LADIES - Do Women...

Ladymx
Site Supporter - Platinum
Sex: Male

LADIES - Do Women...

#1 Unread post by Ladymx »

Do women have the same attidute about riding as men do?

Rebeccaatthewell
Veteran
Veteran

#2 Unread post by Rebeccaatthewell »

I don't think I do. But I can't speak for men. I started riding because I fell in love with a specific bike (an older Suzuki Intruder 800) and had no clue how hard it would be to learn to ride. ( I got the bike before I even took the MSF course, even though I didn't ride it until I passed :) ) I even thought about giving it up during the first 6 months or so, because I was so terrified every time I got on it. (Breaking and shifting gears was a very difficult thing for me to learn.) But after haveing to wait 2 months to ride again because my tank had a fuel leak, I am sooooo ready to ride again. I see all the bikers on their way to and from Daytona Bike Week and I think HEY, I want to be able to wave. sigh. It has gained me a little respect from my peers who think it is cool and it has made a few other teachers look down their noses at me, because you all know that only "certian" types of women ride bikes!!! But the coolest thing to me is that little hand wave to and from any biker you meet on the road, and I am reminded that I am now part of a brotherhood (there arn't many female bikers around here :) ) connected by an appreciation and love of something that most of the world will never know.

Becca (Sorry so long)
The only time when evil can triamph, is when good men do nothing!

chickenhawk
Veteran
Veteran

#3 Unread post by chickenhawk »

Gosh, I never asked the men why they ride.

Digginit
Regular
Regular

#4 Unread post by Digginit »

I don't guess I know what men's attitudes about riding are.....or if men's attitudes about riding are the same. Do you mean the way we feel or think about riding? The question is hard for me to answer because I don't really understand what you mean....

linz
Some days it's just not worth gnawing through the straps

vulcanman500
Veteran
Veteran

#5 Unread post by vulcanman500 »

In a way riding is an extension of me. I am a loner. I make friends well enough, but I do my best when others are NOT a factor. I started riding to save gas. Plus i needed something fun to do cause i was really bored. :laughing: I like the speed and thrill of taking corners. Unfortuanately i drive an 88 suburban so i couldn't really take highspeed turns if ya know hwat i mean. and the dad's caddy has its limits too. I ride because i wanted to. It looked liked fun. And proved itself true. 8)
'94 Vulcan EN500 ....awesome first bike!
'87 CBR-F 600 Hurricane.... nice!
On judgement day we will give an account for our lives. what will we say? I know one thing...JESUS IS THE WAY!!!

BMWBikerchik4
Rookie
Rookie

#6 Unread post by BMWBikerchik4 »

Theres absolutely nothing like the feeling of the open road...i love riding for the freedom. Although i think the answer to your question depends on what group of men you mean. Im 20 and the guys around my hometown who ride all pretty much ride to show off i think, i dont know if many of them are even licensed. They're always doing wheelies and riding in huge packs down the road, which pisses a lot of drivers off, including me because they're not helping my image either. But I would say my attitude about riding is basically the same as my dads, which would make sense since ive been riding with him since i was 7 :)

Lion_Lady
Sex: Female
Years Riding: 20
My Motorcycle: 2013 BMW R1200R 90th Anniversary

#7 Unread post by Lion_Lady »

Y'know I just realized that riding my motorcyle has eliminated some of my own limitations.

I'm not athletic or anything, no size 4. But that I can handle a motorcycle with authority and some grace has drawn admiration that I don't have riding around town in my Saturn VUE.

Taking the ERC a couple weekends ago... one of the instructors got so caught up in watching me ride one of the weave excercises that he forgot to give me a pre-arranged hand signal for the 2nd part.

I've always been 'pretty good' at a lot of things. I've gotten very good at riding. As a woman over 40, I'm very proud of that.

For me, riding well has become an accomplishment. A skill learned for the sake of gaining freedom and joy.

P
Courage in women is often mistaken for insanity - Alice Paul

honda599
Elite
Elite

#8 Unread post by honda599 »

Men or a Women

I truly believe we all ride for the same reason...passion for the sport, freedom, handling, pure power that often can only be attained in a very expensive sports car and obtaining a skill that most people don't have..... while mastering a sport that many just dream about.....

Sev
Site Supporter - Gold
Site Supporter - Gold

#9 Unread post by Sev »

Not to butt my male opinion in where it isn't wanted, but it seems that men are more willing to, LoL, "manhandle" the bike. We will force the bike to do what we want, pushing it a lot harder, and forcing it through turns.

Watching the ladies from my Aunt's and Uncle's club they are more likely to let the bike do it's thing. It isn't a more relaxed attitude, it's more of a willingness to work WITH the bike, instead of forcing the bike to conform to the riders wishes.

I know I've always manhandlesed mine...
Of course I'm generalizing from a single example here, but everyone does that. At least I do.

[url=http://sirac-sev.blogspot.com/][img]http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a227/Sevulturus/sig.jpg[/img][/url]

Ladymx

#10 Unread post by Ladymx »

Sevulturus wrote:Not to butt my male opinion in where it isn't wanted, but it seems that men are more willing to, LoL, "manhandle" the bike. We will force the bike to do what we want, pushing it a lot harder, and forcing it through turns.

Watching the ladies from my Aunt's and Uncle's club they are more likely to let the bike do it's thing. It isn't a more relaxed attitude, it's more of a willingness to work WITH the bike, instead of forcing the bike to conform to the riders wishes.

I know I've always manhandlesed mine...
Your view is welcome here and I can even comment on it. I have man handles my bikes, but I do notice that with a weaker upper body, that Im not able to do so for along time. With my knee still not so good, Im finding new ways to handle the bike, but still find I cant man handle it all that well to the left. In general, I think most would just like to take the easy ride.