Experience at dealerships/garages

StradBiker
Rookie
Rookie
Sex: Male

Experience at dealerships/garages

#1 Unread post by StradBiker »

I was just wondering what kind of experiences y'all have had when you walk into a bike shop or have to take your bike to be serviced. Do you get worse or better treatment because you are a woman? I know what it's like to try to get a car serviced, but I'm wondering if it's different being a woman on a bike. Do you get more respect from the guys? Any suggestions for a new bike owner?

Lion_Lady
Sex: Female
Years Riding: 20
My Motorcycle: 2013 BMW R1200R 90th Anniversary

#2 Unread post by Lion_Lady »

Generally it is the same as for going to a car service place... though some are different, they are few and far between.

Fortunately, I've got an excellent dealer that knows me and my bike and doesn't treat me like an idiot. I liked the business enough that I asked to work for them, and did in the apparel dept for just under a year.

P
Last edited by Lion_Lady on Mon Sep 26, 2005 12:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Courage in women is often mistaken for insanity - Alice Paul

blues2cruise
Sex: Female
Years Riding: 16
My Motorcycle: 2000 Yamaha V-Star 1100

#3 Unread post by blues2cruise »

Many bike shops I went to either ignored me or treated me like an alien. Now I go to one particular place because they treat me with respect like any other cash paying customer.

rnr262
Elite
Elite

#4 Unread post by rnr262 »

The reason I bought a V Star over a Sportster is that I couldn't find anyone to take my money at the HD store. Had cash in hand, and two salesman both said they'd be right back. Was there over an hour. Went to Yamaha where they answered all my questions, threw in a year of free service, and were happy to work a deal.

I don't have any problems with Honda either. Next time, I'll try a different harley dealer as the husband still wants his HD.
01 Vulcan 750
05 Rebel

Ladymx
Site Supporter - Platinum
Site Supporter - Platinum

#5 Unread post by Ladymx »

I have had so many bad experiences with shops in the service area that Id rather do as much of the work on the bike myself before even thinking of going. Even in that it can be a problem, I have taken my rear tire in to get a new tire put on and when I got the tire back and home to put it on realized it wasnt my original rim. Now have $300+ in repairs to do to a rim that isnt even mine.
As for going in to the shop and looking around, it is hard pressed to get any help unless you spend the time looking for some one to help you, even then, the conversation that they are having with other staff members about there weekend activities is more important then the customer.
Of course some places are better then others, but I can really say by all that much.

QuietMonkey
Legendary 750
Legendary 750

#6 Unread post by QuietMonkey »

Yep, having worked in dealerships, bought plenty of goodies, as well as had service work done over the years has at times been frustrating. It's getting better, but there is lots of machismo out there, ingrained in certain peoples minds. Long-term employees and bosses in the bike industry. I think Europe is more bike-friendly to women than North America, from what i can gauge.

Most of the "inside" stories do not faze me any longer having been on both sides. So many silly things happen, and there is often infighting and poor attitudes among certain staff members everywhere that it definitely takes the fun out of things. In my eyes it all comes down to poor management/owners.

The industry has not grown up in many ways, but I have seen that in many other industries as well. The shops often seem to reflect the weaknesses of our culture. You need a real good sense of humor to work with some situations. I always try to make it as easy as possible for the dealer to do the job correctly. It's sort of like riding, if you expect the drivers around you to do the silliest thing, then you can prepare so that IF they do you are ready for it, and can successfully navigate your way to your "purpose." i guess this becomes easier with each days experience.

A group of like minded enthusiasts with a little luck on their side and the resources and customer service skills could do very well in our city, even up against the giants. There is one fairly new dealership in town that has excelled against others, maybe even two, come to think of it. The big boys seem to have too much attitude and they always shoot themselves in the foot. Customers do shop for low prices though, and that is what can make it really tough to compete against them, in the short term. A new shop would have to be resilient enough for five years to break into the market. That requires a really intelligent business plan, operations, marketing, staff, sacrifices and cha-ching, money $$$.

Back to the real world :-)
Chels wrote:... Now have $300+ in repairs to do to a rim that isnt even mine.
Call the Better Business Bureau, they can arbitrate a claim for you and help you get some satisfaction there. If you wanna let me know a little more about this, I may be able to help too. Seems better than spending $300 for something was the there mistake originally, doesnt it?

//monkey
"Zounds! Zorched by Zarches, Spaceman Spiff's crippled craft crashes on planet Plootarg!"

For Sale: Ninja 600 with parts bike, needs minor work, $30, no title... (GEE THAT DOESNT RING ANY WARNING BELLS DOES IT?)

Wizzard
Legendary 1000
Legendary 1000

#7 Unread post by Wizzard »

I can honestly say that the local Yamaha Stealership has treated my spousette with nothing but respect altho we both bought Suzukis from them we have ended up forging some unique friendships with the entire staff .
Too bad you all don't live in our neck of the woods .
And too bad you have been exposed to that kind of hypocrisy .
Regards, Wizzard
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, throughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming --- ' WOW, WHAT A RIDE!!!! ' " - Author Unknown

StradBiker
Rookie
Rookie

#8 Unread post by StradBiker »

An update. I called the place where I bought my bike to schedule the 8000 mile service. First, the guy says, "let me see if we have a tech in that day." WHAT???? Then I tell him that I want to replace my throttle cables, and he says, "what makes you think you need to replace your throttle cables?" I should have just hung up the phone right then and there. Anyway, I'll go, but I'm still going to shop around. Seems to me, if a place advertises that they have service Mon-Sat, and I make an appointment for Monday, they should darn well know whether or not a tech is available to work on my bike. And if I want to replace something on my bike, they should be happy enough to take my money. Oh yeah, I forgot, he said that if I brought the bike in on Monday, they should have the cables by Thursday. So I ask if I could order the cables ahead of time, and he says, "yeah, but you'll have to put a deposit on them." OK, and the problem with that is???? So when I talk to the parts department, they order the cables and didn't require a deposit. Maybe I'll see the manager while I"m there.... :frusty: :frusty:

archanis
Veteran
Veteran

#9 Unread post by archanis »

not female, not a biker (yet) but i have seen some of what your talking about.

my older sister went in to get her bike fixed at a local shop (when i say local, i mean 125 miles in the wrong direction. its not cheap at all) only to have the manager say that they could not repair her bike, and they didnt have the right tools. (my @$$! its a BIKE REPAIR SHOP!). low and behold, we sit in the parking lot waiting for them to change their mind, and a guy with the same damned bike in the back of his pickup with far more severe problema (his bike was scratched up and had a blown front tire, where my sisters bike just needed new tires) and they help him right away, smile, handshake, strait to the garrage. we eventualy got around this problem by having ME go in, claim my sisters bike, and show the cash... but women shouldnt HAVE to do such things in order to get the same amound of service.

good thing for my sister though, she found a good shop that treats her with due respect. took a long time to find it though, and its on the back end of anchorage.
faster than a quadriplegic racehorse!

flynrider
Legendary 2000
Legendary 2000
Years Riding: 30
My Motorcycle: '93 Honda Nighthawk 750

#10 Unread post by flynrider »

StradBiker wrote:... Then I tell him that I want to replace my throttle cables, and he says, "what makes you think you need to replace your throttle cables?" I should have just hung up the phone right then and there.
To be fair, this is not an unusual question for a mechanic to ask an owner. If I were going to work on your bike, I might also want to know why you want your throttle cables replaced. If you're experiencing a problem, it might be something besides the cables (carbs, linkage, ...). A good mechanic is going to at least want to make sure your diagnosis will fix the problem.
Bikin' John
'93 Honda CB750 Nighthawk