Ladies Riding Gear

Rebeccaatthewell
Veteran
Veteran
Sex: Male

#21 Unread post by Rebeccaatthewell »

I have still to find gloves that really fit. I have some small women's gloves that are too tight I think because they seem to cut off the circulation in two of my finders at about 20 miles :? , I finally found a pair of men's gloves that have batteries in them to keep your hands warm in winter, but the smalls are still to big for my hands. On the other hand I have a Leather jacket that I got from Wilson's leather shop and it is made out of very very heavy leather with a thinsolate (sp?) linner, and I use if for riding in the winter even thou it dosen;t say anywhere that it is a motorcycle jacket, it seems to be built like one except the sleeves don't curve in. Being an 18/20 it is impossible for me to find much of anything that I can afford on a teacher's salery LOL. In the summer I am riding without any jacket or leathers because I want a mesh jacket, but I just can't afford one yet. I guess it all comes down to money, if you have it, you can be safer, if you don't, you take your chances :) But that is ok, because how many people can say that they shape the future because of what they do for a living :).

Becca
The only time when evil can triamph, is when good men do nothing!

blues2cruise
Sex: Female
Years Riding: 16
My Motorcycle: 2000 Yamaha V-Star 1100

#22 Unread post by blues2cruise »

Rebeccaatthewell wrote:, I finally found a pair of men's gloves that have batteries in them to keep your hands warm in winter, but the smalls are still to big for my hands.

Becca
would you be able to tell me the brand name of the battery gloves?

Here's a tip to stretch out your tight gloves. Put on a pair of liner gloves. Get them wet. Then put your leather gloves over top of the wet liner gloves and wear them that way for a while.....like maybe if you sit down to watch a little TV. It should help to stretch your leather gloves a bit.

Rebeccaatthewell
Veteran
Veteran

#23 Unread post by Rebeccaatthewell »

The are Nordic Gear. They were apparently created for guys working on offshore oil rigs, but they work well for motorcycle riders :D

Becca

Ladymx
Site Supporter - Platinum

#24 Unread post by Ladymx »

chickenhawk wrote:......... a Camelback waterer is great for a longer trip or a really hot day.
Linda
Have to agree with the Camelback, it is a great invention.

I also found in winter that a good pair of snowmobiling gloves work well too. But a sure thing to break the wind when your in a jam is to cut a oil bottle in half and attach it to the handle bars for some wind protection, but not much of a fashion statement, but will keep your hands warmer.

JenM
Regular
Regular

#25 Unread post by JenM »

I'm glad to see that I'm not the only one noticing this. I wear a size 18-20 and haven't been able to find anything for less than $200. I have been looking at "women's jackets" online for 2 hours, and they claim a size 3X is a size 18?? What's up with THAT? :?
Where I come from a size 3X is a size 24. And then they put these little disclaimers on their sites that say "order a size larger than you normally wear". Huh? Well going by their weird sizes, I'd take a 4X, which would mean I should order a size 5X! I refuse to do that, out of sheer pride!

Loonette
Years Riding: 13
My Motorcycle: 2006/Kawasaki/Mean Streak/best bike ever

#26 Unread post by Loonette »

JenM wrote:and they claim a size 3X is a size 18?? What's up with THAT? :? Where I come from a size 3X is a size 24.
Comes from a crazy fashion industry that continually makes smaller sizes with larger numbers - as though there's not enough body-image shame going on in the world. At least European sizes are more uniformed, but it's not like that in the States. Like you, I've noticed that the few places that do offer large enough sizes, are much too expensive.

My top is about a 14/16, but my lower is more like a 16/18. I have found a good fit in the Joe Rocket ladies' Phoenix jacket (size 1X), but I can't even fit into their largest size of ladies' pants. :evil: So, when I wear protective pants, it's from the men's line, and they are WAAAAAAAAY too long. It's very aggravating, to say the least. I usually end up wearing regular jeans.

I wonder if a really good tailor could manage to work with tex-mesh material and resize the gear. Of course, that would get too expensive on top of the original purchase price. Argh... we should sign a petition-type letter and send it off to these manufacturers and dealers.

Cheers,
Loonette
FIRST RESPONDERS DO IT WITH LIGHTS AND SIRENS!! :smoke:
Find 'em hot, leave 'em wet...

2006 Mean Streak 1600

blues2cruise

#27 Unread post by blues2cruise »

I was trying on jackets last night. I am an average size just a bit taller. In clothes I wear a 12 or a 14 depending on what I am buyiing. I am a woman. Women have curves. So many manufacturers of jeans and skirts seem to have forgetten that. Women have curves. Listen up gear makers.

The jackets I was trying on last night were cut for very skinny hipped people. One jacket in a size L, could not even be zipped up. (Joe Rocket Cleo?) The other jacket (First Gear) could barely be zipped up. If I only ever stood still it would be fine, but it was so tight across the hips that as soon as you sit on your bike, the jacket will ride up and it will be like wearing a balloon.

I think they have targeted a very specific market and it doesn't include middle aged regular women.
I think I am going to try to find some Cordura Fabric and make my own jacket and pants. I can use my existing Joe Rocket jacket for a pattern to know where to place the armour.

Ladymx

#28 Unread post by Ladymx »

Good idea about making your own gear, but you may want to start a business out of it before the factory guys clue in to the idea.

blues2cruise

#29 Unread post by blues2cruise »

Chels wrote:Good idea about making your own gear, but you may want to start a business out of it before the factory guys clue in to the idea.
It's funny you should say that. I was just looking in the night school paper that came out for the local schoolboards. I circled "How to start Your Own Small Business". From reading what so many women have had to say, my friend and I were thinking a "Motorcycle Accessories Shop" exclusive for women might be something that could work.
I haven't the foggiest as to how to go about starting a business so I figured a good place to start would be this little course to see if it would be something I could do.

Now I have to find a source for the right fabric.

Rebeccaatthewell
Veteran
Veteran

#30 Unread post by Rebeccaatthewell »

There actually is a all woman's motorcycle website (store) called http://www.womanbiker.com. I have only bought reflective strips from them and can't speak for the sizes, but it is created and maintained by women. They don't have a large selection the last time I was there and they were expensive, but again they are women and cater only to women in the motorcycle world. :)

Becca