »

Take a beginners course, if you haven't yet. That will help tremendously with the new rider jitters and will set you up for success.
Courage in women is often mistaken for insanity - Alice Paul

PIBrider
Rookie
Rookie
Years Riding: 0
My Motorcycle: Honda Shadow 600

#5 Unread post by PIBrider »

I'm a new rider too! Took the MSF beginners course a couple of weeks ago, bought my bike last week and just got into traffic for the first time 3 days ago riding to work. It was very intimidating for me! By the time I got where I was going after that first ride I was shaking from how scared I was. I'm a dive in head first kinda person though, so I forced myself to face the fear and rode to lunch (all back roads) and then another short ride straight home.

That was all I could take for that first day and it took me an hour to work myself back up on the bike the next day. Once I did though, it was amazing! I rode about 50 miles that day and couldn't stop looking for excuses to get on my bike. I even ran out of gas and sat on the side of the road for a few minutes until I figured out what went wrong.

I guess what I would say to new riders like myself is: take the MSF course and go at your own pace, but don't let the fear hold you back. Facing traffic is hard so work your way up to it. Ride around in quiet areas and when you're ready to face traffic for the first time choose a short route that you know well and isn't too heavily traveled.

Good luck!

PIB