How does riding make you feel?

Ladymx
Site Supporter - Platinum
Sex: Male

How does riding make you feel?

#1 Unread post by Ladymx »

As a lady rider, how does it make you feel to get on the bike and go for a ride?

sunshine229
Sex: Female
Years Riding: 14
My Motorcycle: 2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Stone

#2 Unread post by sunshine229 »

Hmmmm I remember adding this topic before....... LOL :wink:

When I am on my bike, I feel pretty darn cool. However, I am such a safe rider (wearing a yellow jacket and all!) that I think I must look dorky. I don't care, it's still cool that I'm a female and I ride a bike!

It's funny how people react when I tell them I am a rider. Most people look at me in disbelief and then chuckle because they don't know what to say! It's actually quite comical.

Andrea :)
Andrea :sun:

Loonette
Years Riding: 13
My Motorcycle: 2006/Kawasaki/Mean Streak/best bike ever

#3 Unread post by Loonette »

It is comical. You can sometimes see (in both men and women) that they're on the verge of blurting, but you're a girl! My favorite is when my kids' little friends find out that both Scan and I ride. When they think of Scan, they just say, cool. But when they find out I ride as well, their eyes get big, they smile (even giggle a bit), and then they ask me all kinds of questions - especially the girls.

Also, when men (riders and non-riders alike) find out that I'm rider, they always want to know what size bike I'm on. They will sometime take a guess before I answer - usually they guess 500 cc. When I tell them I'm on a 1600, they don't quite know how to react. One guy (a customer at my job) actually said, are you sure about that? I didn't even feel the need to continue the discussion with him. I literally just kept quiet (which is incredibly difficult for me, but I was at work afterall).

Anyway, it feels great to belong to a group who is (perhaps inadvertently) knocking down yet another gender barrier. Ride on, mamas!!

Cheers,
Loonette
FIRST RESPONDERS DO IT WITH LIGHTS AND SIRENS!! :smoke:
Find 'em hot, leave 'em wet...

2006 Mean Streak 1600

Loonette
Years Riding: 13
My Motorcycle: 2006/Kawasaki/Mean Streak/best bike ever

#4 Unread post by Loonette »

Doh!! I didn't even address the original question really...

When I ride, the most prevelant feeling is that of freedom. And sometimes I almost feel like a little kid again. When I'm alone and in my own head, I end up doing a lot of thinking - it's very theraputic. The money I invest in biking is far more valuable than that which I may have used for a therapist. And I'm being quite serious. While I would never go away "angry" on my bike (too dangerous), I know that if I leave the house in a foul mood, or if I leave while I'm upset with Scan or the kids, the ride takes it all away. And not because I'm escaping, but because I'm with my thoughts by myself.

Riding also brings on a feeling of "bad-"O Ring""ness. I like things that are mechnanical, that require some sort of physical control, and that have been more traditionally for men. I'm more drawn to those things.

Cheers,
Loonette
FIRST RESPONDERS DO IT WITH LIGHTS AND SIRENS!! :smoke:
Find 'em hot, leave 'em wet...

2006 Mean Streak 1600

sunshine229
Years Riding: 14
My Motorcycle: 2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Stone

#5 Unread post by sunshine229 »

Loonette, you truly crack me up! I couldn't stop laughing after reading your story about the 1600 and that stupid man that would actually say "are you sure about that?"

:lol:
Andrea :sun:

Rebeccaatthewell
Veteran
Veteran

#6 Unread post by Rebeccaatthewell »

That is funny Loonette. I ride an 800 and I teach Elementary School, so I get my share of odd looks from both parents and teachers alike. I would like to note however, that the kids LOVE it and line up to watch me when I leave early. The toughest part is that my mom HATES that I ride a bike. She is so afraid that I will get hurt or killed. Considering the odds, (which I do not tell her :) she might be right, but I am a very causious rider and never take the bike or the other people on the road for granted.

Becca
The only time when evil can triamph, is when good men do nothing!

Ladymx

#7 Unread post by Ladymx »

sunshine229 wrote:Hmmmm I remember adding this topic before....... LOL :wink:
Andrea :)
Well I just had to get it in there for you.

:wink:

Riding gives me the freedom I dont feel doing much else. It also is great for stress relief after a not so good day. Not much better then getting on a bike and just going. Ahhhh ya.......day dream..... :motorcycle: :littlebike4: :littlebike1: ...........What was I talking about? :confused:

barmy_carmy
Legendary
Legendary

#8 Unread post by barmy_carmy »

In one word.....Orgasmic! :laughing:
I'm not riding fast...........Just flying low!

Sarek
Regular
Regular

#9 Unread post by Sarek »

I've been shy for ever. I must have sat here for 10 minutes trying to post my first message. I thought this is a cool topic and wanted to add my 2 cents.
When I ride, I don't feel shy at all. I feel like this is what I was born to do and it's just such a natural feeling. My brother saw me ride for the first time last summer. He was on another bike and we rode taking turns being in front. He said he'd never seen me look so confident.
I don't think I would use the word "confident". I think confidence leads to overconfident and then less careful. I don't ever want to be less careful.

barmy_carmy
Legendary
Legendary

#10 Unread post by barmy_carmy »

Hi Sarek, Welcome....I'm fairly newish here too. Me I just dived in the deep end. I'll talk to anyone me, even though i do waffle sometimes. And yes I do tend to live up to my name Lol! :laughing:
I'm not riding fast...........Just flying low!