acutee
Rookie
Rookie
Sex: Male
Years Riding: 1
My Motorcycle: Triumph Bonneville

Harley Alternatives for New Female Rider

#1 Unread post by acutee »

I'm not a lady myself but I'm here for my partner doing a bit of research on what to get her as a first bike. She's driven my Harley but its a bit heavy for her. It's an Electra Glide Ultra Classic so you can imagine the trouble she had with it. It's heavy even for me at my size. She's not particularly a novice driver as she has driven bikes but she's never owned one and has spent most of the time driving on the back of my bike or a friends bike in the past. So, imagining that a lot of the Harley's are going to weigh-in a bit on the heavy side and the fact that my partner is quite petite, I wated a little help from the pros on what good alternatives there are out there that are a little more light-weight. Some of the ones I've been coming across when browsing the web are the Shadow Spirit 750 C2, the Star Motorcycles V Star & a couple of the Kawasaki models, would these be good choices do you think? Besides that, I'm also wondering where people shop for the cheap deals online in the US when they are after bikes? There's obviously the usual classifieds sites for used bikes and then the individual dealers for the specific brands but I was wondering if there's anywhere I might not have considered. All suggestions appreciated.

Thank you,
FMB

Last edited by acutee on Sun Oct 02, 2016 8:06 pm, edited 4 times in total.

CycleBlueBook
Rookie
Rookie
Years Riding: 30
My Motorcycle: 1994 Yamaha V-Max

Re: Harley Alternatives for New Female Rider

#2 Unread post by CycleBlueBook »

Hard to go wrong on a Shadow or sub-1100cc V-Star. Of course the ultimate test will be to get her on one and see how it fits, but either of those would suffice. When she still rode solo, my wife had a Kawasaki ZL600, which was perfect for her (however, she is 5'9" so a little outside of the 'usual' female ergonomics.)

Johnj
Site Supporter - Platinum
Site Supporter - Platinum
Years Riding: 34
My Motorcycle: A Bolt of Lightning

#3 Unread post by Johnj »

Did you look at the Harley Street 750?
People say I'm stupid and apathetic. I don't know what that means, and I don't care.
Always wear a helmet, eye protection, and protective clothing. Never ride under the influence of drugs or alcohol.

acutee
Rookie
Rookie
Years Riding: 1
My Motorcycle: Triumph Bonneville

#4 Unread post by acutee »

CycleBlueBook wrote:Hard to go wrong on a Shadow or sub-1100cc V-Star. Of course the ultimate test will be to get her on one and see how it fits, but either of those would suffice. When she still rode solo, my wife had a Kawasaki ZL600, which was perfect for her (however, she is 5'9" so a little outside of the 'usual' female ergonomics.)
Johnj wrote:Did you look at the Harley Street 750?
Thanks guys, I'll check those out. Not sure if we did check the Street 750 so i'll have a look and see.

Thanks Again,

KMB

Hanson
Legendary 300
Legendary 300
Years Riding: 3
My Motorcycle: 2014 Suzuki V-Strom 650

#5 Unread post by Hanson »

I am not a cruiser aficionado, nor an expert, but the Indian Scout might also be an option.

Safe Travels,
Richard
ImageImage