Sex: Male
Years Riding: 32
My Motorcycle: 2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Stone

Motorcycle maker focuses on minorities and women to maintain

#1 Unread post by totalmotorcycle »

I thought this might be interesting to our lady bikers:

Motorcycle maker focuses on minorities and women to maintain its sales growth
By JAMES B. KELLEHER - Reuters News Service - chron.com

CHICAGO — Harley-Davidson insists it isn't nervous. But analysts and others who watch the Milwaukee-based company say it's in the middle of a coming-of-age drama that might be called Uneasy Rider.

As the baby boomers who transformed Harley's rumbling, lumbering bikes from countercultural totems into American icons enter their senior years — the leading edge of the generation is turning 60 this year — they're increasingly in the market for knee and hip replacements, not Harley's notoriously bone-shaking bikes.

That's forcing the company to scramble to find new customers among women, blacks and Hispanics, groups that have not been traditional Harley-Davidson riders.

The quest has involved the development and rollout of new products, like the 883 Sportster Low, built for smaller, lighter riders, and new marketing efforts, like Harley's TV ad campaign during this year's NCAA tournament.

And the effort is showing some signs of success. Female ridership has quintupled in recent years. Today, women like Janeen Wingo, a 33-year-old resident of Calumet City, Ill., who bought a Harley-Davidson 1200 Sportster last summer, account for one in 10 of the company's sales, up from one in 50 just 15 years ago.

But as Harley-Davidson tries to adapt to the changing marketplace, analysts say it needs to avoid the pitfalls that other baby boomer-favored businesses, like Levi Strauss & Co., have fallen into as they tried to navigate a similar transformation.

"How do they do it without hurting existing customers and destroying the brand?" asks Geoff Meredith, the president of Lifestage Matrix Marketing, a California consulting group that specializes in aging baby boomers and has worked with Levi Strauss. "That's the $64 million question."

For manufacturers of recreational vehicles, like Forest City, Iowa-based Winnebago Industries, the aging of the nearly 80 million Americans born between 1946 and 1964 represents the beginning of a golden age.

For Harley-Davidson, it represents the end of one. While the company has been making motorcycles since 1903, it only really became part of popular culture after World War II. Two events stand out: the demise, in 1953, of Hendee Manufacturing, its sole remaining domestic competitor and the maker of the Indian motorcycle, and the popularity, in 1969, of the countercultural road movie Easy Rider.

"Half their demand is from guys 40 to 50 years old," says Bob Simonson, an analyst for William Blair & Co. in Chicago.

But that cohort, Simonson and others says, can no longer be counted on.

"In the 13 years ended 2004, that group was growing at a 1 to 4 percent rate every year," Simonson says. "Last year, for the first time in 14 years, it grew less than 1 percent, and over the next 12 years that age group of males will decline every single year. They're going from having the demographic wind at their back to having it in their face."

Joanne Bischmann, vice president of marketing at Harley, admits that "the demographics are changing," although she insists the change isn't as dramatic as some have suggested.

But there are still groups the company would like to reach better, she said.

To reach out to the black community, Harley has begun sponsoring the nationally syndicated show of Tom Joyner, an African-American radio host whose program is heard by as many as 8 million U.S. listeners. Harley is also advertising during the college basketball tournament that dominates the sports calendar from mid-March to early April and is sponsoring the Roundup, an African-American version of the annual gathering of bikers in Sturgis, S.D.

To reach younger Hispanics, the company is advertising in Latino magazines Hombre and Fuego and is participating in low-rider shows.

And to reach women, it's putting a four-page insert into Jane, Allure, Glamour and two other Conde Nast magazines, featuring what Bischmann says are "real women riders." It's also hosting garage parties for women — not unlike the get-togethers that Tupperware, Avon, Mary Kay and others use.
NEW 2024 Motorcycle Model Guides
2023 Motorcycle Model Guides

Total Motorcycle is official Media/Press for Aprilia, Benelli, Beta, Bimota, BMW, Brammo, Buell, Can-Am, CCW, Ducati, EBR, Harley-Davidson, Honda, Husqvarna, Husaberg, Hyosung, Indian, Kawasaki, KTM, KYMCO, LiveWire, Moto Guzzi, Moto Morini, MV Agusta, Norton, Phantom, Piaggio, Polaris, Ridley, Roehr, Royal Enfield, Suzuki, Triumph, Ural, Vespa, Victory, Yamaha and Zero.

Lion_Lady
Sex: Female
Years Riding: 20
My Motorcycle: 2013 BMW R1200R 90th Anniversary

Re: Motorcycle maker focuses on minorities and women to main

#2 Unread post by Lion_Lady »

totalmotorcycle wrote:I thought this might be interesting to our lady bikers:

CHICAGO — Harley-Davidson insists it isn't nervous. But analysts and others who watch the Milwaukee-based company say it's in the middle of a coming-of-age drama that might be called Uneasy Rider.

...And to reach women, it's putting a four-page insert into Jane, Allure, Glamour and two other Conde Nast magazines, featuring what Bischmann says are "real women riders." It's also hosting GARAGE PARTIES for women — not unlike the get-togethers that Tupperware, Avon, Mary Kay and others use.

OH, puh-LEEZ!!! Image

P
Courage in women is often mistaken for insanity - Alice Paul

storysunfolding
Years Riding: 22
My Motorcycle: Vstrom 650, S1000RR, XS850, ZX6R

#3 Unread post by storysunfolding »

Lion_Lady wrote:

...And to reach women, it's putting a four-page insert into Jane, Allure, Glamour and two other Conde Nast magazines, featuring what Bischmann says are "real women riders." It's also hosting GARAGE PARTIES for women — not unlike the get-togethers that Tupperware, Avon, Mary Kay and others use.

OH, puh-LEEZ!!! Image

P
Come on Pam? Wouldn't you open the door if you heard a knock, a thunderous growl and "Good afternoon, Harley calling"
My Blog

Grasp life by the handlebars

blues2cruise
Years Riding: 16
My Motorcycle: 2000 Yamaha V-Star 1100

Ladies Garage Party

#4 Unread post by blues2cruise »

Funny this topic should come up right now. I was at a ladies garage party last night. It was hosted by Trev Deeley Harley Davidson here in Vancouver.
First and foremost, it was not a salespitch.
Last night I learned how to change oil and an oil filter. I also learned how to change the air filter. (Yes, it was hands on) I also learned how to adjust the clutch cable and how to check to see if it needed adjustment.
The tires and brakes etc, were also discussed.
There was coffee and snacks at the beginning and then at break time, veggies and fruit and sandwiches and sushi.....
There were a couple of draws for a prize and a gift certificate.
And, we could shop after and receive a 15% discount.
The staff were there to answer questions and at no time did anyone try to sell anything.
As we left for the evening, we received some flowers to take home.

Not everyone there had a bike and a lot of people there (including myself) don't have Harley's.

There is a certain mystique about Harley's that they are for "bad boys". It can be somewhat intimidating for a lot of women to go to a Harley dealer without knowing there's more to them than the Hells' Angels.
This is a good way for the dealers to #1 get exposure and #2 introduce women to them that wouldn't necessarily go there in the first place.

The service guys who put on the seminar/demos were very helpful and were never ever condescending when asked a question.
Unfortunately some dealers around still have not figured out that women are willing to spend some cash and thus they lose or never get business from women.
I bet Deeley's generates new customers by showing a better attitude to women.

Z (fka Sweet Tooth)
Site Supporter - Gold
Site Supporter - Gold

#5 Unread post by Z (fka Sweet Tooth) »

The Harley dealership down here is a long way from being intimidating. It's actualy a beautiful store. I did notice more womens things there now than before, shirts, tanktops etc.... Also noticed that now they have females on the sales staff.

Lion_Lady
Years Riding: 20
My Motorcycle: 2013 BMW R1200R 90th Anniversary

#6 Unread post by Lion_Lady »

storysunfolding wrote:
Lion_Lady wrote:

OH, puh-LEEZ!!! Image

P
Come on Pam? Wouldn't you open the door if you heard a knock, a thunderous growl and "Good afternoon, Harley calling"
Sorry, I'd tell them to go away... I ride a BMW.

One thing I love about my BMW is that it the engine sound doesn't disturb my neighbors when I leave for work at 5am. I don't need to sit and idle for any length of time. Not even on a COLD day.

As for the garage help: Its something that my BMW dealer has done for many years... sessions to teach new owners different maintenance tasks.

My BMW club has "Tech Days" where someone opens their garage and driveway to all interested. Folks show up to do assorted simple and complex tasks with help and encouragement from others. I'm planning to do my 12K service at our Tech Day, on Sunday.

Looks like HD is finally joining in on what BMW owners have done and known for years.

Pam
Courage in women is often mistaken for insanity - Alice Paul

cbm
Veteran
Veteran

#7 Unread post by cbm »

I have had only good experiences with all of the dealerships I've visited in my city, including H-D which actually has the cleanest and most beautiful showroom of them all. (Now I think I know why H-D's are priced so high!!) The dealership where I bought my bike has a couple of women's nights each year where they teach basic maintenance and give out good deals on apparel and accessories. No intimidation, no condescension...nice.

sapaul
Legendary 2000
Legendary 2000
Years Riding: 90
My Motorcycle: 2011 R1200R 07 BMW GS, Kymco 250 little

#8 Unread post by sapaul »

OH NO Pam has tolen my title of the BMW Pimp-meister :(
I spent my therapy money an a K1200S
The therapy worked, I got a GS now
A touch of insanity crept back in the shape of an R1200R

SheRidesABeemer
Rookie
Rookie

#9 Unread post by SheRidesABeemer »

Lion_Lady wrote: Sorry, I'd tell them to go away... I ride a BMW.

One thing I love about my BMW is that it the engine sound doesn't disturb my neighbors when I leave for work at 5am. I don't need to sit and idle for any length of time. Not even on a COLD day.

As for the garage help: Its something that my BMW dealer has done for many years... sessions to teach new owners different maintenance tasks.

My BMW club has "Tech Days" where someone opens their garage and driveway to all interested. Folks show up to do assorted simple and complex tasks with help and encouragement from others. I'm planning to do my 12K service at our Tech Day, on Sunday.

Looks like HD is finally joining in on what BMW owners have done and known for years.

Pam
I sure wish BMW would get their act together about women riders. Their advertising continues to ignore, if not insult, women riders. The only women you see in their ads are on the back, or next to the bike and their man. Image

Gail
Don’t put the bike away, [url=http://www.yearroundriders.com/]ride year round![/url]
BMW '03 K1200GT
BMW '87 K75

Loonette
Site Supporter - Platinum
Site Supporter - Platinum
Years Riding: 13
My Motorcycle: 2006/Kawasaki/Mean Streak/best bike ever

#10 Unread post by Loonette »

totalmotorcycle wrote:And to reach women, it's putting a four-page insert into Jane, Allure, Glamour and two other Conde Nast magazines, featuring what Bischmann says are "real women riders."
What about the "real women riders" like me who like to read B!tch, Ms., Utne, or Mothering magazines? Well, I've always known that marketing folk don't care too much about those of us living a life uncommon, but it just further demonstrates that HD, along with many other companies, make grand attempts to relate to the general masses in order to maximize their advertising powers. They just want your money like everyone else.

I guess I'm just not the type to let gimmicks sway my interests. I look around at what's out there, and I decide what appeals to me based on good information and whether or not the machine makes my heart purr. I think the garage parties are a cute idea, but I'd rather see a local group of women organize a grassroots effort for educating new riders - men and women alike. Ask a local mechanic whom you trust if they'd come and do a presentation for a reasonable fee - take donations to pay the mechanic. Or whatever. The HD news releases just seem so cheesy.

Cheers,
Loonette
FIRST RESPONDERS DO IT WITH LIGHTS AND SIRENS!! :smoke:
Find 'em hot, leave 'em wet...

2006 Mean Streak 1600