Cornering and Turning

Jam
Rookie
Rookie

Cornering and Turning

#1 Unread post by Jam »

Hi everyone, I am somewhat new here and I am a speedboarder. I am very interested in learning about motorcycle racing techniques because it relaly does help with my DH (downhill, another term for speedboarding).

Anyway, I was wondering I you all go about taking turns in motorcycle racing. As in, what is you line and stuff like that.
My friend and I were debating about lines and stuff, particularly which would be better: a very tight inside line, or an outside, inside, then outside type line (as in you stay on the outside as long as possible and then you cut into the inside at the apex)

So what do you guys do?
Thanks!

sharpmagna
Legendary 750
Legendary 750
Sex: Male

#2 Unread post by sharpmagna »

It'll depend on the turn as well as the turn before it, and after.
1987 Honda <B>SUPER</B> Magna
[i]Bikesexual - I like to ride it long and hard...[/i]

norcal
Regular
Regular

#3 Unread post by norcal »

+1

Its all about drive to the next corner and set up. Try thinking several corners ahead. I could care less if you get there before me if it screws you on your drive into the next corner which could make the one after that even worse.

Its all about the drive no matter what. Entry speed is one thing as long as you can get a great drive to the next corner. I would rather come out of a corner like a rocket and on the gas 20 feet before someone than come into a corner like a spaceship and not get a good drive.

norcal
Lets get out and ride.

Rydr
Elite
Elite

#4 Unread post by Rydr »

The following information is from Keith Code who runs a Motorcycle Race School.

Cornering Technology

Understanding something as simple as straightening out a corner is valuable riding technology. Having a "line" really means: How the rider is organizing and controlling space; the space is the corner in front of him.

The straighten-out-the-corner technology organizes that space in its most efficient manner. For example, it allows for a better, more flowing control of the bike; more efficient use of its power delivery systems and gains access for the rider to the bike's best handling characteristics, which in turn improves traction.

Using this technology to handle corners has proven itself reliable since the very first motorcycle. Regardless of machine upgrades, it works. Once any procedure is established which resolves problems and yields a consistent result, whether it is riding or machine bits, it can be correctly categorized as "technology".

Both riding and machine technology should come together: the bike's technological advances, if they are truly advances, allow you to better control the machine and, in turn, make it easier to straighten out the corner. The bike's technology helps the rider achieve an improved result. If it is correct technology, one compliments the other.

Technique

"Technique" is different, it sits on top of the technology. It is more how it looks and feels than how it works. A 125cc GP rider straightens out the corners quite differently than the Moto GP rider. Different technique, same technology.

The 125 GP bike rider has little acceleration and so must preserve all the momentum (corner speed) he can. The Moto Gp rider wants to get pointed quickly and get his 250 hp to the ground. The form (technique) is different but the function (the technology) is the same.

For more information on Motorcycle racing technique:
http://forums.superbikeschool.com/index ... wtopic=517