Ladies Riding Gear

Loonette
Site Supporter - Platinum
Sex: Female
Years Riding: 13
My Motorcycle: 2006/Kawasaki/Mean Streak/best bike ever

#11 Unread post by Loonette »

Miss_C667 wrote:My problem with bike kit is all proportions. I'm 5"2' and a size 14/ 16. I ended up with Mens trousers, (as the Womens were too slim fitting) so of course the legs are too long.
Same here! And because I've "got back" and large hips, I end up with mens pants that are way too long and also way too big in the waist.

Cheers,
Loonette
FIRST RESPONDERS DO IT WITH LIGHTS AND SIRENS!! :smoke:
Find 'em hot, leave 'em wet...

2006 Mean Streak 1600

msmoto
Rookie
Rookie

ladies' riding gear

#12 Unread post by msmoto »

Hi,
I landed in this forum in an online search for riding gear. After reading your posts, I just had to put my 2 cents worth in. I am an average-sized female (5' 5 3/8", US size 8 jacket & pants, size 6.5 shoes) - not to brag, for having average/medium female dimensions does no good whatsoever when searching for motorcycling apparel. After two years of searching, I have not found any riding gear that fits properly. I finally located gloves with fingers that are not 1"+ too long....but the palms are so wide as to bunch around my throttle! Miniaturized men's jackets, boots/shoes and gloves simply do not fit women...will they ever get it? Particularly amazing is that designers/manufacturers of ladies leather riding jackets evidently require certain customary portions of the female anatomy (even of humble average size) to be completely removed in order for the jackets to fit properly and comfortably. By now, I'm frustrated, at a loss, and seriously contemplating 'custom-made' everything.

blues2cruise
Years Riding: 16
My Motorcycle: 2000 Yamaha V-Star 1100

#13 Unread post by blues2cruise »

msmoto, I have the opposite problem with the gloves. I had to search for so long to finally find some gloves with long fingers. I finally found some and it made it so much more comfortable for having the hands curled around the grips. I don't feel the ends of the fingers of the gloves pressuring the finger tips now.
I'm not looking forward to my search for some winter gloves. I found a pair that were supposedly insulated, but they will only be good for Spring or Fall. They weren't very warm.

CrashGirl
Tricycle Squid
Tricycle Squid
Sex: Male

Hi

#14 Unread post by CrashGirl »

Hi there
I'm new here, But just wanted to let you know that Reflex gearr is doing custom suits for women. My friend Shandra, who races at WSRW, has a one picec by them and it is beautiful not to mention high quality. Plus it was not very expensive. After see hers I want one and sent in my designs to have a suit made, well they liked my work so.... long story short, I became a designer for them and designed a line of women suits Here is my link.
http://www.supersportbike.com/users/mot ... tsnew.html
:D

blues2cruise
Years Riding: 16
My Motorcycle: 2000 Yamaha V-Star 1100

#15 Unread post by blues2cruise »

CrashGirl, your designs look good.....for someone young and svelte. Around here where I live there are plenty of young slender women riders who wear clothing like yours.
As for me....I'll stick with my Joe Rocket jacket. It may be baggy, and a bit heavy ( because of the armour), but it's comfy and bright.

karlyn
Rookie
Rookie

#16 Unread post by karlyn »

Of course women's gear should be built just like men's protective gear because being safe chooses no one! 8)

Blexcroid
Rookie
Rookie

#17 Unread post by Blexcroid »

As a small woman, I too have had problems finding gear that fits. I finally landed with an Aerostitch Roadcrafter suit for temps under 95 degF or rainy days. The protection and body armour is outstanding and they even make hip pads that can be velcroed in if you're planning to do some aggressive riding. I zip off the one piece suit and I'm in my business clothes for work. It is waterproof, yet breathes to let the perspiration out when it is hot.
On days it is over 95degF, I wear my Rocket Girl jacket minus the lining.
It took months to find boots that fit my narrow foot (7AAAA), but the SIDI violets fit like a glove with my insoles.
FYI - I have seen leather chaps at a local western riding shop or rodeo for much less than most bike shops-- Who'd have thought... But they have chaps for all shapes & sizes and most do not have the fringe. Many of the leather and shoe repair shops also can make custom leather goods or perform alterations on items. Just a suggestion.

Loonette
Years Riding: 13
My Motorcycle: 2006/Kawasaki/Mean Streak/best bike ever

#18 Unread post by Loonette »

Blexcroid wrote:FYI - I have seen leather chaps at a local western riding shop or rodeo for much less than most bike shops-- Who'd have thought...
Careful!! Western wear is fashionable leather - not intended for motorcycling (unless it states so). Motorcycle leather is pretty thick, and it is also sewn with super-duper threading intended to hold up to a slider on the pavement. Western wear will not provide the same protection, which is why it is cheaper. Nice lookin' though... :wink:

Cheers,
Loonette
FIRST RESPONDERS DO IT WITH LIGHTS AND SIRENS!! :smoke:
Find 'em hot, leave 'em wet...

2006 Mean Streak 1600

Blexcroid
Rookie
Rookie

#19 Unread post by Blexcroid »

Loonette wrote:Careful!! Western wear is fashionable leather - not intended for motorcycling (unless it states so). Motorcycle leather is pretty thick, and it is also sewn with super-duper threading intended to hold up to a slider on the pavement. Western wear will not provide the same protection, which is why it is cheaper. Nice lookin' though... :wink:
Excellent point! I was thinking more of the chaps used by the bull riders, etc that are a very durable leather & construction. Thanks so much for clarifying not to look at the garden variety riding chaps!!

chickenhawk
Veteran
Veteran
Sex: Male

#20 Unread post by chickenhawk »

Firstgear has a good line of sturdy riding gear for women. Just look for the better known brands and you should be able to find plenty of choices. It's the difference between decorative riding clothes and practical riding gear I'm talking about- the practical will save your a$$! Also, just a side note, a Camelback waterer is great for a longer trip or a really hot day.
Linda