RaceTrack Petition: STOP 'RACE CITY' FROM CLOSING!!

QuietMonkey
Legendary 750
Legendary 750
Sex: Male

RaceTrack Petition: STOP 'RACE CITY' FROM CLOSING!!

#1 Unread post by QuietMonkey »

Hey Sportbike fans,

Please read the attached email and sign the petition to keep Calgary's Race City Motorsport Park alive!!

The author, Kellie Sands, runs local track days for women riders, and Canadian and American Superbike fans may recognize Clint McBain our local National Class Superbike and Sportbike racer!

Help support the track which provides excellent roadracing and track day events for thousands of sportbike riders, as well as sportscar, drag racing, oval track enthusiasts and those great outdoor music concerts for guitar wailing, frontman howling, drum blasting tunes echoing across the land! --- with apologies to Les Claypool for no mention of his legendary bass guitar BOMP ;-)

//monkey

Date: Thu Jan 17 16:20:57 2008
Subject: STOP RACE CITY FROM CLOSING!!

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Thursday, January 17, 2008 11:18 AM
Subject: STOP RACE CITY FROM CLOSING!!

The city of Calgary has decided to end its lease in 2010 - that means NO
TRACK!

I beg, plead & urge everyone of you to PLEASE take 2 minutes & sign this
petition.....

http://www.petitiononline.com/racecity/petition.html

Kellie Sands
One Track Mind Ltd.
"Zounds! Zorched by Zarches, Spaceman Spiff's crippled craft crashes on planet Plootarg!"

For Sale: Ninja 600 with parts bike, needs minor work, $30, no title... (GEE THAT DOESNT RING ANY WARNING BELLS DOES IT?)

Johnj
Site Supporter - Platinum
Site Supporter - Platinum
Years Riding: 34
My Motorcycle: A Bolt of Lightning

#2 Unread post by Johnj »

Who owns the track?
People say I'm stupid and apathetic. I don't know what that means, and I don't care.
Always wear a helmet, eye protection, and protective clothing. Never ride under the influence of drugs or alcohol.

QuietMonkey
Legendary 750
Legendary 750

#3 Unread post by QuietMonkey »

His name slips my mind, and I even googled to locate him... he's a local guy, comes by his money via the oil industry, and has owned it for quite a awhile, 10+ years I think, since the first owner was another local, Ben Doctor. Strange that I can't think of his name... the current Manager, Rome, however has been there for only a couple years.

The thing that has always hurt them as far as really investing in the track is that the city gave them a 25-year conditional lease that requires renewal every 5 years, and the land values have gotten so high here lately as our city has been in a big boom the last 5+ years that things are out of hand.

One of many rumors circulating over the past few years has been that some big retail chain, like Wal-mart wants to drop a warehouse on the land, and of course the city welcomes business and money, etc.

The track is on the VERY edge of the east city limits, and located near a City Dump to boot, so even though it now has a few urban areas nearby, and retail stores (within say 5-10 kms (3-6 miles)) it really has become a large industrial area down there. and it's just flat prarie and some swampy sloughs, and wet-land area. Funny how the area around the track has been a bit of a wet-land zone for birds and also home for a few coyotes and such over the years... but they are getting pushed out all the time due to newer developments too.

Here's a news article I found while googling:
http://calsun.canoe.ca/News/Alberta/200 ... 72786.html

and here's the tracks web-site:
www.racecity.com

and a google-maps link too: oval track, 1/4-mile dragstrip and the attached 2-mile roadcourse on this narrow and long strip of land:
http://maps.google.ca/maps?hl=en&q=%22r ... a=N&tab=wl
"Zounds! Zorched by Zarches, Spaceman Spiff's crippled craft crashes on planet Plootarg!"

For Sale: Ninja 600 with parts bike, needs minor work, $30, no title... (GEE THAT DOESNT RING ANY WARNING BELLS DOES IT?)