My ex got me into bikes and now I'm lost?

cburns38
Tricycle Squid
Tricycle Squid
Sex: Female
Years Riding: 1
My Motorcycle: searching, previously Honda Nighthawk250

My ex got me into bikes and now I'm lost?

#1 Unread post by cburns38 »

Hello all,

I'm new here and in fact, I made my account on impulse because I am feeling extremely lost right now. My ex-boyfriend of two years was the one who first got me interested in motorcycles and taught me how to ride, and the bike I rode while we were together was one I fixed up with him, a Honda Nighthawk cb250. We broke up a little over a month ago and I gave the bike back to him because it didn't feel right to keep it, so now I'm totally on my own. I don't have any female motorcyclist friends who live in my area (Northeast Kansas), and now I don't have a bike. None of my family rides and they're concerned for my safety (even if they don't say it), so even though they tell me they're supportive, I can't really go to them to talk about motorcycles as much.

I guess I'm just wondering if anyone here has had similar issues and how they found their way forward? Almost every day, I look at the motorcycles for sale on Facebook Marketplace and then I wonder if I'm out of my depth. I love riding, but I lack a lot of knowledge about motorcycles and I feel like all of my confidence is gone now that the guy who got me into it in the first place is out of the picture. I definitely don't want to feel like he was the only thing that allowed me to do it, but it's hard to get back in the saddle without any support. Any thoughts or advice?

Thank you all, I'm so happy I found this place!

-Chloe

Rubiadiabla
Veteran
Veteran
Years Riding: 25
My Motorcycle: 2014 CTX 1300,2012 Ninja 650

Re: My ex got me into bikes and now I'm lost?

#2 Unread post by Rubiadiabla »

Hiya Chloe, my apologies that it has taken days to get a reply to you. A first rule of thumb in dating motorcycle enthusiasts is that you have to have at least one to call an ex, so you're starting out just like the rest of us ;) Don't look back, what doesn't kill you makes you stronger right? Every rider, (men or woman) has a purpose for why they ride, whether it's letting your hair down and getting some wind therapy to getting alone with only your thoughts in your helmet, to fulfill a need for speed a cage just can't provide or some friendly competition on two wheels with friends... I feel like whatever your reason be, it's more than just an ex's hobby. If you're perusing marketplace your subconscious is looking to fulfill a need from within. My advice?? Indulge, get a bike that reminds you of the nostalgia you're looking for, or get something completely different than the nighthawk, go with your gut. Stay within the cc range you are used to so you don't get into any power you can't handle but pick you a bike that's a bit newer and shinier than the old Nighthawk just because you can. If you ever happen to run into your ex at a stop light on main street on a Saturday night, your bike has gotta look better. ;) I'm awful I know. Get on facebook and look for a couple different local riding groups, join and follow the local community and get to know the different types of active groups and see which one is for you. There's bound to be a group of gals who would love to take some rides with you and teach you what they've learned along the way. Caution, there's never a shortage of male volunteers to ride with a new lady rider so be up front when you are soliciting riding buddies/group rides to participate. Let them know you're not looking for a date, you want local safe responsible riding companions, no shenanigans and only ride in small groups until you get to know everyone. I'd also recommend signing up for a local learn to ride course, whether you would be more comfortable in the beginner/advanced class you are bound to meet other riders at your same skill level. Older couples are a good choice of people to take rides with because they are more laid back and responsible. Good luck and please stay in touch, we wanna see pics of your new ride and keep us updated on your progress.
'Well behaved women seldom make history.' -Laurel Thatcher Ulrich

Kal
Site Supporter - Gold
Site Supporter - Gold
Years Riding: 14
My Motorcycle: 1998 Kawasaki GPZ500S

#3 Unread post by Kal »

Rubiadiabla is right on the money, especially about getting some classes if your confidence is not all there. I did some extra when I had a loss of confidence some years ago. Made a huge difference to my riding.

The one thing I will add to the above is you don't need anyones permission but your own. Welcome Chloe.
Kal...
Relationship Squid...

GPZ500S, CB250N, GB250Clubman

Rubiadiabla
Veteran
Veteran
Years Riding: 25
My Motorcycle: 2014 CTX 1300,2012 Ninja 650

#4 Unread post by Rubiadiabla »

Right on Kal, that's excellent advice :)
'Well behaved women seldom make history.' -Laurel Thatcher Ulrich

Miona88
Tricycle Squid
Tricycle Squid
Years Riding: 3
My Motorcycle: 2000/kia/kia

#5 Unread post by Miona88 »

Good evening, how are your friends? I have always really wanted to meet a foreigner and start a happy life with him which helped me become very happy and finally meet an interesting person with whom we ended up getting married!

Miles_Ha11
Veteran
Veteran
Sex: Male
Years Riding: 3
My Motorcycle: 2016 Ducati Supersport

#6 Unread post by Miles_Ha11 »

I feel like you should not rush things up just because you feel lonely.

KayBur
Rookie
Rookie
Sex: Male
Years Riding: 2
My Motorcycle: JAWA 350 OHC Prima

#7 Unread post by KayBur »

Hey! It seems to me that if you want to ride a bike - do not deny yourself this. In any city there are workshops where you will be helped with maintenance. This is not the biggest problem that can be.