Ladies Riding Gear

Ladymx
Site Supporter - Platinum
Sex: Male

Ladies Riding Gear

#1 Unread post by Ladymx »

Is ladies riding gear just as good as the mens? Or do the manufactures think we dont ride as hard?

Loonette
Sex: Female
Years Riding: 13
My Motorcycle: 2006/Kawasaki/Mean Streak/best bike ever

#2 Unread post by Loonette »

From what I've noticed, it seems that gear which is manufactured for riding where they offer ladies' sizes, is okay - just as good as the men's gear. But when it comes to leather and footwear (especially the footwear), the ladies' gear is more fashionable than practical. Leather clogs for riding aren't even good for a passenger. Leather bras and vests - what good is that?! Oh, I suppose it's so the girls can look good when they show up at the bar. It just seems that the fashionable stuff should be sold in that category - not as "riding" gear.

There have been some changes though that I've noticed just in the past year. And I'm sure that as more of the riding population is women, there will be more gear available. After all, they want our money too!

Cheers,
Loonette
FIRST RESPONDERS DO IT WITH LIGHTS AND SIRENS!! :smoke:
Find 'em hot, leave 'em wet...

2006 Mean Streak 1600

roadqueen
Tricycle Squid
Tricycle Squid

Ladies riding gear

#3 Unread post by roadqueen »

Oxtar makes great ladies riding boots, leather with GoreTex so they are waterproof. They are a riders boot, not a passengers boot. I've been wearing Firstgear for years, it's made for women and is made exactly like their men's line. It's function first, fashion second. I do with they would make it A LITTLE more fashionable though. It's high quality stuff, the leather even comes with a lifetime warranty.

barmy_carmy
Legendary
Legendary

#4 Unread post by barmy_carmy »

Me I have the problem of getting any Motorcycle kit to fit me, as my size is age 13yrs not womens size 10, its always too big on hips, looks like i got a pair of jodpurs on, not to mention the length of the leg. I only got 26" inside leg. and I'm only size 2 feet. with gloves my size is xxxs and helmet size extra small. I got Akito MC boots which only cost me £40. My Nolan exlite helmet I got for £70 but that was because it was xxs, they were going for £250 at the time. I have got Akito MC jacket with the armour which cost me £35. But is slightly too big, I have a very small frame.
I'm not riding fast...........Just flying low!

Miss_C667
Regular
Regular

#5 Unread post by Miss_C667 »

barmy_carmy wrote:Me I have the problem of getting any Motorcycle kit to fit me.... But is slightly too big, I have a very small frame.
I don't envy you at all. My problem with bike kit is all proportions. I'm 5"2' and a size 14/ 16. I ended up with Mens trousers, (as the Womens were too slim fitting) so of course the legs are too long.

My gloves are extra small, because all the small gloves I've tried are too long in the fingers.

My jacket does fit, but I may have to get some reflective strips or something.

I've noticed that all the places I've been for kit tend to aim at a very specific type of female. If you don't want to wear racing style leathers or very short leather jackets, you're in trouble basically.
[i]Don't touch that please, your primitive intellect wouldn't understand things with alloys and compositions and things with... molecular structures. [/i]

barmy_carmy
Legendary
Legendary

#6 Unread post by barmy_carmy »

Totally agree with you C667. Not into race gear and bright colours, wish they would do different sizes for people like us, See usually in the kids section, they are clothes for toddlers and young kids, but they dont do the proper bike gear for age 12 -13yrs or for the smaller stocky person. How can we change things? :roll:
I'm not riding fast...........Just flying low!

Ladymx

#7 Unread post by Ladymx »

You'll have to bug the dealers and maker of riding gear for some changes in sizing and the type of gear. The more people that bug them, the more likely the change. I do my share and have seen some changes, very slow. Im sure as the market grows there will be more of a market.

chickenhawk
Veteran
Veteran

#8 Unread post by chickenhawk »

Times are a changin'. Just got a pair of First Gear riding pants at a show- I've never seen any in women's sizes at these before, but the BMW dealer had 3 brands and all the sizes in each.

blues2cruise
Sex: Female
Years Riding: 16
My Motorcycle: 2000 Yamaha V-Star 1100

#9 Unread post by blues2cruise »

The problem is everything is made for "so called average" people, but, really, how many "average" people do you know?

Unlike a couple of you who are tiny, I am tall. I suspect unless I buy custom made, I will never own leather.
I have a ladies Joe Rocket Ballistic jacket that I got on sale. I suspect it was half price because of the bright colour and reflective stripe. (Not so cool with the younger crowd) I like the bright yellow and around here visibility is so necessary because of the multi tasking inept drivers.

So far I have not been able to find any "official" motorcycle pants because the dealers around here are catering for the young, skinny crowd.

Ladymx

#10 Unread post by Ladymx »

Pants have been a problem for me too, but I hope soon that the makes of the cloths will get the female line more in line and sort out their sizing. It would be a big help to a lot of people, maybe we should be emailing the makers to make different sizes, they may not think there is a need for other sizes which they are not making.