family riding

archanis
Veteran
Veteran
Sex: Male

family riding

#1 Unread post by archanis »

this may seem a bit off topic, im not a woman, or a rider (yet) but i have some questions that you ladies might be able to help with.

i want to get a bike, but more so, i want to get a bike at the same time as my mom. shes a small gal, about 4'9 - 4'11 (i cant remember :frusty: ) and she weghs about 100 -120 (its dangerous asking her weight.) im 18, and my mom is just capping 40, but she always said she wanted to ride, and i thought 'why not get into this frying pan together?'.

i was thinking of supprising her by taking her up to anchorage for a weekend msf rider course next spring, and then we could get our bikes together around the same time. i can pay for mine, and i think she has the right funds for a bike her size.

the problem is, should i supprise her with the course, and plan it with her friends? or should we schedule this? every time i try to supprise her, it seems to turn out well, but this is not some little thing. this is userping her time and popping her into something she may not be ready for. i dont know, any suggestions?
faster than a quadriplegic racehorse!

StradBiker
Rookie
Rookie

#2 Unread post by StradBiker »

What a great son you are! I would say, go for the MSF course as a surprise, but wait with the bikes until after that. It will be fun for the two of you to take the class together, THEN she can decide if she wants to spend the money on a bike. At my MSF course, we were provided with small (under 250cc) bikes for training, so she will be able to at least sit on several different bikes to see what fits her. Then, if she wants to get a bike, she may already know what she wants to buy. Go for it!!!

archanis
Veteran
Veteran

#3 Unread post by archanis »

the only problem im going to have is scheduling it. she has free time, but she doesnt like that inturupted. i know her boss, and im thinking of having him help me send her on a 'buisness trip' for a weekend. when she sees the ride, its all going to become a bit transparent with me sitting there at the wheel of the car, grinning like a loon, but it will still be a supprise when we get there.

also, bikes dont seem to be very friendly toward shortish women! its going to have to be something realy small like 200-250cc's for her, while my ride is going to be anywhere from 500- 600cc's. im glad thats what they supply at the course, so she can get a taste of what shes going to buy, but will she be able to keep up when were on the road? just some thoughts for the future. i talked to some of her friends today, and they said they would help, but they seem a bit apprehensive about the idea. its now gone from 'is it possible' to 'should i do it'.

thanks for the input strad! that helps loads.

StradBiker
Rookie
Rookie

#4 Unread post by StradBiker »

Just to let you know, I'm 5'3", 140 lbs, and I ride a Honda Shadow VLX, which is a 600cc bike, and I can put both feet flat on the ground. Honda cruisers have some of the lowest seats around - I think mine is a bit over 25 inches. If they have Rebels at the MSF class, I think your mom would do fine on that bike for the class. I've heard that Rebels can do hiway riding, but I'm glad I got the Shadow because it's heavier and doesn't get blown around as much. (300 lbs for the Rebel vs. 450 for the Shadow) Just be sure that your mom feels comfortable with whatever she buys. She can always start small, and trade up too.

Good luck, and have fun!

archanis
Veteran
Veteran

#5 Unread post by archanis »

i actualy asked her weight and hight a few minutes ago. shes 5'8 and weighs around 120. she gave me the wierdest look when i asked. :laughing: she asked why i would want that information and gave me the eyebrow. i could only answer that it was for a pet project :roll: shes not stupid, im sure shell figure it out...

so the bikes you described would probably work! she seems the type to get a cruizer anyway. i thought she was going to be limited by her size, but im glad i was wrong to a degree.

im wondering how i got her hight so WRONG though... im about 6 foot, so she seems kinda short to me. goes to show my esetimation skills i guess.

Loonette
Site Supporter - Platinum
Site Supporter - Platinum
Sex: Female
Years Riding: 13
My Motorcycle: 2006/Kawasaki/Mean Streak/best bike ever

#6 Unread post by Loonette »

At 5'8", her choices are virtually endless. But picking out a bike is something she'll need to do on her own anyway - eventually, after a lot of browsing and such, she'll find just the right ride for herself. For the class... if you want to totally surprise her up until the very end, you'll have to firgure out how to get her gear together for the actual class. She'll need gloves (with full fingers), over-the-ankle, sturdy shoes (MSF will insist on the "over-the-ankle" part), a shirt or jacket with long sleeves, and a helmet (they insist on a DOT-approved helmet). Oh, and protective eye wear. So that part of the surprise might get a bit difficult. Still, she's probably going to love that you're taking the initiative in this venture.

Cheers,
Loonette
FIRST RESPONDERS DO IT WITH LIGHTS AND SIRENS!! :smoke:
Find 'em hot, leave 'em wet...

2006 Mean Streak 1600

archanis
Veteran
Veteran

#7 Unread post by archanis »

i hadnt thought about the gloves part, but she wears over the ankle hiking boots anyway. sturdy things they are, she buys a new pair every year only because the tread wears out. the helmet i have already. it fits her well, but not me. ill have to get my own. but your right. the gloves will be a problem. she has some winter gloves and gardening gloves that fit her, so i might just take those in and have them sized a local taylor. i have a few friends that would help out there. other than that, the jacket is easy enough, and she always wears good cut jeans. never did like bell bottoms from what i understand.

thanks for the suggestion though. that will go a long way to help.